Tennessee Coach's Poll-28 November 2016

ArtusCimber

TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING POLL

From: Jeff Price                                                               Results from: 11/29/16

THIS IS THE FIRST POLL OF THE SEASON. 

Now in its 25th year, The Poll is primarily a measure of dual meet strength with some consideration to individual tournament strength.   Votes are cast by a state-wide panel of high school wrestling coaches and are based on a maximum Power Ranking of 100%.

STATE POLL:

1.BRADLEY CENTRAL          98

2.FATHER RYAN              88

3.BAYLOR                   68

4.WILSON CENTRAL           67

5.CLEVELAND                63

6.BEECH                    59

7.McCALLIE                 43

8.SCIENCE HILL             40

9.TENNESSEE HIGH           31

10.HALLS                   23

11.CHRISTIAN BROTHERS      18

12.SODDY DAISY             11

Others receiving votes:  ALCOA, ARLINGTON, COOKEVILLE, INDEPENDENCE, MBA, PIGEON FORGE, RAVENWOOD, SUMMIT, WALKER VALLEY

Edited by ArtusCimber

I'm looking at this poll and trying to digest.  I want to comment but not sure what really to say.  A "shot in the dark" comes to mind.  Who is Jeff Price and who are the other coaches that make up this poll?  I thought Jeff Price was a middle school coach, but the description says a state-wide poll of "high school coaches." 

Just a few notes, Father Ryan beat Arlington by 9.  Arlington was missing 3 wrestlers.  Is FR way down this year or is Arlington up?  Either way shouldn't they be closer in the poll? 

FR returns three champs, two 2nd, and seven overall medalists. 

Baylor returns two champs, three 3rd place medalists, and seven overall medalists.  Does this warrant a #3 ranking?

McCallie returns one champ, two 2nd, one 3rd, and six overall medalists.  Is this really a 7th place team? 

Christian Bros returns one champ, three 2nd place, one 3rd place, three 4th place, and eleven overall medalists.  And they're 11th??  How are the Bros behind McCallie and Baylor?

Science Hill returns one 6th place wrestler.  They are ranked ahead of Bros???  This is laughable.

I realize this is supposed to be a poll of dual meet strength but total number of returning medalists should be a easy determination of overall dual meet strength and these numbers just don't compute. 

So again I must ask, who are the pollsters and on what basis are they making their rankings?  Do they just take 12 teams and throw them into a hat and draw?  The power rankings are absolute garbage.  Someone please help me out here. 

Its a valid question and I assume from your replies that hes some sort of big wig in TN wrestling but I still stand by my previous statement, a pollster he is not and hes certainly not up to speed on the current state of wrestling in Tennessee.  He may be a fine person and I mean no personal disrespect but if you are going to put out a poll, then you should do your homework.  

Just a few more bits of information to prove the lack of validity in this poll:  

Soddy Daisy returns one state champ and a fifth place medalist.  So that slots them 12th with a power ranking just behind Christian Bros?

Pigeon Forge returns four state placers and they not top 12.

Observer,

Thanks for your comments. One thing we say about this poll is that people may hate it, but at least they're talking about it. You have some great points. 

As for my polling credentials, I began voting in 1996 when I was head coach at Jefferson County, representing region 1. I took over for Bill Brimer (a name you should learn about as well, if you are relatively new to TN wrestling). When Luther Killian (another middle school coach now), gave up moderating the poll after 24 years at the helm, I took over. Call it an old man not wanting to fade away just yet. 

Until I took over the poll, I didn't know who the other voters were, and I'm not going to share that publicly. If they want to come forward and be counted, that's up to them. Suffice it to say that there is a mix of DI and DII guys, AAA and A-AA guys, youth and age, and geographical location. I have chosen not to vote myself; I'm simply counting the votes. I tell you this so that you won't accuse me of some Science Hill bias (I was head coach there from 1999-2013, when I decided to become a middle school coach). 

Understand as well that we recognize more than anyone else that this first poll is almost total conjecture. It will sort itself out in the next couple of weeks, and I look forward to your input as we do our best to calibrate our thinking so that the result is as objective a poll as is humanly possible.

Thanks for reading and responding to the poll. If you are ever anywhere I am, come and introduce yourself. 

Edited by ArtusCimber

Its a valid question and I assume from your replies that hes some sort of big wig in TN wrestling but I still stand by my previous statement, a pollster he is not and hes certainly not up to speed on the current state of wrestling in Tennessee.  He may be a fine person and I mean no personal disrespect but if you are going to put out a poll, then you should do your homework.  

Just a few more bits of information to prove the lack of validity in this poll:  

Soddy Daisy returns one state champ and a fifth place medalist.  So that slots them 12th with a power ranking just behind Christian Bros?

Pigeon Forge returns four state placers and they not top 12.

Worth noting that Jeff Price is just the coordinator of the poll.  This is the same poll that has been put out for years, Jeff has recently taken over as the coordinator.  There is a state-wide panel of coaches who vote on the poll so if you aren't happy with the rankings then your issue is really with those coaches and not with Jeff.  Jeff just consolidates the results.

I do think that there were potentially some changes to the coaches who vote in the poll this year as well but I don't know that for fact.

Most years it takes a little while for results to roll in and the poll to shake itself out as there aren't many results to go on.

A couple of other notes on comments made:

- Regarding score between Father Ryan and Arlington, I doubt that was the full varsity line-up for either team.  Arlington has already taken a couple of loses this year without what most would consider their full line-up but note that they are in the others receiving votes list.  My guess is they are being given credit based on state performance last year and early season short-handed results.

