2018 Rankings

GCPioneer

Ok... so here's the reality of things...

No high school player in the Flight program paid a dime to play on the team they played on last year. It is an unpaid privieledge to play in the Flight program, that's a fact.

No player paid a dime to be on a list, that's fact.

Tennessee Flight won three Nike National Championships before this service originated (might I add that the Flight is the only program in the country with multiple EYBL championships). To say that this list is a promotion of purely Flight kids is absolutely false. Winning championships and consistently getting kids to the highest level possible is enough promotion of the program...

There are a lot of Flight kids, but also kids from multiple other programs on this list as well.

So far, there's been a lot of complaining, but yet no one has mentioned names of other players that have been left off. Kaia Upton is the only name mentioned so far that has a legitimate complaint.

GCPioneer, you are correct!  The most a parent would have to be to pay for flight is $100 and that's to help cover the cost of insurance!  Rankings are ALWAYS subjective, but if a person is going to make statements about the list being "bogus" then simply give a name/stats/facts of who should be replaced.  I'm sure there are some arguments to made. 

People can say what they want, but Flight is a great program!  Thing is, it's a privilege to play for flight! They invite the kid to join the program!  There's no "tryout"!  No, I don't currently have a daughter that plays for Flight!  I actually coach for another organization, but have to give props where props are due.

They're always available for the girls to come in and do skill work.  The girls that want to get better, always shows up to put in the work!  Again, on rankings there's always some disagreements, but to make statements like "run by Insell" makes no sense.  What does that have to do with college coaches making the girls scholarship offers?  The college coaches have to win to keep their jobs, they want players!  They don't care what summer program they play with, but apparently they see something with the Flight program.  Just my opinion.

Edited by mboro

GCPioneer, you are correct!  The most a parent would have to be to pay for flight is $100 and that's to help cover the cost of insurance!  Rankings are ALWAYS subjective, but if a person is going to make statements about the list being "bogus" then simply give a name/stats/facts of who should be replaced.  I'm sure there are some arguments to made. 

People can say what they want, but Flight is a great program!  Thing is, it's a privilege to play for flight! They invite the kid to join the program!  There's no "tryout"!  No, I don't currently have a daughter that plays for Flight!  I actually coach for another organization, but have to give props where props are due.

They're always available for the girls to come in and do skill work.  The girls that want to get better, always shows up to put in the work!  Again, on rankings there's always some disagreements, but to make statements like "run by Insell" makes no sense.  What does that have to do with college coaches making the girls scholarship offers?  The college coaches have to win to keep their jobs, they want players!  They don't care what summer program they play with, but apparently they see something with the Flight program.  Just my opinion.

Unless it has changed within the last twelve months, there is still a tryout. I can get you the information on that fairly easily if you need it. 

Why does it make no sense to say "run by Insell" as you said? I never said that was necessarily a bad thing. What I said was that NEB, which is National Exposure Basketball, is ran by the Insells which is 100% affiliated with the Nike Flight organization. If you go to the National Exposure Basketball website and click on contact, it will give you the info for an Insell to contact. That is not saying anything bad about them at all, but just stating a fact that it is closely associated with Nike Flight organization. 

I said nothing negative about the Flight program either. I just stated that players hadn't sold out to Flight yet, so they were not included on this list. There are some players that stick with the teams they have played on for years, and are plenty good enough to play with the Flight teams, but they have stayed loyal to who they started with. Maybe that is bad for them, maybe it is good. I am not to judge that. 

Some kids left off the list for sure. 

Hannah Garrett who already has an offer from Tennessee Tech. 

Courtney Pritchett who in two state tournament appearances as a freshman and sophomore is averaging 20 points and 11 rebounds per game. Her average for her career is double digits in both rebounds and points and will be so again this year. Same with Hannah Garrett's. That being said, the list includes mostly people tied with the NEB network, which is Flight. Can't fault them for marketing the kids that they have in their own program. 

Hannah Garrett, Courtney Pritchett, Tasia Jones (who is out with a knee injury), and Deja Graves are all 2018's.... the 2018 class is loaded statewide. Those mentioned are good players, but I would imagine the list has to stop at some point. 

Other names not on the list who are worthy of mention are Savanna Owens from Briarcrest Christian and Johne Stewart from Memphis Central...Those two both hold Division 1 offers as well. 

Edited by GCPioneer

Unless it has changed within the last twelve months, there is still a tryout. I can get you the information on that fairly easily if you need it. 

Why does it make no sense to say "run by Insell" as you said? I never said that was necessarily a bad thing. What I said was that NEB, which is National Exposure Basketball, is ran by the Insells which is 100% affiliated with the Nike Flight organization. If you go to the National Exposure Basketball website and click on contact, it will give you the info for an Insell to contact. That is not saying anything bad about them at all, but just stating a fact that it is closely associated with Nike Flight organization. 

I said nothing negative about the Flight program either. I just stated that players hadn't sold out to Flight yet, so they were not included on this list. There are some players that stick with the teams they have played on for years, and are plenty good enough to play with the Flight teams, but they have stayed loyal to who they started with. Maybe that is bad for them, maybe it is good. I am not to judge that. 

Some kids left off the list for sure. 

Hannah Garrett who already has an offer from Tennessee Tech. 

