96 Melrose

Solomon

It's state title week so seems like as good of time as any to bring them up.

20th anniversary of one of the most talented and impressive teams in state history. I still chuckle when I think about them visiting Milan in the playoffs that year and running them off the field.

My favorite thing about the team was they would go 4/5 wide down the field and then go full house T inside the 20 and run the double cross better than any team I've ever seen. They were just a fun, fun team to watch.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are some folks out there that saw this team in real time. I was in Jr. High when they were on their run

I wa a sophomore and played on the Milan team that they destroyed first rd. Worst Milan beat down I have ever seen.

On another note. That Melrose team had to forfeit several games that year but still qualified for the playoffs. Anyone remember why??

Ced Wilson, Kendall Moorehead, Dewayne Robertson, etc, those dudes were bad ahh... the thing I really liked were them Gold Shoes they used to have

Don't forget Andre Lott.He was a beast at linebacker.And yes the gold shoes I remember them well.They torched Giles Co. in the playoffs that year.I think it was 96 might have been 95 or 97 hard to remember when you get my age.

I wa a sophomore and played on the Milan team that they destroyed first rd. Worst Milan beat down I have ever seen.

On another note. That Melrose team had to forfeit several games that year but still qualified for the playoffs. Anyone remember why??

Yeah ... I followed that team very closely. I remember. Coach Tim Thompson discovered that one of his players may have been ineligible, so he self reported and put the player off the team. The TSSAA said that they had to forfeit all of the games that he played in. He had played in 4 games. Melrose had to run the table to get the 4 seed. I remember thinking ... "Oh my goodness, I feel sorry for the 1 seed". Melrose became the ultimate road warriors in the playoffs and just went out into the surrounding counties and just SMASHED teams on their own fields. It was incredible to witness. When Melrose played those game, all of Orange Mound showed up in Rural TN. Picture THAT in your mind.  

Edited by kwc

Yeah ... I followed that team very closely. I remember. Coach Tim Thompson discovered that one of his players may have been intelligible, so he self reported and put the player off the team. The TSSAA said that they had to forfeit all of the games that he played in. He had played in 4 games. Melrose had to run the table to get the 4 seed. I remember thinking ... "Oh my goodness, I feel sorry for the 1 seed". Melrose became the ultimate road warriors in the playoffs and just went out into the surrounding counties and just SMASHED teams on their own fields. It was incredible to witness. When Melrose played those game, all of Orange Mound showed up in Rural TN. Picture THAT in your mind.  

It was quite entertaining.

God they were good. Played Cover 0 every single play.

Yeah ... I followed that team very closely. I remember. Coach Tim Thompson discovered that one of his players may have been intelligible, so he self reported and put the player off the team. The TSSAA said that they had to forfeit all of the games that he played in. He had played in 4 games. Melrose had to run the table to get the 4 seed. I remember thinking ... "Oh my goodness, I feel sorry for the 1 seed". Melrose became the ultimate road warriors in the playoffs and just went out into the surrounding counties and just SMASHED teams on their own fields. It was incredible to witness. When Melrose played those game, all of Orange Mound showed up in Rural TN. Picture THAT in your mind.

My team team was the 1 seed and we were destroyed. I was a sophomore. It was a very demoralizing loss. But it made us work extremely hard in the off season. 2 years later when I was a senior we were state champs.