2018 Rankings

GCPioneer

You are WAYYYYYYYY wrong about most colleges not being at the exposure tournaments. It has gotten this thread way of topic, but the reality is these exposure tournaments are about the only place players are being recruited now. EVERY school in the country is at those tournaments. If you don't believe me, I can send you pictures of their coaches if you would like...it is FACT. 

The only fact is that if your there you are out for instance ....750.00 for the team, 10 bucks a head for each parent to get in, 2 or 3 nights in a hotel, and feeding you and your family for that amount of days. So, having said that its easily a 3-400 a weekend per player for a  coach to walk by your team to watch the gold division play. Your crazy if you think coaches only recruit at showcases. Just crazy!!!  You must be a tourney director....SMH....

I agree that NAIA and JC programs are great for players. There aren't many NAIA or JCs that will take everybody. They want far better than "average". I agree with you about most of the exposure showcases. Get your kid on the right AAU team and if they play in the right tourneys, you'll get plenty of exposure. My son played in several tournaments that had 200+ coaches there. You get to the AAU Nationals, EYBL stuff, Peach Jam etc.and you'll been seen by schools of all levels. When I was coaching, I had coaches from UConn and UT talk to me about our players but they were elite players that had interest from everywhere. Even the local colleges want to see what you do against better competition and at position you will play in college. It's hard to judge how effective that girl that's playing post at 5"9" for her hs team will translate to a wing in college. Unless you travel by limo, don't know how you could fund your own scholarship with what you spend in travel ball.

1. Showcase--- 6-700.00

2. Hotel (2-3 nights)---- 2-300.00

3. Gate ---- 10 a head each day

4. Food ---- 3 meals for 2-3 days ??????

5. Gas--- There and back ??????

You do the math. Minus the showcase and hotels it is still a couple hundred a weekend. Im not an accountant but you do this for about 10-12 years and see what you come up with. Not counting now personell trainers and the sky is the limit. Easily 20K over an average career. Honestly, just get in the gym and practice and you will come out ahead (again were talking about average players) not ELITE athletes. The top 4%.

The only fact is that if your there you are out for instance ....750.00 for the team, 10 bucks a head for each parent to get in, 2 or 3 nights in a hotel, and feeding you and your family for that amount of days. So, having said that its easily a 3-400 a weekend per player for a coach to walk by your team to watch the gold division play. Your crazy if you think coaches only recruit at showcases. Just crazy!!! You must be a tourney director....SMH....

Can't explain it to someone who refuses to believe facts. Coaches don't "walk by" if your team is marketed correctly. I'm not a tourney director but I can tell you that all 700 college coaches at battle of boro aren't after only the "elite 4%" if you think they are, you are bad wrong. College coaches come to high school gyms now to finish the recruiting process and that's the only reason. But, you probably know more than every aau organization, and every college coach about how to get kids to the next level, and how to develop talent. Clearly.

College coaches rarely recruit the high school trails anymore. Colleges have recruiting budgets and are only allowed a certain number of visits. Coaches don't want to spend time and money driving or flying out to see 2 or 3 kids at a high school game when they can hit the summer circuit and see hundreds or thousands of kids (depending on the tournament size). If a coach shows up to a high school game, he already has all the information on a particular kid. He's not there "scouting" for talent, he already knows who he wants. You have D1,D1-AA,D2,D3,JUCO, and NAIA coaches attending events like the "Boro" because there's something for everyone at these exposure tournaments. This is how recruiting is done nowadays.

• 4 weeks later...

College coaches rarely recruit the high school trails anymore. Colleges have recruiting budgets and are only allowed a certain number of visits. Coaches don't want to spend time and money driving or flying out to see 2 or 3 kids at a high school game when they can hit the summer circuit and see hundreds or thousands of kids (depending on the tournament size). If a coach shows up to a high school game, he already has all the information on a particular kid. He's not there "scouting" for talent, he already knows who he wants. You have D1,D1-AA,D2,D3,JUCO, and NAIA coaches attending events like the "Boro" because there's something for everyone at these exposure tournaments. This is how recruiting is done nowadays.

Totally agree!  Not sure what MartianMan's beef is with exposure events and aau, but the FACTS are that that is where 99% of recruiting occurs!

Totally agree! Not sure what MartianMan's beef is with exposure events and aau, but the FACTS are that that is where 99% of recruiting occurs!

If 99â„… of recruiting is done there then let's just cancel basketball season and all play showcases lol. RIDICULOUS, again you must be a tournament director.

Totally agree! Not sure what MartianMan's beef is with exposure events and aau, but the FACTS are that that is where 99% of recruiting occurs!

