GP West/Bruin Invitational

WrestlingGod

Arlington had 10 wrestlers! Get over it, Soddy is not #3.

Observer thank goodness you are an observer, because we know you don't know anything about wrestling and watching is the best way for you to learn. First the rankings are mostly based off dual strength and nothing to do with individual tourneys. You know why that is? It's because draws can determine a lot of different points that can take place and as we saw seeds don't always make it right. Soddy already beat Arlington by 13 this year. So yes Soddy head to head is better, also that Arlington team will get beat like a drum by Bradley and Cleveland. Right now everyone else is fighting for third in the state and it's because Soddy won't have a chance to be there to fight for it themselves which would also happen if Arlington had the same region. I do think right now though the rankings should be Cleveland, Bradley, TN high, Soddy along with Beech and Arlington and Wilson central. Also why can Arlington not fill a full team, checking track they haven't had one all season and boy they have some studs and that team would be tough if they could fill every weight.

actually, cobra, the polls always state that "some consideration to individual tournaments".   otherwise I agree with your entire post.

from a recent poll posting:

Now in its 25th year, The Poll is primarily a measure of dual meet strength with some consideration to individual tournament strength.   Votes are cast by a state-wide panel of high school wrestling coaches and are based on a maximum Power Ranking of 100%.

Edited by texas23

Observer thank goodness you are an observer, because we know you don't know anything about wrestling and watching is the best way for you to learn. First the rankings are mostly based off dual strength and nothing to do with individual tourneys. You know why that is? It's because draws can determine a lot of different points that can take place and as we saw seeds don't always make it right. Soddy already beat Arlington by 13 this year. So yes Soddy head to head is better, also that Arlington team will get beat like a drum by Bradley and Cleveland. Right now everyone else is fighting for third in the state and it's because Soddy won't have a chance to be there to fight for it themselves which would also happen if Arlington had the same region. I do think right now though the rankings should be Cleveland, Bradley, TN high, Soddy along with Beech and Arlington and Wilson central. Also why can Arlington not fill a full team, checking track they haven't had one all season and boy they have some studs and that team would be tough if they could fill every weight.

I observe enough to know I've said all season that Arlington is being overlooked (also said the same about CBHS which most have finally decided to agree) and Soddy is overrated. You are correct that dual meet strength and individual tournaments are two separate arguments but when a team of 10 beats a full squad of 14, that is certainly saying something about the strength of those 10. I never claimed Arlington is in the same class as BC and I'll give you that BUT you and the other blind optimists need to admit that Soddy is not as strong as you claim. Sure, sure they are stuck in a tough region but it doesn't matter this year, they wouldn't make it out of the majority. It's amazing how upset you get, it's like I'm Dateline NBC and I've exposed a massive fraud. I know you're still in denial, but you and Bernie Madoff need to get your head out of the sand.

actually, cobra, the polls always state that "some consideration to individual tournaments".   otherwise I agree with your entire post.

from a recent poll posting:

Now in its 25th year, The Poll is primarily a measure of dual meet strength with some consideration to individual tournament strength.   Votes are cast by a state-wide panel of high school wrestling coaches and are based on a maximum Power Ranking of 100%.

Thanks Texas. Dual meet strength is the main measuring stick, and my OW has been okay with the poll for the past few weeks, but he might be so happy this time. I think there will be some shuffling, or there ought to be in any case. Individual tournament finishes have too many variables to be completely reliable, although I hope it comes into play this week. The resulting shakeup will get people talking again.

Tip of the hat to Arlington. I like it anytime one of the lesser powers makes some show of strength.

Science Hill and Tennessee High go at it Tuesday. The first time since I came to region 1 in 1992 that two state ranked teams from this part of the state wrestled each other.

Also, Blackman, Arlington, Summit, and Science Hill will be at Christian Bros next weekend. Some potential shifting in the rankings could result.

We've wrestled Cleveland, Bradley, and Soddy, and the results suggest that the Raiders and Bears are in a league of their own right now. There are at least 10 teams that could win the final two spots in the top four.

OW, stay out of trouble the next couple of days. I'd hate to see you lose your internet privileges before the new poll comes out.

Edited by ArtusCimber

Yes artis, hopefully he enjoys the next poll, and yes it's good that a team of 10 won by a few points, however Soddy had two place at 106 which got zero points for their team on the second wrestler when they prob could have wrestled prestwood at 113 where he has been and gotten a few points from him, also at 195 their JV guy placed while their varsity wrestler got hurt and had to forfeit to the JV wrestler and so those points were not there either. Again individual tourneys have very little to do with who is the better team. Seeds can make all the difference in a individual tournament, I have seen many times in my life that the first third, fourth and fifth placed kids came from same side of bracket and the third could have easily beaten the second place kid but had to wrestle the best kid. And again OW Soddy already won head to head this year vs Arlington, even if he happened earlier this year it still happened.

