Cleveland gets Turf

fooseball95

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The turf sat under the bleachers for two years at WV. The head "coach" wanted it. The deal was they got it only had to pay for it if it was installed. Nobody wanted to raise funds for it. I don't know why the board would hate WV they have the highest test score in the county and this year will set another record for academic scholarships. Last year was very impressive. They have the only National Merit Scholar in our community also. Yeah they should hate them. What a crazy idea educate the kids at a school. Terrible.

Academics is another thing but just tells you that football isn't too important at WV like it is at most schools

Let's put a few things to rest here.

It's not about whether football is important to Walker Valley or not.

The bottom line is in our County Commission's eyes, turf is a "want" not a need. They will NOT raise the Tax Rate one penny for anything unless it is absolutely necessary and probably ordered by a court. If they were to try, they would have a virtual lynch mob in their meeting room.

And remember, the Chairman of the Commission is Louie Alford, former coach of Bradley Central when they won the state championship and played on an undefeated team in his HS playing days. So saying the commission is anti sports is not exactly correct either. But rather the politics of raising taxes. There has been a 3 year debate  to pay for a school academic building that went nowhere, till a major new company moved in and enlarged the tax base enough to do so without raising tax rates.

In almost all cases, in our county, the high school sports programs (and other extra curricular activities), outside of pay required by statute, is done with money raised by the booster clubs. The County will not spend a dime on those items and complain about what they do spend.

Cleveland High has the advantage of a City School Board and a City Commission who won't back up from raising taxes, and the populace says "yes, how much". And for your information, in 2013 the City raised the tax rate 18 cents. and this year they are talking about 29 cents on top of that, and that is where a lot of the money for Cleveland High's new turf is coming from.

While most outside our county would not know this, and I am sure a lot of volunteer effort and fund raising goes on everywhere, locals should know the financial conditions our sports programs work under. It's a credit to those supporters that work so hard and the coaches we are competitive at all, and have what we do have.

Lots more to know about the turf deal at CHS.

1. Alan Jones had zero to do with it...not a penny of his money will go towards turf...directly or indirectly.  Contrary to popular belief, he supports the wrestling program and not much else.
  2. Turf has been part of a longer-term plan that was to come in phases.  Turf was included in the last phase, but the company approached CHS about putting it in and made them an offer they couldn't turn down
  3. The company is in Rhea County, and had a part in Rhea's turf...but weren't the primary manufacturers or installers. The company in Rhea (I forget the name) now makes and installs sports fields and needed a "showplace" nearby.
  4. One of their primary salespeople has a CHS connection.  Also, the new Cleveland jetport made it easy for folks to visit and have a look.
  5. The money the City School Board allocated for the turf was in the "discretionary fund" already...but wasn't earmarked for anything.  Some say it was a holdover from the new city elementary school that never got built...but that still needs doing and will happen, so that doesn't make much sense.
  6. Cleveland Schools are far from "rich", and spend an inordinate amount of money dealing with children below the poverty level and children who don't speak English as their first language...those numbers are exploding in the city system in comparison to the Bradley County system...so, no...to say the city system is "rich" is not close to true...they are over-crowded and under-funded.
  7. CHS varsity athletics are largely funded by parents and boosters...and corporate donations to the general athletic fund.  This is pretty amazing, considering the low numbers of boosters for each sport (especially football) compared to the number of players.   (Last I heard, less than 50% of football parents were members of the booster club)
  8. The original plan for turf was to mount a large private effort to raise the funds.  That program was put on hold during the period that the new gym was being built and funded.
  9. Good on CHS for finding a way...  A quality turf surface will benefit more than the football team.  It'll benefit the band, PE classes, track, the middle school, and the community.
  10. Now...for the jumbotron..  B)