Courtney Pritchett who in two state tournament appearances as a freshman and sophomore is averaging 20 points and 11 rebounds per game. Her average for her career is double digits in both rebounds and points and will be so again this year. Same with Hannah Garrett's. That being said, the list includes mostly people tied with the NEB network, which is Flight. Can't fault them for marketing the kids that they have in their own program. 

I was responding to the entire thread, no just to you.  My bad if it came across that way.  I'm just saying people for years have said flight this, flight that, Insell this, Insell that, but the program is what it is.  I'm not saying there aren't any other good programs out there by no means. Just as you said "sold out" what does that mean?  It's a program that gets some of the best players and most get scholarships.  Most of the rankings come from what the players do in the summer.  That's what I try explaining to parents, scholarships arent awarded(for the most part) during the school season, they are awarded based on the kids play during the summer against some of the best players in the country.

What I mean by "sold out" is the vast majority of these players do not play with the Flight program until 9th, 10th, 11th grade. When they decide to do that, often times they leave a program they have been with since 3rd or 4th grade and often times that leaves that program without their best player or players. Not that anyone can fault them for leaving if they think that is the best opportunity for them to play college basketball, but that is how most programs statewide would feel about it.

What I mean by "sold out" is the vast majority of these players do not play with the Flight program until 9th, 10th, 11th grade. When they decide to do that, often times they leave a program they have been with since 3rd or 4th grade and often times that leaves that program without their best player or players. Not that anyone can fault them for leaving if they think that is the best opportunity for them to play college basketball, but that is how most programs statewide would feel about it.

Gotcha! Good dialogue!

So is it "selling out"?? Is it not the total purpose of players to gain exposure, improve themselves against competition both in practice and games and sign college scholarships? It's not about the program's whether it be Flight or a small more localized team. It's about the kids, and if they or their family feel the best to play with a bigger, more established and frankly one of the best programs (Flight or otherwise) I think it's very wrong to categorize that as "selling out". I feel the same about a player/family choosing to transfer or select the high school/coach they want to play for. These "3rd/4th grade" teams/programs the players start with don't hold ownership over these players for the rest of their playing careers just because of simply geography or proximity. Would anyone fault a senior in high school who had been recruited by smaller schools they're whole HS career to turn down a D1 offer at the last minute in fear of "selling out"?

So is it "selling out"?? Is it not the total purpose of players to gain exposure, improve themselves against competition both in practice and games and sign college scholarships? It's not about the program's whether it be Flight or a small more localized team. It's about the kids, and if they or their family feel the best to play with a bigger, more established and frankly one of the best programs (Flight or otherwise) I think it's very wrong to categorize that as "selling out". I feel the same about a player/family choosing to transfer or select the high school/coach they want to play for. These "3rd/4th grade" teams/programs the players start with don't hold ownership over these players for the rest of their playing careers just because of simply geography or proximity. Would anyone fault a senior in high school who had been recruited by smaller schools they're whole HS career to turn down a D1 offer at the last minute in fear of "selling out"?

Sir, reread my post. I clearly said "no one can fault them for leaving if they think that is their best opportunity to play college basketball, BUT that is how most programs statewide would feel about it." 

I did not say they were wrong or right by doing that. I am telling you that's how most feel. People have to do what they think is best for their kid and their family, which I think...is what my post said?

Sir, reread my post. I clearly said "no one can fault them for leaving if they think that is their best opportunity to play college basketball, BUT that is how most programs statewide would feel about it."

I did not say they were wrong or right by doing that. I am telling you that's how most feel. People have to do what they think is best for their kid and their family, which I think...is what my post said?

You say "no one can fault them" yet you are the one that first attached the negative term "selling out" in this thread to players that make that decision. By definition of the term you are, in essence, faulting them. IMO

You say "no one can fault them" yet you are the one that first attached the negative term "selling out" in this thread to players that make that decision. By definition of the term you are, in essence, faulting them. IMO

I attached the term that the vast majority of travel programs associate with them. I clearly said that no one can fault them, but it happens. Believe what you want, but across the state, most programs will have a negative connotation to the way they conduct "business." That is not saying that it is bad for the kids they have, but talk to others throughout the AAU/Exposure circuit and see if you don't hear the same sentiment that I am saying. 

I am not saying at all that is what I believe, BUT that is what the majority would say. 

What are you hoping to accomplish by playing with these big AAU programs? Exposure, college offers or just notoriety for the parents? Cmon, we all know that Uconn, UT, SC, or any other major college is not gonna be calling 99.9% of these players. Quit wasting your money, get in a gym and practice, practice, practice. Thats how you get better, not by traveling 200 miles every weekend to play some so called exposure tournament.

What are you hoping to accomplish by playing with these big AAU programs? Exposure, college offers or just notoriety for the parents? Cmon, we all know that Uconn, UT, SC, or any other major college is not gonna be calling 99.9% of these players. Quit wasting your money, get in a gym and practice, practice, practice. Thats how you get better, not by traveling 200 miles every weekend to play some so called exposure tournament.

Playing for one of the bigger AAU programs will make a difference in exposure and offers. For the top players, it won't make a difference but I've seen lots of kids get offers that would have not happened if they had just relied on their high school program. I've had kids sign from smaller schools that would have never been seen if they hadn't played on one of the "big" AAU teams. A good program will also put emphasis on skill development as well as games. My problem is these programs that are doing it to make money. It should always be about the kids. I coached with one of these top programs and was happy to get my hotel and meals covered along with a warmup and coaching shirts. Some of these coaches now do pretty well from a financial standpoint.