Who has the most wins in Tennessee boys history?

baconbreath

I posted this challenge on the girls board to find out which public school in Tennessee has the most wins in boys basketball.

Bradley Central has 2049 wins, 803 losses and 1 tie in their all-time history of nearly 100 years. The 1 tie resulted when a discrepancy arose in a game with Baylor many years ago when the manually operated scoreboard was in disagreement with the official score book. The official had already left the building so it was declared a tie.

Can any team show documented proof of more than 2049 wins? The Bear record is documented game-by-game. I would like to see some responses. Any school approaching or beating this total would have to be open 100 years or more.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this challenge on the girls board to find out which public school in Tennessee has the most wins in boys basketball.

Bradley Central has 2049 wins, 803 losses and 1 tie in their all-time history of nearly 100 years. The 1 tie resulted when a discrepancy arose in a game with Baylor many years ago when the manually operated scoreboard was in disagreement with the official score book. The official had already left the building so it was declared a tie.

Can any team show documented proof of more than 2049 wins? The Bear record is documented game-by-game. I would like to see some responses. Any school approaching or beating this total would have to be open 100 years or more.

Dobyns-Bennett used to be the All Time winningest team in TN history. Not sure if they still are or not though? Would have to check with one of their fans on that. I'll try to get OR's All time record. I just asked our stats guru. Waiting on his reply lol. We have a really good record, but we have only been playing since 1943, a lot shorter time than some of the original older schools like Bradley and DB.

Im guessing kent smith, who is now in bradleys hall of fame who retired 2 years ago thanks to knee surgery, is responsible for almost half those wins. He coached from mid 90s till 2014 and had great teams in early 2000s such as tanner oglesby who signed with clemson, mr basketball 2000 josh hare and his brother justin hare and another young guy that signed with belmont. After this year they will be in reload mode since they have 4 seniors

Coach Kent Smith accounted for 436 of the 2049 wins while his grand dad "Tip" Smith recorded 288 total wins and two state titles in 1940 and 1942. Jimmie Lovell (the first Bear basketball coach starting in 1921) had 267 wins, Bill Walker had 268 wins and a state title in 1962 while Earl Rowan had 275 wins as the head coach. 

This is all documented in Ownbey's book about Bradley Central basketball.

Im guessing kent smith, who is now in bradleys hall of fame who retired 2 years ago thanks to knee surgery, is responsible for almost half those wins. He coached from mid 90s till 2014 and had great teams in early 2000s such as tanner oglesby who signed with clemson, mr basketball 2000 josh hare and his brother justin hare and another young guy that signed with belmont. After this year they will be in reload mode since they have 4 seniors

I think you ment Terrence Oglesby who graduated in 2007 and went on to Clemson. Kid was un stoppable in middle school when he played for Maury in Jeff Co TN. The best teams I ever say was the Pickle and Hare days in 2003 when they lost to white station in the championship game. BC had beat them earlier in the year at the Arby's classic. The white station team was loaded with names like Jp prince, Dane Bradshaw, Courtney pigrim, Melvin Wilkes.