• Alan Jones had zero to do with it...not a penny of his money will go towards turf...directly or indirectly. Contrary to popular belief, he supports the wrestling program and not much else.
  • Turf has been part of a longer-term plan that was to come in phases. Turf was included in the last phase, but the company approached CHS about putting it in and made them an offer they couldn't turn down
  • The company is in Rhea County, and had a part in Rhea's turf...but weren't the primary manufacturers or installers. The company in Rhea (I forget the name) now makes and installs sports fields and needed a "showplace" nearby.
  • One of their primary salespeople has a CHS connection. Also, the new Cleveland jetport made it easy for folks to visit and have a look.
  • The money the City School Board allocated for the turf was in the "discretionary fund" already...but wasn't earmarked for anything. Some say it was a holdover from the new city elementary school that never got built...but that still needs doing and will happen, so that doesn't make much sense.
  • Cleveland Schools are far from "rich", and spend an inordinate amount of money dealing with children below the poverty level and children who don't speak English as their first language...those numbers are exploding in the city system in comparison to the Bradley County system...so, no...to say the city system is "rich" is not close to true...they are over-crowded and under-funded.
  • CHS varsity athletics are largely funded by parents and boosters...and corporate donations to the general athletic fund. This is pretty amazing, considering the low numbers of boosters for each sport (especially football) compared to the number of players. (Last I heard, less than 50% of football parents were members of the booster club)
  • The original plan for turf was to mount a large private effort to raise the funds. That program was put on hold during the period that the new gym was being built and funded.
  • Good on CHS for finding a way... A quality turf surface will benefit more than the football team. It'll benefit the band, PE classes, track, the middle school, and the community.
  • Now...for the jumbotron.. B)
If we're gonna get a jumbotron, we need to win a state championship first lol.

Let's put a few things to rest here.

It's not about whether football is important to Walker Valley or not.

The bottom line is in our County Commission's eyes, turf is a "want" not a need. They will NOT raise the Tax Rate one penny for anything unless it is absolutely necessary and probably ordered by a court. If they were to try, they would have a virtual lynch mob in their meeting room.

And remember, the Chairman of the Commission is Louie Alford, former coach of Bradley Central when they won the state championship and played on an undefeated team in his HS playing days. So saying the commission is anti sports is not exactly correct either. But rather the politics of raising taxes. There has been a 3 year debate to pay for a school academic building that went nowhere, till a major new company moved in and enlarged the tax base enough to do so without raising tax rates.

In almost all cases, in our county, the high school sports programs (and other extra curricular activities), outside of pay required by statute, is done with money raised by the booster clubs. The County will not spend a dime on those items and complain about what they do spend.

Cleveland High has the advantage of a City School Board and a City Commission who won't back up from raising taxes, and the populace says "yes, how much". And for your information, in 2013 the City raised the tax rate 18 cents. and this year they are talking about 29 cents on top of that, and that is where a lot of the money for Cleveland High's new turf is coming from.

While most outside our county would not know this, and I am sure a lot of volunteer effort and fund raising goes on everywhere, locals should know the financial conditions our sports programs work under. It's a credit to those supporters that work so hard and the coaches we are competitive at all, and have what we do have.

Well since we are putting things straight and you quoted me. I never said anything about the commission hating them except to wonder why they would. It was in response to another post that said they must hate WV for letting the turf sit there. The rest is true. I know boosters / gate / concessions/ fund raisers is where the money comes from. I heard first hand what was said about the turf and even asked someone myself why they would let it sit there. That was the answer I got. I didn't see where anyone said the Commission was anti sports? Did you think it was implied?

Edited by anotherback

• Alan Jones had zero to do with it...not a penny of his money will go towards turf...directly or indirectly. Contrary to popular belief, he supports the wrestling program and not much else.
  • Turf has been part of a longer-term plan that was to come in phases. Turf was included in the last phase, but the company approached CHS about putting it in and made them an offer they couldn't turn down
  • The company is in Rhea County, and had a part in Rhea's turf...but weren't the primary manufacturers or installers. The company in Rhea (I forget the name) now makes and installs sports fields and needed a "showplace" nearby.
  • One of their primary salespeople has a CHS connection. Also, the new Cleveland jetport made it easy for folks to visit and have a look.
  • The money the City School Board allocated for the turf was in the "discretionary fund" already...but wasn't earmarked for anything. Some say it was a holdover from the new city elementary school that never got built...but that still needs doing and will happen, so that doesn't make much sense.
  • Cleveland Schools are far from "rich", and spend an inordinate amount of money dealing with children below the poverty level and children who don't speak English as their first language...those numbers are exploding in the city system in comparison to the Bradley County system...so, no...to say the city system is "rich" is not close to true...they are over-crowded and under-funded.
  • CHS varsity athletics are largely funded by parents and boosters...and corporate donations to the general athletic fund. This is pretty amazing, considering the low numbers of boosters for each sport (especially football) compared to the number of players. (Last I heard, less than 50% of football parents were members of the booster club)
  • The original plan for turf was to mount a large private effort to raise the funds. That program was put on hold during the period that the new gym was being built and funded.
  • Good on CHS for finding a way... A quality turf surface will benefit more than the football team. It'll benefit the band, PE classes, track, the middle school, and the community.
  • Now...for the jumbotron.. B)

In reference to your #6. I stated that several years back about how the city was going to need to address this sooner than most thought and people told me I was crazy. I noticed it just while I would drive through different parts of the North end of the city going to and from different destinations and noticing the bus stops. Or getting behind school buses dropping off kids. Cleveland will also have to address the road situation soon. I hope some federal/state funds will become available for expanding a few major thorough fares.

