Homecoming in Alnwick (WB vs HVA)

Governm

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only question is where has that defensive effort been since the DB game? HVA did the same things we've struggled to stop all year and we did a good job of slowing them down. Dykes had a lot of carries where he got no gain or only one or two yards. After seeing the way the Govs have competed with HVA and DB, the losses to Bearden and Jeff Co suck even more. Those are games we definitely should have won. Oh well, learn from it and do what it takes to win next time.

G91 cood hit bee corchin' orr moeteevashun...???...... :popcorneater:

Starz,

I suspect the problem will remedy itself as more classes from the new middle school program come in. In my opinion, the younger guys on the team play harder across the board than the older guys. The reason being is the younger guys are coming from a winning culture. A lot of the older players played on losing teams at the middle school level and have been losing for three or four years in high school. That's not to say that there arent some upperclassmen that play hard, but there is a noticeable difference between in the amount of effort shown by the younger players that get significant playing time on friday nights.

Edited by Governors91

Starz,

I suspect the problem will remedy itself as more classes from the new middle school program come in. In my opinion, the younger guys on the team play harder across the board than the older guys. The reason being is the younger guys are coming from a winning culture. A lot of the older players played on losing teams at the middle school level and have been losing for three or four years in high school. That's not to say that there arent some upperclassmen that play hard, but there is a noticeable difference between in the amount of effort shown by the younger players that get significant playing time on friday nights.

Sew Shad haz knott ben abull two moeteevate tha varsittee teem...???....

Sew Shad haz knott ben abull two moeteevate tha varsittee teem...???....

I'm not sure what your intentions are with these questions, but I think Shad has done a good job. I can think of a number of individual players who have grown a lot this year. I've also seen the team as a whole grow a lot in some ways. Motivation is not like turning on a light switch, it is a process. It's also more challenging when you're trying to motivate a team that has the baggage of losing for a decade. The young players that are in the program and coming into the program dont have as much baggage so the process will be quicker with them. Also, they are used to winning and consistently doing what it takes to win. Dont you think there's a difference between trying to coach up kids who have won in middle school and kids who won 1 or 2 games in middle school and 3 or less games in each year of high school? Edited by Governors91

I'm not sure what your intentions are with these questions, but I think Shad has done a good job. I can think of a number of individual players who have grown a lot this year. I've also seen the team as a whole grow a lot in some ways. Motivation is not like turning on a light switch, it is a process. It's also more challenging when you're trying to motivate a team that has the baggage of losing for a decade. The young players that are in the program and coming into the program dont have as much baggage so the process will be quicker with them. Also, they are used to winning and consistently doing what it takes to win. Dont you think there's a difference between trying to coach up kids who have won in middle school and kids who won 1 or 2 games in middle school and 3 or less games in each year of high school?

Welp '91 eye weal say if'un preeveeus losin' seesuns = "baggage".... whurthur thait iz yung playurs, oldur playurs, losin' playurs two engrees and playurs jist qwittin' orr gettin' tham moeteevated..... then ewe wood haiv two say Tim Hammontree shood bee corch ov tha yeer......Thay've lost moore thain ennybodee inn reecent yeers.......jmo... :popcorneater:

Welp '91 eye weal say if'un preeveeus losin' seesuns = "baggage".... whurthur thait iz yung playurs, oldur playurs, losin' playurs two engrees and playurs jist qwittin' orr gettin' tham moeteevated..... then ewe wood haiv two say Tim Hammontree shood bee corch ov tha yeer......Thay've lost moore thain ennybodee inn reecent yeers.......jmo... :popcorneater:

Stars, that's a good point. No question Coach Hammontree has changed the culture at Heritage.  They have also benefitted from dropping down a classification.  Unfortunately, I believe they have to jump back up next year.  From being up in the box on Friday nights, the most encouraging thing to me is the large number of sophomores & juniors who's names I've been calling out a lot.  I know everyone thinks (broken record) but in my opinion, I think it's realistic to think the Govs should be able to possibly win a couple more of these close games next year.  We've added a couple of good coaches this year and that has certainly helped.  The other key, as we all know, will be retaining those middle schoolers.  There's a couple of them that are as good as any I remember coming up in a long, long time.  And all across the board they will help.  We also have a behemouth six grader that I believe is going to be dominant.  They call him Bubba!

Stars, that's a good point. No question Coach Hammontree has changed the culture at Heritage.  They have also benefitted from dropping down a classification.  Unfortunately, I believe they have to jump back up next year.  From being up in the box on Friday nights, the most encouraging thing to me is the large number of sophomores & juniors who's names I've been calling out a lot.  I know everyone thinks (broken record) but in my opinion, I think it's realistic to think the Govs should be able to possibly win a couple more of these close games next year.  We've added a couple of good coaches this year and that has certainly helped.  The other key, as we all know, will be retaining those middle schoolers.  There's a couple of them that are as good as any I remember coming up in a long, long time.  And all across the board they will help.  We also have a behemouth six grader that I believe is going to be dominant.  They call him Bubba!

G-Unit lett me ennurjeck rite hear....

a. No dowt bein' inn 5A haz hepped. Butt Hambone lost hiz best playur two Alcoee beefour tha seesun startid, lost hiz furst strang QB inn tha pre-seesun two engree, lost a vurry goodur playur hoo qwit a cupple weaks ago and lost hiz best WR/baskitbawl playur two a engree laist weak and steal haz tham playin' hard and eye've knott heered tham maik enny eggscuses....

2. Ewe ere rite tha yung Yoakum feller looks like a keaper az do sum othurs....

c. Do ewe know ennythang abowt ole Bubba's garbige servuss...???....... :popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

G-Unit lett me ennurjeck rite hear....

a. No dowt bein' inn 5A haz hepped. Butt Hambone lost hiz best playur two Alcoee beefour tha seesun startid, lost hiz furst strang QB inn tha pre-seesun two engree, lost a vurry goodur playur hoo qwit a cupple weaks ago and lost hiz best WR/baskitbawl playur two a engree laist weak and steal haz tham playin' hard and eye've knott heered tham maik enny eggscuses....

2. Ewe ere rite tha yung Yoakum feller looks like a keaper az do sum othurs....

c. Do ewe know ennythang abowt ole Bubba's garbige servuss...???....... :popcorneater:

Stars, you're spot on.  Wasn't trying to take away from what Coach Ham has accomplished.  Concerning Nick, I knew he was good (both football and basketball) but quite honestly didn't realize how fast he was till Friday night.  On the long td, he just ran off and left the HV defenders.  And as far as Bubba, not sure who's picking up  his garbage, but his momma cuts my hair ... so look for me to keep it nice, neat, and trimmed regularly for the next few years.  :mrgreen: