TSSAA reclassification

BruinBabe

It is sad that Baylor and Signal Mountain are the only Chatty volleyball being talked about. There was a day that GPS, East Ridge, Red Bank and Notre Dame were always in the mix. What happened, coaches retired, or were forced out.

This won't be popular but I will say it. Club volleyball has had a negative impact on some programs. Parents pay for club, club tells paying parents that their high school coaches are awful, parents get high school coach replaced with a club coach. How many times has this happened in the last 5 years, 20, more?

Club is a business, there are some great club coaches, but there are some great high school coaches. Coach Brock, Coach Neely, were both better than ANY club coach we have ever had.

Now, club has made some average high school coaches look great. Signal Mountain, Baylor, Farragut totally club driven, even on here, some posters, like SJ are really into the club scene. SJ can you even name five high schools that you think are well coached?

It is sad that Baylor and Signal Mountain are the only Chatty volleyball being talked about. There was a day that GPS, East Ridge, Red Bank and Notre Dame were always in the mix. What happened, coaches retired, or were forced out.

This won't be popular but I will say it. Club volleyball has had a negative impact on some programs. Parents pay for club, club tells paying parents that their high school coaches are awful, parents get high school coach replaced with a club coach. How many times has this happened in the last 5 years, 20, more?

Club is a business, there are some great club coaches, but there are some great high school coaches. Coach Brock, Coach Neely, were both better than ANY club coach we have ever had.

Now, club has made some average high school coaches look great. Signal Mountain, Baylor, Farragut totally club driven, even on here, some posters, like SJ are really into the club scene. SJ can you even name five high schools that you think are well coached?

Interesting point ER about parents and coaches. I have seen a lot of good HS coaches run off or leave of their own accord bc of parental pressures. I will say that I can think of more than five really well coached high school teams; split evenly btw having a club coach and non club coach leading the program. But honestly that's pretty standard for all the sports I've been involved in as a parent. There seems to be a lag in good coaches across the board as the numbers of females participating has exploded. I think every person (man or woman) who wishes to coach females should be required to read an article written by the UNC soccer coach, Anson Dorrance,  called "Coaching Women: Going against the instincts of my gender."

Edited by SummaryJudgment

• 1 month later...

Great seeing my old Anderson County friends this week! Makes me miss what was home for 12 years! The new facilities look great, a lot changes in 10 years! I bet the AC coaches are pumped about being back in AA and havin 4 six foot and growing incoming freshmen!

You were in town and didn't let us know! Shame! I hope your family is doing well, I saw on Facebook you have another daughter getting married. Just wait until grandchildren start coming!

My granddaughter plays at NMS and are the defending middle school state champs. Those four six foot upcoming freshman are just the start. When the AC coaches formed a closed club three years ago for the 12 and unders, 13s and 14s and got Harshbarger out of retirement to coach middle school and the ex AC college players, many who are mom's themselves to coach, interest in the community has exploded! Our 14s were runner up at the Atlanta qualifier and will be freshman this year and they are TALL!

You were in town and didn't let us know! Shame! I hope your family is doing well, I saw on Facebook you have another daughter getting married. Just wait until grandchildren start coming!

My granddaughter plays at NMS and are the defending middle school state champs. Those four six foot upcoming freshman are just the start. When the AC coaches formed a closed club three years ago for the 12 and unders, 13s and 14s and got Harshbarger out of retirement to coach middle school and the ex AC college players, many who are mom's themselves to coach, interest in the community has exploded! Our 14s were runner up at the Atlanta qualifier and will be freshman this year and they are TALL!

It's a shame Brentwood didn't know there was a middle school state championship tournament.  Their middle school when 27-0 (54-0 in sets) this past season in arguable the toughest district in Tennessee.  Sounds like it would have been a good match.  

I think in middle school there are three separate sections, called sectionals, which act as the state tournament, Is Brentwood in the TMSAA? I know Norris went to a tournament where they played team from Page, Ravenwood, Siegel, Franklin that was near Brentwood, and didn't lose any matches but I don't know enough to know if they played Brentwood or not, I only watch my granddaughters games that are here in East Tennessee. I know Norris didn't lose any matches either so they probably didn't play. How big is Brentwood middle? We have about 100 girls in the 7th and 8th grade. I was not trying to attack Brentwood, they are a wealthy and large school with a great volleyball tradition. Our school is a Title 1 school, and but for the closed club that AC coaches started they wouldn't have had the financial opportunity to play. I hope you didn't take a grandmother bragging about her team as a slam on Brentwood?

I think in middle school there are three separate sections, called sectionals, which act as the state tournament, Is Brentwood in the TMSAA? I know Norris went to a tournament where they played team from Page, Ravenwood, Siegel, Franklin that was near Brentwood, and didn't lose any matches but I don't know enough to know if they played Brentwood or not, I only watch my granddaughters games that are here in East Tennessee. I know Norris didn't lose any matches either so they probably didn't play. How big is Brentwood middle? We have about 100 girls in the 7th and 8th grade. I was not trying to attack Brentwood, they are a wealthy and large school with a great volleyball tradition. Our school is a Title 1 school, and but for the closed club that AC coaches started they wouldn't have had the financial opportunity to play. I hope you didn't take a grandmother bragging about her team as a slam on Brentwood?

No slam taken.  we are all proud of our girls.

AAU in Orlando.......is anyone on this board taking their daughter(s) down?

KVM sorry I missed you, we are coming back thru TN during volleyball season and hope to see the new floor! I was stunned at the size and numbers of the incoming 9th graders. I know you have been around since the early 90s, but I think AC getting into club, and having Harshbarger take over the middle school programs and going back to AA is a smart move. The idea of havin two 12 and under teams for the 3-5th graders, a 6-7, grade team and an 8 grade team with Harsh running the middle schools was brilliant. These incoming freshman have had three years of club, and real coaching at the middle school. My daughter played club for the Hames when they worked for Carmen, and we were the only family that could play because of cost and travel time. The club AC started was smart because of the 10 total coaches, all played college, all coached club, 4 coached college and 5 of the other 6 coached high school. They are all AC alumni and dedicated to helping the high school. AC will never be a Brentwood, too small, too rural, to poor, but I am excited to see how the club experiment plays out the next four years.