1. Alan Jones had zero to do with it...not a penny of his money will go towards turf...directly or indirectly.  Contrary to popular belief, he supports the wrestling program and not much else.
  2. Turf has been part of a longer-term plan that was to come in phases.  Turf was included in the last phase, but the company approached CHS about putting it in and made them an offer they couldn't turn down
  3. The company is in Rhea County, and had a part in Rhea's turf...but weren't the primary manufacturers or installers. The company in Rhea (I forget the name) now makes and installs sports fields and needed a "showplace" nearby.
  4. One of their primary salespeople has a CHS connection.  Also, the new Cleveland jetport made it easy for folks to visit and have a look.
  5. The money the City School Board allocated for the turf was in the "discretionary fund" already...but wasn't earmarked for anything.  Some say it was a holdover from the new city elementary school that never got built...but that still needs doing and will happen, so that doesn't make much sense.
  6. Cleveland Schools are far from "rich", and spend an inordinate amount of money dealing with children below the poverty level and children who don't speak English as their first language...those numbers are exploding in the city system in comparison to the Bradley County system...so, no...to say the city system is "rich" is not close to true...they are over-crowded and under-funded.
  7. CHS varsity athletics are largely funded by parents and boosters...and corporate donations to the general athletic fund.  This is pretty amazing, considering the low numbers of boosters for each sport (especially football) compared to the number of players.   (Last I heard, less than 50% of football parents were members of the booster club)
  8. The original plan for turf was to mount a large private effort to raise the funds.  That program was put on hold during the period that the new gym was being built and funded.
  9. Good on CHS for finding a way...  A quality turf surface will benefit more than the football team.  It'll benefit the band, PE classes, track, the middle school, and the community.
  10. Now...for the jumbotron..  B)

Don't forget the indoor facility!!!

My only thinking would be injuries. Turf doesn't give if a joint or something gets twisted but grass will give a little. Other than that it's great and faster. As Cummings said most teams in 6a have turf

My kids four years on turf I know of 6 acl tears off top of my head so there may have been more. I wish it had never been invented. I hope you guys have better luck.

Well since we are putting things straight and you quoted me. I never said anything about the commission hating them except to wonder why they would. It was in response to another post that said they must hate WV for letting the turf sit there. The rest is true. I know boosters / gate / concessions/ fund raisers is where the money comes from. I heard first hand what was said about the turf and even asked someone myself why they would let it sit there. That was the answer I got. I didn't see where anyone said the Commission was anti sports? Did you think it was implied?

Well, your post had some points that went along with what I was going to address, and point to the reasons behind some of the money issues. Not pointing fingers at anything you said, really, just using it as a springboard.

You are right in that Boosters at CHS raised money, AND then School Board put money behind it too. But the school board was able to because the city commission is much more willing to raise the taxes to do more funding than the county. Not pointing fingers, just pointing out the facts. It is the political environment we live in our community.

And yes Alan Jones does a lot for local schools in more ways than just one, but you are right, his main focus is wrestling programs, particularly Cleveland's. But give credit to him for supplying transport to the High School Championships for both Cleveland High and Bradley Central.

....Some say it was a holdover from the new city elementary school that never got built...but that still needs doing and will happen, so that doesn't make much sense.

Cleveland Schools are far from "rich", and spend an inordinate amount of money dealing with children below the poverty level and children who don't speak English as their first language...those numbers are exploding in the city system in comparison to the Bradley County system...so, no...to say the city system is "rich" is not close to true...they are over-crowded and under-funded.

Oh it will get built, and help with the overcrowding, no doubt. But do remember, that part of the money is coming from the county coffers from the rebuild of Lake Forest . The County has to fund an amount equal to 1/3rd of the cost of that project to the City Schools. That has been one issue in funding the new city school because the county had to come up a way to fund that first, and they are NOT willing to raise taxes, for anything.