2017-2021 Classifications

REVDL

If you attended a rules meeting this week they said that in 2017 they plan to split A/AA into 4 Regions. I tried taking a look at the proposed classifications and what our current Dual models show and based on a model that would take each dual Region and pair them together with the next Region (i.e. Region 1&2, Region 3&4, etc...) This is the best I could come up with what 4 Regions would look like. Take a look I tried to balance them out as best possible and take the time zone changes into account. The TSSAA will probably do something completely different but I thought I would have a little fun looking at what things will look like next year.

A/AA Region Classifications 2017-2021

Region 1 (13 Teams)

Chucky Doak

Elizabethton

Fulton

Gibbs

Grainger

Greeneville

Happy Valley

Northview Academy

Pigeon Forge

Sullivan East

Sullivan South

Union Co

West Greene

Region 2 (12 Teams)

Alcoa

Boyd Buchanan

Brainard

Chattanooga Central

Cumberland Co

East Ridge

Greenback

Kingston

Livingston Academy

McMinn Central

Sequoyah

Tyner Academy

Region 3 (12 Teams)

Cheatham Co

Greenbrier

Harpeth

Hixson

Howard School

Red Bank

Sale Creek

Sequatchie

Signal Mtn

Sycamore

Whitehouse

Whitwell

Region 4 (16 Teams)

Creek Wood

Eagleview

East Nashville Magnet

Fairview

Forrest

Grace Christian Franklin

Hamilton

Hume-Fogg

Martin Luther King Jr

Millington Central

Memphis East

Nolensville

Pearl Cohn

Stratford

Watertown

Whites Creek

Sending the Cheatham County teams through Nashville to compete with Chattanooga? I think that's unlikely. Geographically, Eagleville would be the first team to go that way, but that would be a seriously stacked region. My first thought would be to move the two Williamson County teams. That said, if you were to combine the dual regions, I think 5 goes with 7 and 6 with 8, adjusting the Memphis teams appropriately.

Grainger is new to wrestling this year.  At least, we were told to save room on our schedule for them when we attended the rules meeting.

As far as Boyd-Buchanan, they can choose to stay public and follow the rules just like Knoxville Catholic has chosen to do.  I don't have any information concerning what Boyd-B has decided to do.  They are not forced to move.

Edited by TDArtist

Grainger is new to wrestling this year.  At least, we were told to save room on our schedule for them when we attended the rules meeting.

As far as Boyd-Buchanan, they can choose to stay public and follow the rules just like Knoxville Catholic has chosen to do.  I don't have any information concerning what Boyd-B has decided to do.  They are not forced to move.

TDArtist,

per the 2017-2021 classifications posted on the TSSAA website (link below) it looks like Boyd-Buchanan will be moving to DII along with nearly all of the other private schools.  Notre Dame and a few others appear to be coming back over.

http://tssaa.org/school-classifications-by-sport-2017-2021/#dii-wrestling

The only private schools that look like they may be staying DI were Grace Christian Academy, Knox Catholic, & Hardin Valley Academy (I may have missed some as I just did a quick scan).

TDArtist,

per the 2017-2021 classifications posted on the TSSAA website (link below) it looks like Boyd-Buchanan will be moving to DII along with nearly all of the other private schools. Notre Dame and a few others appear to be coming back over.

http://tssaa.org/school-classifications-by-sport-2017-2021/#dii-wrestling

The only private schools that look like they may be staying DI were Grace Christian Academy, Knox Catholic, & Hardin Valley Academy (I may have missed some as I just did a quick scan).

Garrett, Hardin Valley Academy is a public school in Knoxville, it is part of the Knox county school system.

McMinn Co Pipeline Rebooted...

http://m.dailypostat...4.html?mode=jqm

Middle school wrestling starts in McMinn

Area wrestling may have just gotten the jump start it needed.

A middle school wrestling program will start Monday that will enable middle-school aged students to gain experience before entering the high school ranks.

Unlike perennial state wrestling powers Cleveland and Bradley Central, McMinn County's wrestling team did not have a middle school program to draw from. That resulted in many of McMinn's wrestlers hitting the mat for the first time as they entered high school while the freshmen for the Raiders and Bears often have several years of experience under their belt.

McMinn County Coach Dave Stoika has wanted a middle school program for years.

"Now we can catch up and compete with them," Stoika said.

Stoika said a good middle school program is critical to high school success.

"In order to have a successful program, you must have a feeder program," Stoika said. "We've had a youth group, AAU wrestling, for 15 years, but that's not enough. It's better than nothing, but it's not enough."

Stoika will coach the middle school program this year, as well as at the high school.

The middle school program will be open to all 6th-, 7th- and 8th-grade county school system students. McMinn County School System Student Management Supervisor Lee Parkinson said Athens City Middle School students as well as those in Etowah are free to participate.

Practice begins on Monday, Sept. 26, on the upper level of the McMinn County High School gymnasium. Practices will be held daily from 4-5:30 p.m.

Students must turn in a completed physical form signed by a doctor to the coach in order to be able to practice.

No experience is required to join the middle school wrestling program. Wrestlers should bring a T-shirt and P.E. shorts to practice in.

The program's first match will be on Tuesday, Nov. 1, and the last one is scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 10, which is the league championship. As a home site has not yet been settled on, all the matches will be on the road. At this point, though the schedule may not yet be finalized, McMinn's matches will be held at Cleveland Middle, Lake Forest Middle, Chattanooga Christian and Ocoee Middle.

McMinn is part of the Tennessee Valley Wrestling Conference (TVWC). Member schools besides McMinn are Baylor, Boyd-Buchanan, Chattanooga Christian, Cleveland, Dalton, Ga, Lake Forrest (Bradley), McCallie, Ocoee (Walker Valley), Rhea County and Whitwell.

The weight classes are 72, 78, 86, 94, 100, 108, 115, 123, 130, 140, 150, 165, 185, 215 and 265 pounds. The lower weight classes are primarily for 6th graders.

The effects of having the middle school program won't be felt overnight, but Stoika, who has already talked to some of the county elementary schools about the program, believes the middle school program can be competitive immediately.

"We have some talented wrestlers in the area and I think we can compete this year," Stoika said. "I don't know how many matches we will win, but I think we can be competitive. Now, how long before you see the effect in high school? Probably when these kids are juniors and seniors, and maybe sooner."

Stoika said he appreciates the efforts of those who made the middle school program a reality, specifically pointing out McMinn County Director of Schools Mickey Blevins and McMinn County School Board member Donna Cagle.

"I'm thankful that were are able to get a middle school program in place and thankful to those who made it possible," Stoika said. 

Garrett, Hardin Valley Academy is a public school in Knoxville, it is part of the Knox county school system.

Thanks for the heads up... I know a few of the "Academy"s are like that but it is hard to know which ones and I definitely am not as familiar with some of the Knoxville area schools.

Edited by ghouse

Sending the Cheatham County teams through Nashville to compete with Chattanooga? I think that's unlikely. Geographically, Eagleville would be the first team to go that way, but that would be a seriously stacked region. My first thought would be to move the two Williamson County teams. That said, if you were to combine the dual regions, I think 5 goes with 7 and 6 with 8, adjusting the Memphis teams appropriately.