WBHS Schedule 2017

etcoach

Gotta love how all the experts are weighing in on WB's new schedule and WB football in general. First of all, that schedule is nothing to smirk at. The region is tough and the only two gimmes I see are Lenoir City and Stone Memorial. Anderson Co is due to have another good team and Jeff Co is always a challenge for us. We may have 2 gimmes but Alcoa and Oak Ridge have a schedule full of em. :popcorneater: Oh, and WB will win more than 2 games in 2017. Book it!

Stone Memorial is hardly a gimme. They went 10-1 last year. So, to get to 2-8 you better beat Heritage.

There is more than meets the eye with WB's 2-8 regular season record. The 2016 Govs had a chance to beat or tie Bearden, Jefferson County, and Hardin Valley late in those games. With a few lucky bounces and not dropping an egg against Heritage, the 2016 Govs could have easily been 5-5 or 6-4 and maybe qualified for a home playoff game. That is a big improvement when you consider that the 2015 Govs weren even remotely competitive in region games. The Govs made big strides in 2016 even though it did not show in the win column. Oh wait, it actually did! The Govs went on the road and beat DB who went on the road and upset Smyrna in the playoffs and gave Maryville a lot of grief in the first half. But I guess none of that means anything, right? :huh: The Govs became competitive again this year and next year they will take the next step and win more games. Edited by SovietAlnwick

There is more than meets the eye with WB's 2-8 regular season record. The 2016 Govs had a chance to beat or tie Bearden, Jefferson County, and Hardin Valley late in those games. With a few lucky bounces and not dropping an egg against Heritage, the 2016 Govs could have easily been 5-5 or 6-4 and maybe qualified for a home playoff game. That is a big improvement when you consider that the 2015 Govs weren even remotely competitive in region games. The Govs made big strides in 2016 even though it did not show in the win column. Oh wait, it actually did! The Govs went on the road and beat DB who went on the road and upset Smyrna on the road in the playoffs and gave Maryville a lot of grief in the first half. But I guess none of that means anything, right? :huh: The Govs became competitive again this year and next year they will take the next step and win more games.

If you would have kept going with those comparisons eventually the Govs would have beat the sox off of Bama.

If you would have kept going with those comparisons eventually the Govs would have beat the sox off of Bama.

Not by any stretch of the imagination, but it's also foolish to pretend that the Govs did not take steps forward this year. I saw a WB team go on the road and beat DB and give a Hardin Valley team that went to the quarterfinals fits. You'll see more of that going forward.

Gotta love how all the experts are weighing in on WB's new schedule and WB football in general. First of all, that schedule is nothing to smirk at. The region is tough and the only two gimmes I see are Lenoir City and Stone Memorial. Anderson Co is due to have another good team and Jeff Co is always a challenge for us. We may have 2 gimmes but Alcoa and Oak Ridge have a schedule full of em. :popcorneater: Oh, and WB will win more than 2 games in 2017. Book it!

If you're that concerned with the weakness of Alcoa's schedule, WB (6A) could have kept them on their schedule instead of declining to play them.  WB (1800 students) plays 4 teams that were 5A and 2 teams that were 4A in 2016. How many games do Alcoa or OR have on their schedule with teams that are in a lower classification?

If you're that concerned with the weakness of Alcoa's schedule, WB (6A) could have kept them on their schedule instead of declining to play them. WB (1800 students) plays 4 teams that were 5A and 2 teams that were 4A in 2016. How many games do Alcoa or OR have on their schedule with teams that are in a lower classification?

I'm not concerned with their schedules. They are the ones weighing in on our schedule. I'm just returning the favor.

Next year will be very interesting for LA. 3rd year of rebuilding a program, significant schedule changes, and the last of a real good group of players leaving. Will the obvious improvements be seen?

Yes. A lot of young players started or got significant playing time and our most reliable skill guys return. The big question will be at QB, but Blair looks like he can be good and he got some experience here and there on friday nights. Throw in a good class coming from the middle school and things can be very interesting.