Referee's

alumnicoach85

I can tell you, some A schools draw more than AAA schools. So the idea that they should get the better officials is crap ! I know several years ago they were making $85 for the two games and in most cases were able to eat and drink for free from concessions. So $170 - $255 a week is decent money for secondary jobs. And by the way, they knew the pay when they voluntarily signed up. So just have some pride and do the job !

I have reffed for years and now help coach . Times have changed . I understand there are going to be bad calls and it's part of the game . The two things I would like to see change is coaches have to be able to work refs in a professional way . Refs can draw the line when the coach goes to far . just warn him that's enough . Refs should never acknowledge anyone in the crowd you tone the crowd out . They should never laugh when making calls . Call the game and be stoic . End of story . Stop complaining about bad calls it's part of the game . Last time I checked only person perfect was Jesus

Ok, I have waited to comment on this thread because I sometimes go on a tangent about refs.  But here is a few things that I know, and ill pass it on to you for what its worth. 

Refs don't get paid more for a AAA game than a single a game.  In Knoxville area they get 95.00 for 2 games. 

Refereeing is a political mess sometimes. Some associations give all the good games to their buddies and it causes desention among the ranks. 

Now, for the last 3 years the Knox ridge and Knox south associations have been awful!!!!

With that said, overall, this is the best reffed season I've seen in a long time !!! some games have been outstanding!  

Ive seen more Assigners at games this year than in many  years.  This helps the young officials as they can give them feedback on their performance, sometimes instant feedback, as they will go in at halftime and give them feedback.  THIS HELPS ALOT!!!! 

Im even hearing that they have created an account, something like a Huddle account for football, and coaches can send in clips of calls or situations for the assigners to review and talk to officials, and sometimes explain to coaches, whom a lot don't know the rules themselves. If this is true, it will and can only help, IMO. 

Now heres whats happening in Knoxville and perhaps all across the state.  

A lot of officials are doing both high school and small college ball. Each association may have 1-2 guys that are good enough to do NCAA D2 ball. The rest do small ball, Im talking roane state, Johnson University, Walters state, Hiawassii type games. Some NAIA DII stuff too.  

So, heres what happens, they of course are wanting to do college ball, but theres not enough games at that level so they keep a high school schedule too. Some, when they return to a high school game, say at Wartburg, think their to good to be there, hence conflict with coaches and fans. See, in college u have to let a coach chew u a little on a bad call, in high school they tee them immediately , because, hey, I'm a college ref, and your not going to question me!!! sit down and shut up, basically. Treat the kids the same way too.  

Im not sure, but Tennessee is the only one that I know of that allows this bouncing back and forth. Its not about the money as these games pay like 140.00, but you may travel quite a way, rather than stay home and make the 95.00. This is purely ego and aspirations.  

As a result, the good ones go to do a small college game and the assigners have to scramble to get refs to HS games, and WALAH, you have badly called games by guys who aren't awful guys, or have and agenda, Their just not ready for Varsity Ball, thats all. NOBODY wants to do a bad job at anything in life, IMO.  

Next, It causes some of the worst Mechanics on refs that I have ever seen.  They look like airline traffic controllers out there. I mean, IDK if they forget where there at or what? But they are using both HS and College Mechanics and its just a joke.  

Heres an example of not being ready for HS varsity ball.  I went to a game the other night and it was a one point game.  Had a couple so so guys with a really good official. Theres 4.5 seconds on clock and losing team knocks ball out of bounds and winning team gets ball under losing teams basket. Losing team calls time out to set up press.  They come out of the time out and they are about to get a 5 second call and the guy takes off running the baseline and throws it in.  This is a clear violation , and should have been called and given to the losing team under their basket.  the losing coach complained the whole time winning team was shooting fts. Its little thing , and they may not have won, but it was a game changer. 

Well, its a long post but its my two cents.  Maybe you'll look at the games different now, Maybe not. LOL

Saw a call earlier in the year where one ref called charge and one called block. After a lengthy discussion, they charged the both with the foul. Last night, two guys on the same team were rolling around on the floor battling each other for the ball. (Did you hear me say THE SAME TEAM?) The coach, fearing a walking call, called for a timeout just as the ref was calling jump ball. The entire gym went silent in utter amazement. It just doesn't get any better than that!