2018 Rankings

GCPioneer

Playing for one of the bigger AAU programs will make a difference in exposure and offers. For the top players, it won't make a difference but I've seen lots of kids get offers that would have not happened if they had just relied on their high school program. I've had kids sign from smaller schools that would have never been seen if they hadn't played on one of the "big" AAU teams. A good program will also put emphasis on skill development as well as games. My problem is these programs that are doing it to make money. It should always be about the kids. I coached with one of these top programs and was happy to get my hotel and meals covered along with a warmup and coaching shirts. Some of these coaches now do pretty well from a financial standpoint.

You're exactly right...

What are you hoping to accomplish by playing with these big AAU programs? Exposure, college offers or just notoriety for the parents? Cmon, we all know that Uconn, UT, SC, or any other major college is not gonna be calling 99.9% of these players. Quit wasting your money, get in a gym and practice, practice, practice. Thats how you get better, not by traveling 200 miles every weekend to play some so called exposure tournament.

College coaches do not recruit at high school basketball games!  They recruit on the summer circuit!  I coach, but not for a "large" program, but the girls we have that are given looks are solely because of being seen a an exposure tournament, not a high school regular season game.  NCAA have rules/regulations/dates/etc that they can view players. It only makes sense to go to a location that has 2k-3k kids playing vs a high school regular season game that has 20 players.  You are correct on getting in the gym to get better, but you have to put those skills on display against the best across the country, not just in your local county.

College coaches do not recruit at high school basketball games!  They recruit on the summer circuit!  I coach, but not for a "large" program, but the girls we have that are given looks are solely because of being seen a an exposure tournament, not a high school regular season game.  NCAA have rules/regulations/dates/etc that they can view players. It only makes sense to go to a location that has 2k-3k kids playing vs a high school regular season game that has 20 players.  You are correct on getting in the gym to get better, but you have to put those skills on display against the best across the country, not just in your local county.

For what reason? A scholarship? CMON!!! You need to get out more. Any average basketball player can get a scholarship to play basketball without going to showcases or traveling 200 miles to do it. And yes it happens everday. If you go to these money pits (showcases) to be seen by high level D1 coaches you are crazy if you think they are there to watch average players. Most kids that want to play can play at the college level somewhere. Save your money for tuition dont give it to these money hungry tourny directors. ND, SC, UT, UCONN aint coming to watch your kid play trust me. 99.9% are just average players but thats ok. Go play at your local college and get a degree. That my friend IS the single most important thing to worry about.

For what reason? A scholarship? CMON!!! You need to get out more. Any average basketball player can get a scholarship to play basketball without going to showcases or traveling 200 miles to do it. And yes it happens everday. If you go to these money pits (showcases) to be seen by high level D1 coaches you are crazy if you think they are there to watch average players. Most kids that want to play can play at the college level somewhere. Save your money for tuition dont give it to these money hungry tourny directors. ND, SC, UT, UCONN aint coming to watch your kid play trust me. 99.9% are just average players but thats ok. Go play at your local college and get a degree. That my friend IS the single most important thing to worry about.

You're funny! I talk to college coaches a lot!!!  The only time a college coach will be at a high school game is to see a player that they're about to offer or already offered!  They are not going to high school games to actually scout talent!! Think about it, their season is going on at the same time! I've been doing this for 6 yrs, trust me they're going to the exposure events!  Prime example the battle of the boro, there were over 700 coaches there!  You keep bringing up ND,SC, UT and UCONN, yes they're there too, but you also have other D1 schools represented.  If you have a daughter or a team, just let them play in their high school games and no summer circuit and we'll see where they end up!  Not to say they cant go to a local school, but they won't be seen by many!  That's for sure! It's crazy for me to even argue with you about that!  Everybody knows college coaches go to summer exposure events to recruit!

Edited by mboro

" Most kids that want to play can play at the college level somewhere."

So, you're saying college coaches give out scholarships for kids that just want to play college basketball?

"Save your money for tuition dont give it to these money hungry tourny directors."

...but then you say save your money for college tuition instead of going to money hungry tournaments.... You sound like one confused parent....

If you're fine on being set with mediocrity, then you focus on YOUR kid going to the local school (and in some cases, the local school is a better opportunity than going off somewhere, so there's nothing wrong with staying local sometimes)... people who chose to go to events are choosing to get their kid some exposure in hopes of gaining a variety of college scholarship opportunities. It is the same for all sports... there are combines for football, baseball and softball camps, soccer camps, cheerleading caps, and ultimately there are basketball camps.... You seem like you know what's going on, but trust me, I can tell you're lost in the situation just by the way you talk.

Edited by GCPioneer

So, you're saying college coaches give out scholarships for kids that just want to play college basketball?

"Save your money for tuition dont give it to these money hungry tourny directors."

