Mairvul Footbawl 2017

STARSNBARS

Maryville lost in 2012 because they could not stop Whitehaven running back. No body could. Whitehaven was the better team that night.

Understand your general theory here.  A ballgame is more than just one play ... and there are other opportunities throughout the course of the game to determine who wins and who loses.  And yes, that rb for Whitehaven was really, really good.  But there are occasions where you can point to one specific mistake by officials that directly determines the outcome of a game.  In the case of Maryville vs Whitehaven I believe one could say this.  The referees were caught off guard by the play Maryville executed perfectly and they threw a flag that should not have been thrown.  Had they not ... Maryville would have won the game.  I would contend this was the case this past weekend in the Ohio State vs Michigan game.  After watching the replay over and over, it appeared as if the ref's made a  mistake on the spotting of the ball on OSU's 4th down play in ot.  IF the ref's get this right, Michigan wins the game.  Yes, Michigan had other opportunities to win the game, but you can't completely ignore the fact that "one mistake by an official (s)" is capable of changing the final outcome of a game.  And by the way, don't throw all the Maryville fans to the wolves for my post ... I'm a William Blount fan. :)

Edited by GovMan

Understand your general theory here.  A ballgame is more than just one play ... and there are other opportunities throughout the course of the game to determine who wins and who loses.  And yes, that rb for Whitehaven was really, really good.  But there are occasions where you can point to one specific mistake by officials that directly determines the outcome of a game.  In the case of Maryville vs Whitehaven I believe one could say this.  The referees were caught off guard by the play Maryville executed perfectly and they threw a flag that should not have been thrown.  Had they not ... Maryville would have won the game.  I would contend this was the case this past weekend in the Ohio State vs Michigan game.  After watching the replay over and over, it appeared as if the ref's made a  mistake on the spotting of the ball on OSU's 4th down play in ot.  IF the ref's get this right, Michigan wins the game.  Yes, Michigan had other opportunities to win the game, but you can't completely ignore the fact that "one mistake by an official (s)" is capable of changing the final outcome of a game.  And by the way, don't throw all the Maryville fans to the wolves for my post ... I'm a William Blount fan. :)

Govman......the following is what I think about those bad....bad.....bad officials.

Gov, I understand what you are saying and agree. Teams cant let it get to a point where the officials have a chance to decide it. Michigan had 3 series in the second had where they went three and out and only gained 5 yards when they had the lead. If they take care of business; it never gets to OT; and I don't like OSU. Maryville had a great team that year. If Maryville could have stopped Dodson from scoring one less time; they would have won. I am a Mt Juliet fan and we lost at Whitehaven by 6 in the semis that year.

My hat is off to GQ and his staff and team for the job they do every year. A great program. I would be willing to bet they will be back playing Oakland next year for the right to play for the championship.

Gov, I understand what you are saying and agree. Teams cant let it get to a point where the officials have a chance to decide it. Michigan had 3 series in the second had where they went three and out and only gained 5 yards when they had the lead. If they take care of business; it never gets to OT; and I don't like OSU. Maryville had a great team that year. If Maryville could have stopped Dodson from scoring one less time; they would have won. I am a Mt Juliet fan and we lost at Whitehaven by 6 in the semis that year.

My hat is off to GQ and his staff and team for the job they do every year. A great program. I would be willing to bet they will be back playing Oakland next year for the right to play for the championship.

good post BKisler

I think Jack Quarles could call the plays against Billy B and we'd do just fine.

That was funny. Even funnier is what Big John told my nephew when my nephew coached at William Blount in 2003 and 04. My nephew was telling us that William Blount will shock the world. Big John told my nephew this. " All of Maryville's football players could die in a bus crash" "Quarles could take 11 out of the student body and kick William Blounts a$$"