targeting foul

vandyfan1

Can someone explain to me the rule on this I thought players get ejected for this foul. Is that not what happens in highschool football. We had a player from another team get this targeting foul he left his feet and lead with his helmet making contact with the other players helmet. They called it a personal foul. I know people have their different opinions on this but just curious of the rule at the highschool level.

No such thing as targeting in high school. Not by name at least. It is illegal helmet contact or spearing. In college you have the ejection but in high school you only get an ejection if the officials believe it was a deliberate or intentional act with the desire to create an injury.

So if this play happened and the kid had not been having any other issues during game. The correct call is probally the PF (personal foul) 15 yards from end of the run or previous spot depending on results of the play. Hope this helps clear it up some

ðŸ‘

I understand that it's about the safety of the kids and I'm all for it but on another note I've noticed in several games this year they seem to be really late on blowing the whistle when forward progress is stopped and the runner is still fighting for extra yards. When this happens your always going to have a defender come in and lay a lick to stop it. It's kinda like they're getting set up for a foul

It is a tough line to toe when its time for a whistle in that situation. Too quick and as you are blowing the whistle the ball carrier squirts out other side, too late and you get someone trying to deliver a huge blow. These instances dont really match up to targeting (illegal helmet contact) is more on defenseless players and/or just launching with contact above shoulders.

I understand that it's about the safety of the kids and I'm all for it but on another note I've noticed in several games this year they seem to be really late on blowing the whistle when forward progress is stopped and the runner is still fighting for extra yards. When this happens your always going to have a defender come in and lay a lick to stop it. It's kinda like they're getting set up for a foul

Very good point!

It is a tough line to toe when its time for a whistle in that situation. Too quick and as you are blowing the whistle the ball carrier squirts out other side, too late and you get someone trying to deliver a huge blow. These instances dont really match up to targeting (illegal helmet contact) is more on defenseless players and/or just launching with contact above shoulders.

I agree, it's a fine line