Yes artis, hopefully he enjoys the next poll, and yes it's good that a team of 10 won by a few points, however Soddy had two place at 106 which got zero points for their team on the second wrestler when they prob could have wrestled prestwood at 113 where he has been and gotten a few points from him, also at 195 their JV guy placed while their varsity wrestler got hurt and had to forfeit to the JV wrestler and so those points were not there either. Again individual tourneys have very little to do with who is the better team. Seeds can make all the difference in a individual tournament, I have seen many times in my life that the first third, fourth and fifth placed kids came from same side of bracket and the third could have easily beaten the second place kid but had to wrestle the best kid. And again OW Soddy already won head to head this year vs Arlington, even if he happened earlier this year it still happened.

Cobra, I bet you're happy the carry tournaments have faded away

Congrats on what Arlington did GP West with only ten, and only One in the finals!!

To bad there's not a wildcard,,, Let's not forget what Soddy did in February last season, but it does appear the individuals is where their depth and scoring that will count pays off this season for Mr Higgins.

Proud of what "another" Mr (Johnathan) Simpson has put together out in region 8... This incredible Tennessee wrestling family is to our state (since the 60's), what the Erwin's have been to KY wrestling for some 20 years now up in Morganfield

• Upvote 1

If, if, if….should, should, should.  Ha ha ha.  Your “What If†game is strong, but its irrelevant.  You expect me to take it serious that you just claimed they should have won because their JV 106 placed.  I’m not new to this wrestling thing, but I seemed to have missed something, do you get to wrestle two at each weight class in duals?  And if you want to play the what if game, what if Arlington had 4 more wrestlers??? I’ll tell you, they would have run away and hid.  But they don’t so they just took their 10 and whipped your 14 from Soddy.  But what if Tucker Russo wouldn’t have graduated, then I think you would have won the tournament.  You see, the What if’s are as boundless as the stars. (I didn’t come up with that last line, very creative though, don’t you think?) And lastly, wrestlers earn seeds, this isn’t an AAU tournament, they aren’t just thrown into a bracket randomly.  Seeding at this tournament was good.  There were 2 wrestlers who won that were less than a 4 seed , Whitworth (because he’s 1st year and has no seeding criteria) and Wilson (bc he has no state criteria). 

Edited by ObserverW

CK8, OW clarified his position that Arlington is maybe better than many give credit for, and independent of that, that Soddy is over rated at #3.  I don't know that he claimed that Arlington is better than Soddy, though clearly that is what you inferred.  Soddy may in fact be better than Arlington, but if so I would bet  at this point the difference is paper thin.  Arlington is finally getting everyone at the right weight at the right time.  They are not the same team as before Christmas.  Case in point Bartlett beat them 42-27 (or close to that) in November.  In that meet they gave up 24 points in forfeits.  They gave up 18 points to Soddy if I am not mistaken.  Last week Arlington throttled Bartlett 50-18 giving up 12 points in forfeits.  I believe when state duals come around the Tigers may only have one empty weight class (106).  Even with that they may not still be able to overcome Soddy, but I don't think that's a given.  And that may be the greater point:  Arlington and Soddy are a lot closer to each other than they are to Bradley.  Which is what I took away from OW's jabs and jibes.  

So where have these wrestlers been all season long if they have but one weight not filled, yet every match on track they have multiple weight classes not filled? I didn't say they were not good and they probably are better at this time than Soddy is, Holcomb a top 10 wrestler quit on them a week or two ago and for some reason Prestwood is not wrestling 113 and so the year we're missing a 113 pounder and had 2 106 pounders one of which did not get a single point as he was not considered in the scoring. So if prestwood won one match at 113 which he was capable they win yesterday. Also OW Soddy beat Arlington already head to head, Soddy has moved some weights around also so it's not like they were completely set at that time either, now they might be overrated, but you also complained about Cleveland in an earlier posts at beginning of year and now you look like a fool as usual! Especially since Bradleh beat the beat from out west with CB pretty badly this past weekend, you don't think that the region is the best and as usual you continue Tom get proven wrong, so yes Soddy might be overrated, but they also come from the best region in TN wrestling year after year and that's proven year after year as you can see from the state titles it holds! As the house say to be the best you have to beat the best and Arlington has never done that, this year they will have their chance and I would like to see if they can take that title back towards the west, because good wrestling in TN is great and the Memphis area for the longest has pretty much been CB and that's it, it's great seeing the rest of the state catch up with the Chattanooga area.