Cleveland gets Turf

fooseball95

Well, your post had some points that went along with what I was going to address, and point to the reasons behind some of the money issues. Not pointing fingers at anything you said, really, just using it as a springboard.

You are right in that Boosters at CHS raised money, AND then School Board put money behind it too. But the school board was able to because the city commission is much more willing to raise the taxes to do more funding than the county. Not pointing fingers, just pointing out the facts. It is the political environment we live in our community.

And yes Alan Jones does a lot for local schools in more ways than just one, but you are right, his main focus is wrestling programs, particularly Cleveland's. But give credit to him for supplying transport to the High School Championships for both Cleveland High and Bradley Central.

I realize my post might of read wrong not my intention. Just clarifying my other thoughts. Although I'm not the the one who posted in this thread about Jones, People in our community really don't understand the extent of Jones contributions. Even outside of or area he has helped out.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football has been played on artificial turf for years. And anytime you play any sport there's a chance for injuries it's part of the game.[/quote

Yep. I just remember a study where artificial turf had a higher percentage. Supposedly now it's better. Violent sport high contact and speed with big strong fast kids playing its going to have injuries by the nature. The new turf today is suppose to give more like grass and cushion if you pay for the good stuff. Do y'all remember the fiasco UTC had a few years back with theirs? Hope Cleveland gets the best available. This years team could be a pretty good one. Especially if two of the four freshman linemen can give minutes on the O Line. Let us know about their spring scrimmages. I'd like to see some.

The thing about injuries no one has nmentioned is concussions. Comming from rutherford county where we had  afew players with severe injuries and one life changing for the Bramble family. I can tell you the research I did on turf vs grass, that the head injuries caused by head to gound impact, were reduced by 87%..Lets face it some college and pro teams still use grass because it is somewhat safer, however those field is compresion tested quite often and have a full time crew who specialize in making that surface safe. . The dirt  in that playing field has been tested to have so much give and it is softer than turf, but those are few and far between n. High school we dont test it.. We have band practice on it, track meets, soccer games, rotc training, PE.... this ground can be so compacted that it is not funny. Then top it off with a frozen ground in those October, November games... not one single field in Rutherford county has turf... I envy you fellas.

Edited by Blaze45

The thing about injuries no one has nmentioned is concussions. Comming from rutherford county where we had afew players with severe injuries and one life changing for the Bramble family. I can tell you the research I did on turf vs grass, that the head injuries caused by head to gound impact, were reduced by 87%..Lets face it some college and pro teams still use grass because it is somewhat safer, however those field is compresion tested quite often and have a full time crew who specialize in making that surface safe. . The dirt in that playing field has been tested to have so much give and it is softer than turf, but those are few and far between n. High school we dont test it.. We have band practice on it, track meets, soccer games, rotc training, PE.... this ground can be so compacted that it is not funny. Then top it off with a frozen ground in those October, November games... not one single field in Rutherford county has turf... I envy you fellas.

I'm 100% with you but are you saying that Rutherford county schools have all turned down turf because it increases chance of injuries? I find that hard to believe. Me personally would rather play on grass, as a matter of fact I hate turf. I have 3 state championship rings that were played at Vanderbilt on that old school carpet turf, with one of them being played in the snow so I know how hard it is.

Edited by fooseball95

I'm 100% with you but are you saying that Rutherford county schools have all turned down turf because it increases chance of injuries? I find that hard to believe. Me personally would rather play on grass, as a matter of fact I hate turf. I have 3 state championship rings that were played at Vanderbilt on that old school carpet turf, with one of them being played in the snow so I know how hard it is.

No I wish we did have turf. We have never even brought it up as an option. Someone in this thread mentioned most of the 6a schools having turf. I just wanted to clarify Not a single 6a school in Rutherford county has it. Goes to show ya... you can please sme of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time.You can't please all of the people all of the team. 

No I wish we did have turf. We have never even brought it up as an option. Someone in this thread mentioned most of the 6a schools having turf. I just wanted to clarify Not a single 6a school in Rutherford county has it. Goes to show ya... you can please sme of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time.You can't please all of the people all of the team.

Ohok gotcha

What's the difference between old-school and the modern style turf of today.

What's the difference between old-school and the modern style turf of today.

The old school turf was a carpet with rubber backing and installed with a 3/4 inch rubber matt below that. Todays turff is is slightly taller and much more poarse. This also is now installed over pelletised rubber, which mimics the ground in a cut and go situation. You might from time to time see these pellets fly up in slow motion replays. the funnel back down through the surface and settle back into the playing field. This also helps to reduce the stress on joints you used to see with the old school surface. It was like playing on concrete.

FYI, from a quick search on the subject:

"A 2010 study looking at collegiate football injuries showed that FieldTurf may actually be safer than natural grass for injuries in general. This study also found no significant difference in knee injuries between surfaces. Another study in 2013 looked at injury rates between grass and artificial turf in female collegiate soccer players. This study actually showed a significantly lower total injury incidence rate and a lower rate of substantial injuries on FieldTurf. This study also showed no significant difference in knee injury rates between the two surfaces."