Charlie Morgan resigns at Dobyns Bennett

stockton4182

Yea i dont see Green leaving plus hes got better athletes down there. Im pretty sure John Good is a serious contender for the job and ive heard that from alot of people.

I don't know about better athletes. I think it's a lateral move in that category also. DB has athletes you haven't heard of because the coaches haven't made a very good effort to get them into sports. I know I know, every school has good athletes walking the halls. But It's been a special problem at DB for a few years now.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O yea id say there is a ton on talent walking yall halls because something is going on. There is no reason for a school as big as DB and the tradition not to be producing good team year in and year out like in the past. OR has more talent on the court i mean they got 4 to 5 kids that are about 6'5. I hope DB does go to Knoxville or Memphis or out of state to get there coach so we can keep ours.

Green certainly has better athletes. He has had better athletes than anyone else in the area for several years now. I also think he is good and getting the kids involved from a very early age. He is good in the community, also.

That being said, I don't think he is a great Xs and Os coach. He appears to be excellent at the other parts of running a program, though.

I really don't understand what happened to Morgan. Early on I thought he was a pretty good coach. He had received several coaching awards. Something happened, though. Did he get lazy? Lose touch? Lack on involvement with youth programs and middle school? Did he just stay a few years too long and everyone got fatigued?

O yea id say there is a ton on talent walking yall halls because something is going on. There is no reason for a school as big as DB and the tradition not to be producing good team year in and year out like in the past. OR has more talent on the court i mean they got 4 to 5 kids that are about 6'5. I hope DB does go to Knoxville or Memphis or out of state to get there coach so we can keep ours.

Whos your team? I do know Foreman is a heck of a shooter but he's small

OldIndian18,

Let me give you a quick dose of logic. If a coach (football & basketball) has two losing seasons is a row, has players leaving the team, transferring, or just choosing not to play at all, for a school that leads the state in all time wins in both sports, then whoever "doesn't speak up" are the negative ones. You sound like you support loosing. I support winning. I completely agree with what you said about all that is good about DB. But noticed you left out the most important thing "for today". They are not winning. Winning is what made all those great things about DB. That is now gone. You're okay with it. I am not. It's that simple.

Thanks for the logic lesson. Not sure that you are drawing the right inferences, though. I have seen a lot of wins by DB over the years and it is a nice place to be a winner. It is a pitiful and ornery place to have a losing record. There is no patience for it. I do not think that any of the current or former coaches at DB went about their jobs trying to lose games. Now, that would be illogical. There does seem to be a quickness to let the players off the hook, whether the players "quit" their teammates or just did not apply themselves in the offseason to improve their own skills, size, etc. Watch that apologetic approach -- it will not lead to success.

In the golden days at DB, there were always athletes who sacrificed their summers and holidays to be at the gym or in the weight room so that they could improve themselves. One summer for Coach Van Huss, we played over 40 scrimmages in a six week span. If you missed one of those scrimmages to go to the beach, you did not see the court for a while. The best players did not test the system. It was the system that worked and won lots of games. Kingsport's parents/athletes may not be as willing to make those sacrifices. Certainly, where I live (big city), the high school coaches constantly have trouble getting kids to turn out for offseason scrimmages and workouts. If that is the community mindset in Kingsport, then it will take a coach who is able to shake out the apologists and quitter mentality that seems to be the real problem. Morgan is probably glad to let someone else solve that problem. 

My personal opinion is that Coach Morgan just got lazy. He got too comfortable with the job. I mean the man has been there what, 17 yrs?

I know WaCo won't want to hear it but Coach Good at Crockett would be an excellent hire for DB. It doesn't matter if the man is from Knoxville, Nashville or the Tri-Cities. A good coach is a good coach.

Edited by WBNC83

My personal opinion is that Coach Morgan just got lazy. He got too comfortable with the job. I mean the man has been there what, 17 yrs?

I know WaCo won't want to hear it but Coach Good at Crockett would be an excellent hire for DB. It doesn't matter if the man is from Knoxville, Nashville or the Tri-Cities. A good coach is a good coach.

Coach Good going nowhere he will stay at Crockett