Gary Rankin & George Quarles

BoardHater71

Rankin can be a real piece of work. A few years ago a gritty Mcminn Central team with a .500 record gave Alcoa a dog fight in the first round of the playoffs. Rankin responded to this by telling the media that Central was "dirty as crap" and went as far as saying that he didnt even want his team to shake hands with Central's players after the game. What kind of coach says that to the media?

My only real beef with Rankin was throwing that lineman under the bus after the game in an interview on TV with the kid standing right beside him when they lost to CPA. I know the kids father and really upset me to see that because one play didn't change the out come in that game. The positive side is that he is a tough individual and will not put up with any crap and you play by his rules or hit the road. I can go back to 1965 and tell anyone Alcoa has always had the best athletes overall year after year but they can only win when the warden is running the prisoners and not the other way around. I have to give the man credit there because I've seen it the other way for many years.

GQ & GR, one word sums it up. WINNERS. Now you can dice it up any way you want too but both men are winners. You can say GQ does this or GR is this. Bottom line is this...they both have a style that works and will not give in to please anyone. I only know what I see when I watch games, I don't know how they communicate with there players and media. There are a bunch of different ways to win and they have 2 proven plans. Don't think either has ever been in trouble with the T$$AA either.

There is WAY more to being a 'GREAT' Coach other than wins and losses.

Thusly Rankin is a 'good' Coach, and Coach Q is a GREAT COACH!

That is from someone who did NOT Coach against Rankin but had a son that was a 4 year STARTER for him.  Man has the personality of a wooden post and an ego as big as the Hoover Dam out west.

I guarantee Coach Q has way less ex players in jails in the state!  Ask Coach R if he can say the same..........or even knows or cares!

Now the loyal Rankin acolytes can pile on!

You say your son was a 4 year starter and than GR has more kids in jails than GQ. What has that got to do with who is better?Lot of kids go to jail and/or have problems that are embarrassing. In my view it's what they do after they make those mistakes. They can always turn there life around IF THEY WANT TOO! Who has put more players in the college ranks, who has more players that have played in the NFL? Just a question. Not taking GR side or GQ side, just asking a question. Hope your son is not one of GR's former players in jail. If he's not in jail, where does the credit go too? GR maybe?

Edited by devilsden

You must be one of the coaches who couldn't beat him.... Have you asked him? He would tell you the truth. And arrogant he is not. He is a little shy and doesn't say much sometimes. People mistake it for arrogance. He would be the first to give credit to his players and assistant coaches. You are only proving you don't know him. He gets the most out of his guys and he wins... People who can't do the same choose to dislike him. You could learn a lot from his method.

Wonder if he ever thinks about how BA kept beating his teams? Riverdale was getting athletes from everywhere back then and he still wasn't very successful against BA who was getting players the same way.

He will forever be remembered by many many people as the guy who ultimately created the current public -private split.

You say your son was a 4 year starter and than GR has more kids in jails than GQ. What has that got to do with who is better?Lot of kids go to jail and/or have problems that are embarrassing. In my view it's what they do after they make those mistakes. They can always turn there life around IF THEY WANT TOO! Who has put more players in the college ranks, who has more players that have played in the NFL? Just a question. Not taking GR side or GQ side, just asking a question. Hope your son is not one of GR's former players in jail. If he's not in jail, where does the credit go too? GR maybe?

Back in July a former Maryville player was front page news on the Sunday morning paper with his  picture and he started  in the early 2000.s as a db for holding his kid hostage with a gun from the mother so both teams have had their bad eggs along with all the others. If someone did some research you would come up with an all county team of jailbirds. No coach can be responsible for the actions someone takes after they get out in the real world.

Edited by BarneySox2007

Not taking it away from him but if all those other schools where never built they would still be dominent

Agreed!  That is why his decision to leave Riverdale was a wise one as I stated earlier.  He would have never left the Boro otherwise.  Too much "wealth" is being shared in Rutherford County now and teams like this season's Oakland team aren't as common as we once knew.

Would Alcoa be as dominant?  They have gotten better under Rankin.  The 2004 championship took a major comeback in the second half against Huntingdon.  The 2005 championship was a mismatch no question about it.  In 2006-2010, 2013, and 2015-2016 they haven't been "unbeatable" in every single year.  Rankin did have to do some coaching for those years to end with titles.  

What's the age difference between these two coaches? Does GQ continue to coach after Rankin has retired? If so then he has a very good shot at catching him. GQ has continued to field teams that are technically sound. Looking from the outside it appears as if he doesn't compromise discipline for talent. Each player has to play within the program rather than the program adjusting to the player.

you are correct air.

Agreed!  That is why his decision to leave Riverdale was a wise one as I stated earlier.  He would have never left the Boro otherwise.  Too much "wealth" is being shared in Rutherford County now and teams like this season's Oakland team aren't as common as we once knew.

Would Alcoa be as dominant?  They have gotten better under Rankin.  The 2004 championship took a major comeback in the second half against Huntingdon.  The 2005 championship was a mismatch no question about it.  In 2006-2010, 2013, and 2015-2016 they haven't been "unbeatable" in every single year.  Rankin did have to do some coaching for those years to end with titles.

look at who they play.

There is WAY more to being a 'GREAT' Coach other than wins and losses.

Thusly Rankin is a 'good' Coach, and Coach Q is a GREAT COACH!

That is from someone who did NOT Coach against Rankin but had a son that was a 4 year STARTER for him.  Man has the personality of a wooden post and an ego as big as the Hoover Dam out west.

I guarantee Coach Q has way less ex players in jails in the state!  Ask Coach R if he can say the same..........or even knows or cares!

Now the loyal Rankin acolytes can pile on!

post of the year