WBHS Schedule 2017

etcoach

Gotta love how all the experts are weighing in on WB's new schedule and WB football in general. First of all, that schedule is nothing to smirk at. The region is tough and the only two gimmes I see are Lenoir City and Stone Memorial. Anderson Co is due to have another good team and Jeff Co is always a challenge for us. We may have 2 gimmes but Alcoa and Oak Ridge have a schedule full of em. :popcorneater: Oh, and WB will win more than 2 games in 2017. Book it!

Yeah, Baby Blount was one of them.......

Copeland did not play.  That, of course, helped WB out.  He makes a big difference.  WB was down in that game 37-30 at half but opened the 2nd half on a 34-5 run.  And yes, Mr. Yoakum has been playing very well.  The Powell game was a game in which everyone was on fire.  The Govs shot 16-24 from 3 and had 6 players in double figures.  Powell also was on fire from beyond the arc.  

As far as not scheduling Alcoa in football, WBHS is trying to win games. If WB can go 5-5 it looks better than 2-8. They have no chance of winning that matchup at this time, and, quite honestly, the game isn't good for Alcoa either (except for no travel.)  Alcoa fans I am sure would rather watch them play a team like Fulton or Greenville where the outcome is not already decided.

Let's talk about student enrollment for a while.  Totally overrated.  We have 1800 students.  Great.  That's why we have a great variety of academic options as well as the best CTE program in the state.  But, as you can tell over a period of 37 years, it has nothing to do with football success.  Out of those 1800, lets say 900 are males.  We have about 30-40 legitimate male athletes walking around, and most of them play 2 or 3 sports.  Most of our male student population is at the CTE building learning how to weld, fix cars, cook, build houses, landscape, etc........ you know....the things that I can't do and have to pay people big money to do.  So I am not a fan of classifying solely based on enrollment.  Now I do think it matters when you are dealing with small schools (less than 500).  I would be more in favor of having classifications based on a combination of 3 things in this order:

1)  Success over the last 4 years

2)  Geography

3)  Enrollment

Would high school football not be more entertaining in this area if all of the good teams were in the same region.  Could you imagine a league with Maryville, Alcoa, Greenville, Catholic, Fulton....etc

Friday nights would no longer be predictable like they are now.  We all know every Friday night that Maryville is going to be ahead 42-0 or 49-0 and then they let the other team score at the end.  It's the same story every week (except when they play Alcoa, Fulton, and the last two playoff games.)  We all know Alcoa is going to have a good game with Maryville and then they are going to crush every other team on their schedule until late in the playoffs.

On the flip side, teams like WBHS need a break from the Maryvilles, Alcoas, DBs, Science Hills, Hardin Valleys, Oaklands....of the world.  Heritage actually got to enjoy that their last two years.  They played in a very competitive Region where the outcome was always unknown. Now next year they are back in the grind with the big boys and its not going to be fun.

Anyway....my point is that enrollment should not the only deciding factor when determining Regions.  The TSSAA keeps doing the same thing over and over, and that why you keep getting the same teams every year in the championship games.  Heck I am sure DB would love to once not have to beat a Maryville to make it to the semifinal game.  

Many of the Maryville faithful would say...."get better so you can compete."  OK.  Great advice.  But unless Maryville drops off, other teams "getting better" just means the score will be 35-7 instead of 42-7 or 49-7.  And, I don't think that is happening anytime soon.

I have seen both Maryville and Oakland play.  Now this will be a good game.  Oakland has more athletes, but Maryville is Maryville.  And that is why they will win.  I predict a low scoring 21-20 final. 

SC, tell me your thoughts on this...

Alnwick could drop down in classification if they just counted the enrollment in the main building and made all freshmen ineligible for varsity sports...which includes tennis, golf and all the other minor sports where age is not a big factor.

This is permissible under TSSAA rules provided that 9th grade is on a different campus (which they are) and there is a separate administrator on that campus (don't know about that)

Alnwick enrollment would drop by 1/4 and probably put them in 4A or 5A.

REACT TO ME!

I don't have a whole lot that I'll say about the matter, but I can wholeheartedly say that Shad is NOT one of the best coaches in the state. He's probably the 5th best coach in Blount County. He only won when he had Sonny Gray and Rod Wilks (two of the all-time greats from Rutherford County), and squandered Blackman's best team ever. Maryville beat Blackman fair and square in 2013, but Shad sure did the Rebels a lot of favors with his coaching performance that game. So no, I don't think you can say he's one of the best coaches in the state

SC, tell me your thoughts on this...

Alnwick could drop down in classification if they just counted the enrollment in the main building and made all freshmen ineligible for varsity sports...which includes tennis, golf and all the other minor sports where age is not a big factor.

This is permissible under TSSAA rules provided that 9th grade is on a different campus (which they are) and there is a separate administrator on that campus (don't know about that)

Alnwick enrollment would drop by 1/4 and probably put them in 4A or 5A.

REACT TO ME!

I have asked this question many times to the powers that be.  I have been told that even if WB decided to not have the Freshmen counted toward enrollment, that TSSAA would still have to come up with a number to pro-rate into the enrollment number for classification purposes.  What they use to come up with that number is to take classes 10-12 and come up with an average and then they apply that number to enrollment for the freshmen group for classification purposes.  So, the difference in the actual number of freshmen and the pro-rated number the TSSAA would use was still not enough to drop down in classification.  This is what I was told two years ago.

I have asked this question many times to the powers that be.  I have been told that even if WB decided to not have the Freshmen counted toward enrollment, that TSSAA would still have to come up with a number to pro-rate into the enrollment number for classification purposes.  What they use to come up with that number is to take classes 10-12 and come up with an average and then they apply that number to enrollment for the freshmen group for classification purposes.  So, the difference in the actual number of freshmen and the pro-rated number the TSSAA would use was still not enough to drop down in classification.  This is what I was told two years ago.

This is why there should be some common sense applied when doing this kind of breakdown.  When your bringing kids to school that live 15-20 miles away there should be some formula like .08 x 1800=1440 or even less.  if you stick WB and Heritage in with these other schools everything just washes away again and before to long the only win between those two schools would be when they play each other. I predict that we keep traveling the same path as we are now and The T$$AA will destroy high school football in the State of Tennessee over greed and stupidity. 

Wb needs to quit (for now) using murvil and alcoa as the measuring sticks. few teams are going to be happy with how they measure up against those two. For this new region, use mcminn, ooltewah, or somebody else. This idea of trying to go from 0 to 200 is painful to watch and expensive to buy tires for. The BCBOE went to bat for the current coach and was well aware of his qualifications (so we have been told). Hopefully, the coach stays and the admin is willing to do a little over time to provide some help. As for running the 20-30 kids off at the end of this season, IMO that should have happened in year one. But you got to start somewhere I guess. The easy way is not always the best way.

Jake,

Maryville could have done it when they moved the 9th grade to MJHS....the administration need to take another look.

I'm gonna call bunk on whatever they fed you.

You may be right, but I ask the question to the AD and he said he had already talked to the TSSAA about that very thing and that is what was told to him by the TSSAA, and they gave him a couple of schools in the state that had went through the same thing, but I cant remember the name of the schools....