...but then you say save your money for college tuition instead of going to money hungry tournaments.... You sound like one confused parent....

If you're fine on being set with mediocrity, then you focus on YOUR kid going to the local school (and in some cases, the local school is a better opportunity than going off somewhere, so there's nothing wrong with staying local sometimes)... people who chose to go to events are choosing to get their kid some exposure in hopes of gaining a variety of college scholarship opportunities. It is the same for all sports... there are combines for football, baseball and softball camps, soccer camps, cheerleading caps, and ultimately there are basketball camps.... You seem like you know what's going on, but trust me, I can tell you're lost in the situation just by the way you talk.

He must be thinking of intramurals......

Most players that want to play can play at the college level somewhere. Hahahaha

An average player basketball player can get a scholarship without exposure tourneys or traveling. Hahahaha again!

I've coached players that have played everywhere from the Lady Vols (and numerous SEC, ACC programs) to DII, DIII as well as other levels along with a son that was All-State in two sports and I never realized it could have been so easy.

Overall less than 4% of high school players play at the DI, DII and DIII level. That obviously doesn't include JC or NAIA programs.

He's just won the CLUELESS Award!

Edited by IrishBBall

"f you're fine on being set with mediocrity, then you focus on YOUR kid going to the local school ."

That's a pretty crappy comment.

He must be thinking of intramurals......

Most players that want to play can play at the college level somewhere. Hahahaha

An average player basketball player can get a scholarship without exposure tourneys or traveling. Hahahaha again!

I've coached players that have played everywhere from the Lady Vols (and numerous SEC, ACC programs) to DII, DIII as well as other levels along with a son that was All-State in two sports and I never realized it could have been so easy.

Overall less than 4% of high school players play at the DI, DII and DIII level. That obviously doesn't include JC or NAIA programs.

He's just won the CLUELESS Award!

I am including NAIA and JC programs in my statement. And why not? That is a great oppurtunity for most if not all average players to continue their career. CLUELESS? Im sorry but if parents take their  average kids to these OVERPRICED showcases and tournaments to get exposure they are wasting their money. Again most major schools arent even gonna be there. So what are you trying to accomplish? Getting a scholarship? If you took every dollar you spend of travel basketball and put it in the bank you could fund your own scholarship. Trust me its more about the parents than it is the kids. Look who my kid plays for, look where im at this weekend and in 3 years they still sign with their local college. What have you accomplished? The exact same thing you would have accomplished if you would have kept your kid in the gym and practiced. There is nothing wrong with dreaming of playing for Uconn, UT, ND or any major college program but the reality is (that most parents dont want to admit this) it aint gonna happen. 

I am including NAIA and JC programs in my statement. And why not? That is a great oppurtunity for most if not all average players to continue their career. CLUELESS? Im sorry but if parents take their  average kids to these OVERPRICED showcases and tournaments to get exposure they are wasting their money. Again most major schools arent even gonna be there. So what are you trying to accomplish? Getting a scholarship? If you took every dollar you spend of travel basketball and put it in the bank you could fund your own scholarship. Trust me its more about the parents than it is the kids. Look who my kid plays for, look where im at this weekend and in 3 years they still sign with their local college. What have you accomplished? The exact same thing you would have accomplished if you would have kept your kid in the gym and practiced. There is nothing wrong with dreaming of playing for Uconn, UT, ND or any major college program but the reality is (that most parents dont want to admit this) it aint gonna happen. 

You are WAYYYYYYYY wrong about most colleges not being at the exposure tournaments. It has gotten this thread way of topic, but the reality is these exposure tournaments are about the only place players are being recruited now. EVERY school in the country is at those tournaments. If you don't believe me, I can send you pictures of their coaches if you would like...it is FACT. 

I agree that NAIA and JC programs are great for players. There aren't many NAIA or JCs that will take everybody. They want far better than "average". I agree with you about most of the exposure showcases. Get your kid on the right AAU team and if they play in the right tourneys, you'll get plenty of exposure. My son played in several tournaments that had 200+ coaches there. You get to the AAU Nationals, EYBL stuff, Peach Jam etc.and you'll been seen by schools of all levels. When I was coaching, I had coaches from UConn and UT talk to me about our players but they were elite players that had interest from everywhere. Even the local colleges want to see what you do against better competition and at position you will play in college. It's hard to judge how effective that girl that's playing post at 5"9" for her hs team will translate to a wing in college. Unless you travel by limo, don't know how you could fund your own scholarship with what you spend in travel ball.

You are WAYYYYYYYY wrong about most colleges not being at the exposure tournaments. It has gotten this thread way of topic, but the reality is these exposure tournaments are about the only place players are being recruited now. EVERY school in the country is at those tournaments. If you don't believe me, I can send you pictures of their coaches if you would like...it is FACT. 

Tournaments =YES. Showcases not so much.