Brentwood Academy vs Memphis East.. Who would win?

UCSportsFan

Memphis has long been the standard when it comes to high school basketball in the state of Tennessee and East seems to be the best team down there but are they truly the best TEAM in the state of Tennessee?  My money is on Brentwood Academy as the #1 team in the state of Tn regardless of classification.  East lost to Hamilton Heights earlier in the year.  HH just got beat by McCallie over the weekend and BA blasted McCallie by 35.  Seems to me its a no brainer here...Middle Tn has the best team in the state hands down.

Edited by UCSportsFan

Memphis has long been the standard when it comes to high school basketball in the state of Tennessee and East seems to be the best team down there but are they truly the best TEAM in the state of Tennessee? My money is on Brentwood Academy as the #1 team in the state of Tn regardless of classification. East lost to Hamilton Heights earlier in the year. HH just got beat by McCallie over the weekend and BA blasted McCallie by 35. Seems to me its a no brainer here...Middle Tn has the best team in the state hands down.

Well, except Hamilton Heights beat Brentwood Academy, so that is sort of a circular hypothesis.

Could BA be the best team? Yes.

But are they the best hands down, I don't think so.

I think it is clear that the top 3 teams in the state are BA, Memphis East & Hamilton Heights.

Hamilton Heights beat both of the other two, so they have the strongest argument.

I think McCallie just played out of their minds vs HH to win & they conversely sucked an egg this week vs BA. The reality is that McCallie probably is 4th out of this group, but they knocked off the best team... I guess that is why they play the games...

All that being said, I'd pay good money to see East vs BA...

Edited by FootballFan51

Well, except Hamilton Heights beat Brentwood Academy, so that is sort of a circular hypothesis.

Could BA be the best team? Yes.

But are they the best hands down, I don't think so.

I think it is clear that the top 3 teams in the state are BA, Memphis East & Hamilton Heights.

Hamilton Heights beat both of the other two, so they have the strongest argument.

I think McCallie just played out of their minds vs HH to win & they conversely sucked an egg this week vs BA. The reality is that McCallie probably is 4th out of this group, but they knocked off the best team... I guess that is why they play the games...

All that being said, I'd pay good money to see East vs BA...

Yeah so would I!  It would be a great game to watch for sure.   HH is definitely in the conversation, what a 4 team tourney that would be! 

HH doesn't play by the same rules as BA or ME, so it's not a valid comparison. Look at what the national ranking services have done the last few years regarding teams like Oak Hill, Findlay Prep, Montverde, Huntington Prep, and La Lumiere. HH is in that category, overtly recruiting basketball players to the high school in a process that would not be legal in the TSSAA.

Also, HH losing to McCallie has a lot to do with the fact that they have already played 30 games this season and are probably worn out. 

I dont get into who beat who to cancel out who's the better opponent. BA could beat East they've done it two summers in a row(yes summer ball i know) in Memphis. Hubie is a great coach but that team goes as far as Garland leads them and there isn't a pg in the STATE that can stop him. The two times i saw them play eachother, J.O. had big games both times and Garland had around 30 pts and set up teammates for open threes. BA played ball hawking D and didn't let TJ moss get going and Lomax(didn't play in the 2016 matchup) wasn't able to bully Garland like he does some. The top teams of DII-AA are extremely undervalued in my eyes. I also saw East barely beat a CBHS team that was basically 1 on 5 over the summer but thats another story. East also had two kids in the summer that are back at Hamilton now that are studs on the Highschool level that would've made a tremendous difference coming off the bench, and it could be argued if they had these two guys for depth they would be undefeated and champions of both of the big tournaments they lost. 

Edited by TonyG

Finally, BA's schedule isn't even as remotely difficult as ME's is. ME is the best team in TN, and a Dec. 1 loss to HH doesn't change that. HH begins practicing from the first day of school, so by December 1, they are firing on all cylinders -- hence worn out now. 

Let's see where the final national rankings fall, and then we can talk.

HH doesn't play by the same rules as BA or ME, so it's not a valid comparison. Look at what the national ranking services have done the last few years regarding teams like Oak Hill, Findlay Prep, Montverde, Huntington Prep, and La Lumiere. HH is in that category, overtly recruiting basketball players to the high school in a process that would not be legal in the TSSAA.

Also, HH losing to McCallie has a lot to do with the fact that they have already played 30 games this season and are probably worn out. 

McCallie has played 30 games also. We all know how basketball is. Anyone can be beat on any night when the talent level isn't a huge gap. I wouldn't pick Memphis East to lose against HH again, and I wouldnt pick HH to lose to McCallie if they played tomorrow. 

Edited by TonyG
  • Upvote 1

I dont get into who beat who to cancel out who's the better opponent. BA could beat East they've done it two summers in a row(yes summer ball i know) in Memphis. Hubie is a great coach but that team goes as far as Garland leads them and there isn't a pg in the STATE that can stop him. The two times i saw them play J.O. had big games both times and Garland had around 30 pts and set up teammates for open threes. BA played ball hawking D and didn't let TJ moss get going and Lomax(didn't play in the 2016 matchup) wasn't able to bully Garland like he does some. The top teams of DII-AA are extremely undervalued in my eyes. I also saw East barely beat a CBHS team that was basically 1 on 5 over the summer but thats another story. East also had two kids in the summer that are back at Hamilton now that are studs on the Highschool level that would've made a tremendous difference coming off the bench, and it could be argued if they had these two guys for depth they would be undefeated and champions of both of the big tournaments they lost. 

Great evaluation!

Great evaluation!

I've honestly seen BA play too many times to doubt them. Every time i leave their game i tell myself "dang thats a great team with a great coach". BA is #24 now on unapproved website, next year we wont be having this conversation bc East doesn't lose any players that matter and BA loses an extremely talented Jeremiah Oatsvall along with some other quality shooters. I've been on board saying that if Garland wins another ring this year, i will not be surprised if he opts for a prep school bc he's already a top 10 player and has done it on a private school level. Maybe his Dad, a former NBA veteran, will think it's better for him to go and play a nationally ranked schedule and better himself before he steps on the college floor. They are originally from Indiana so a La Lumiere move won't shock me. This is just my wacky theory though lol. 

Would be an amazing match up for sure. Hard to choose one side or the other but I guess I would have to go with BA strictly because not only do they have talent but they have been playing together for 4 years and watching them play and thier chemistry is out of the roof. Yes memphis east is staggeringly more athletic but BA's coach is tops in the state and I thin his schemes are great. With that said, this game would be one for the ages with a crazy enviroment.