I agree with the whole budget thing and getting to see multiple kids at one place. But, i think coaches still should come watch games. Lets be honest, Exposure and AAU, is basically open gym style ball, all offense. You dont see players complete game in AAU amd Exposure. Also, some kids may not be able to play AAU or Exposure for whatever reason, finances, transportation, family vacations etc. You make a good point but sometimes they may miss out on some players in doing that

Well... if you watch bad travel basketball, then it's all offense... whether that offense is good or bad offense is another discussion. I watched plenty of travel ball this summer, and I saw as much emphasis on defense as offense... but I also watched some good travel basketball...

Most players/college coaches would much rather play/recruit during the travel season... I've had multiple players/coaches tell me this. Is it the popular opinion from high school coaches? No... but that's to be expected.

I agree with the whole budget thing and getting to see multiple kids at one place. But, i think coaches still should come watch games. Lets be honest, Exposure and AAU, is basically open gym style ball, all offense. You dont see players complete game in AAU amd Exposure. Also, some kids may not be able to play AAU or Exposure for whatever reason, finances, transportation, family vacations etc. You make a good point but sometimes they may miss out on some players in doing that

It is not financially or logistically possible for college coaches to scout talent at high school games.  Remember that the HS season coincides with the college season and college coaches have responsibilities with their schools and teams. The total costs have been highlighted here, but there are thousands of kids that play travel ball and never pay anything.  There are sponsorships and ways to work at tournaments to pay for the season.  Exposure basketball, although making tournament directors tons of money, also has gotten thousands of kids to college that may not have had that opportunity were it not for basketball. 

It is not financially or logistically possible for college coaches to scout talent at high school games. Remember that the HS season coincides with the college season and college coaches have responsibilities with their schools and teams. The total costs have been highlighted here, but there are thousands of kids that play travel ball and never pay anything. There are sponsorships and ways to work at tournaments to pay for the season. Exposure basketball, although making tournament directors tons of money, also has gotten thousands of kids to college that may not have had that opportunity were it not for basketball.

All exposure tourneys do is make tourney directors rich. That term is thrown around very loosely. Who in their right might has 3,4,5,6,7,8th grade exposure tourneys. RIDICULOUS... I promise they're is never a college coach going to be watching a 5th grader. So please tell me it's all about the kids, SMH!!! Keep giving them your money and they will keep taking it. And by the way thousands of kids go play college ball everyday who has never played in one exposure tourney. So don't tell me that's what you have to do to get a scholarship. And AAU has gotten just as bad with parents paying huge amounts for their kid to play on a team just to watch them sit the bench but win more games. It's all about the money.

All exposure tourneys do is make tourney directors rich. That term is thrown around very loosely. Who in their right might has 3,4,5,6,7,8th grade exposure tourneys. RIDICULOUS... I promise they're is never a college coach going to be watching a 5th grader. So please tell me it's all about the kids, SMH!!! Keep giving them your money and they will keep taking it. And by the way thousands of kids go play college ball everyday who has never played in one exposure tourney. So don't tell me that's what you have to do to get a scholarship. And AAU has gotten just as bad with parents paying huge amounts for their kid to play on a team just to watch them sit the bench but win more games. It's all about the money.

3rd-7th grade "Exposure" tournaments are a joke.  Most teams this age play in AAU sanctioned tournaments which gives kids an opportunity to see that the world is bigger than whatever town or area that they live in.  I am not a tournament director and no doubt they are making big money, but there are tons of kids that benefit.  We will have to just agree to disagree here!

"Thousands of kids go play college ball everyday who has never played in one exposure tourney"

MartianMan, you are Wrong with this statement. Kids DO NOT get college scholarships without going and competing in exposure tourneys. Once a kid is entering high school, if they want to be seen by college coaches and potentially start being recruited, then they MUST go to exposure events. These events are held during specific NCAA viewing periods.

Is it possible to get a scholarship without going to an Exposure Event? Yes, maybe possible but, not likely. I doubt you can name a single current college player that didn't play in an exposure event while they were in high school. (Maybe some JUCO kid or D-3 level player?).

One problem that a lot of kids and their parents have with exposure events is that they travel, attend, pay money, play and don't end up getting a scholarship. Keep in mind, what the word "Exposure" means. The skills and abilities of these players will be "exposed" to college coaches at these events. Sometimes they expose how bad or unskilled they are compared to elite players. College coaches don't recruit bad or below average players. Just because a kid attends an event doesn't guarantee getting recruited or a scholarship. But failing to attend and play almost 100% eliminates a kid's chances of getting seen or recruited.

Parents and kids shouldn't look to bash Exposure Events because the kid is not a good player & isn't being recuited. Fact is that most high school players are not good enough to play in college. And fact is, some people don't know that they don't know. Some people are delusional. That's the facts!