- CBHS seems to have been mentioned several times.  Like most years, they will need to earn their ranking... thankfully, like most years, their schedule should afford them that opportunity.  I wouldn't worry about where they are ranked... I doubt that they are!

Worth noting that Jeff Price is just the coordinator of the poll.  This is the same poll that has been put out for years, Jeff has recently taken over as the coordinator.  There is a state-wide panel of coaches who vote on the poll so if you aren't happy with the rankings then your issue is really with those coaches and not with Jeff.  Jeff just consolidates the results.

I do think that there were potentially some changes to the coaches who vote in the poll this year as well but I don't know that for fact.

Most years it takes a little while for results to roll in and the poll to shake itself out as there aren't many results to go on.

A couple of other notes on comments made:

- Regarding score between Father Ryan and Arlington, I doubt that was the full varsity line-up for either team.  Arlington has already taken a couple of loses this year without what most would consider their full line-up but note that they are in the others receiving votes list.  My guess is they are being given credit based on state performance last year and early season short-handed results.

- CBHS seems to have been mentioned several times.  Like most years, they will need to earn their ranking... thankfully, like most years, their schedule should afford them that opportunity.  I wouldn't worry about where they are ranked... I doubt that they are!

All good points.  Just curious why you feel that CBHS has to "earn their ranking" while some of the other legacy teams get an honorary ranking.  Looking at past years polls this hasn't seemed to work out.  

So lets discuss!  The poll is a great starting point for debate.  I've made my, case and now that everyone has come to Mr. Price's rescue, lets talk about wrestling.  Does anyone care to comment on my earlier points regarding placement within the poll?

Thanks to all my rescuers???

All I can say is that this first poll is pretty much a bunch of silly wild arsed guesses. If we had waited a week to put it out it might have been a little less incendiary. Bradley and Baylor wrestle tonight, so that is a start. Most of the teams on the list will see each other at the Cleveland Duals, which will sort a good bit of it out. Science Hill wrestles Cleveland next Friday. 

I will say this about basing dual meet strength on returning placers. While it is probably not true of most of the teams on this list, it is possible to have four or five medalists and not much else. The best state tournament finish I had at Jeff County, I only took five wrestlers to state. Two champions, a fourth and a fifth later and we are in seventh place. My dual team, however, finished third in the conference and didn't even make the region duals. 

As to why Christian Brothers ended up where they are, I can't help you with that. I'm guessing they'll be at Cleveland next week and they'll get to make their case where it matters. Which keeps bringing me back to my theme-until people get the chance to actually see each other, it's all guesswork.

At the very least, Chris has some very powerful bulletin board material.

This is why rankings are there... suspense & discussion purposes only. Should mean nothing to coaches and Wrestlers as they focus on their usual preparations one match/tournament at a time... silly if they do otherwise.

Prenominal analysis early on, science hill will do well as their pipeline and high school varsity pulls the cart in the same direction. Same with Soddy, which they are likely ranked more on their surprise dual finish last season and overall success through the years,,,, +they are respected as a team that takes on everyone anywhere and adjusts. The Bro's are likely underrated. Ryan and Arlington is family, but so is MBA, so who knows what would have happened if the outcome even mattered at this point. Season's end could be interesting between the public's (PF included) and privates. Bradley, Cleveland, Wilson Central, Tn High, Beech, Pigeon Forge, with CBHS, Ryan, Baylor toward the top five, McCallie, The Hill and Soddy pulling up the rear.

Note to the future of Tennessee wrestling landscape as this coach we should all know (Centennial and Ravenwood) begins his new op at a new high school...

http://nolensvilleknights.scorebird.com/

I know of one new elementary super star moving into the area just to join him. (Note: it came down to Ryan as first runner up and then BA)

but if you are going to put out a poll, then you should do your homework.  

I think you misunderstand the definition of a "poll". There isn't any homework for him to do. The coaches all vote on the rankings.

Just curious why you feel that CBHS has to "earn their ranking" while some of the other legacy teams get an honorary ranking. 

What is a "legacy team" and which team on the rankings above are getting an "honorary ranking"?

Thanks to all my rescuers???

All I can say is that this first poll is pretty much a bunch of silly wild arsed guesses. If we had waited a week to put it out it might have been a little less incendiary. Bradley and Baylor wrestle tonight, so that is a start. Most of the teams on the list will see each other at the Cleveland Duals, which will sort a good bit of it out. Science Hill wrestles Cleveland next Friday. 

I will say this about basing dual meet strength on returning placers. While it is probably not true of most of the teams on this list, it is possible to have four or five medalists and not much else. The best state tournament finish I had at Jeff County, I only took five wrestlers to state. Two champions, a fourth and a fifth later and we are in seventh place. My dual team, however, finished third in the conference and didn't even make the region duals. 

As to why Christian Brothers ended up where they are, I can't help you with that. I'm guessing they'll be at Cleveland next week and they'll get to make their case where it matters. Which keeps bringing me back to my theme-until people get the chance to actually see each other, it's all guesswork.

At the very least, Chris has some very powerful bulletin board material.

According to Baylor website: BC Baylor Varsity vs. Bradley Central

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 06, 2016

Time: 6:00PM

http://www.baylorschool.org/calendars/item/index.aspx?pageaction=ViewSinglePublic&LinkID=18910&ModuleID=13&TeamID=2287