The new 5A Class with current enrollment numbers!

FridayMainEvent

Forgive my ignorance but with Kirby also moving to 5A, is there a team that could move to 7-5A? I admit I don't know the geography of where Brighton, Dyer Co or any team in 8-5A if it's feasible for that to be an option. The Montgomery County schools probably dictate that that drive is too excessive. Thus creating a 9 team region 8-5A. Just curious.

They are all much closer to Memphis and should be in that region.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive my ignorance but with Kirby also moving to 5A, is there a team that could move to 7-5A? I admit I don't know the geography of where Brighton, Dyer Co or any team in 8-5A if it's feasible for that to be an option. The Montgomery County schools probably dictate that that drive is too excessive. Thus creating a 9 team region 8-5A. Just curious.

Dyer County would be the closest.  It would be roughly a 2.5 hour trip across the district if that were to happen which I do not think it will. 

White Co. is one of the casualties of the excessive classes in football. There's no good placement for them. TSSAA could have easily placed them with Rutherford and Sumner last time around but chose instead to mix time zones and put White Co. in Region 4. Who knows what they'll do this time, but there is that most recent precedent, plus a quick Google Maps inquiry reveals that the avg. distance/ drive time from White Co. HS to the 5 other schools (Catholic, Lenoir City, Rhea, Soddy, Walker Valley) projected above for Region 4 is 81 miles/ 1 hour 28 minutes. Again using Google Maps the schools projected above for Region 5 avg. 90 miles/ 1 hour 45 minutes from White Co. HS. Projected Region 6 schools avg. 96 miles/ 1 hour 31 minutes from White Co. HS. Also wouldn't think the TSSAA would want to break apart a pair of otherwise sensible regions (5 and 6) just to better accommodate White Co. -- especially considering no truly good fit can be achieved. But, again, who knows.

Personally as a parent, I would drive 17 more minutes per Friday to watch my boys play Lincoln County and Franklin County vs Knox Catholic and Rhea 😉. Most 3A programs have bigger rosters than we do.

Some of these schools will have it tough. I wouldn't mind if there was some kind of process where a team could play down-only if it was for location issues and not competition issues. Maybe if they're one of the bottom 20 percent of their original class, or no more than 20 percent higher than the largest in the lower class, etc. Or even 10 percent.

They have put us in the chattanooga region before.  Wouldn't surprise me.

Well it is not really a Chattanooga region. :)  Soddy is the only team in Hamilton County and they are Northern Hamilton County.  Walker Valley is in Bradley and are the Northern most school in terms of location in Bradley.  And Rhea County is like the red headed step child or the long lost cousin Chattanooga claims when they have to.  :) 

I think at least one possibly 2 of the greater Knoxville area schools closest to these are more than likely going to end up in the same region with this group of schools along with Lenoir City. 

The addition of the 4 other schools puts way too many schools in the eastern part of the state  to not push someone into the 4th region.