2017 D1 Players from West Tennessee

justdunkit

Main thing is, 60 percent are NAIA/D2 players. Nothing wrong with that. Shutes (2018) will play D1 ball, so will Miller from South Side (2019)

Hardaway from Bolivar(2019), Graves from Westview (2018), Moore and Darby from Greenfield (2020) Our talent is in the younger classes.

Some kids play DII by choice...Not because they had no DI offers. When it comes to girls basketball, nobody is going to the WNBA and college is normally the stopping point. Last year, only 8 kids in the whole country got on a WNBA roster. Even if you make the team, there is no huge payout unless you are like a Candice Parker. Also, the average attendance unless you are the Lady Vols or UCONN, etc, you will play in front of less than 1,000 people at an average DI game. My kid played in front of 2500+ in high school on any given night of a big game, and some even bigger. I am saying this because no one really cares about women's basketball as a whole. The main thing is to use it to go get educated. Many DII players could play DI, but choose where they are going to school because they have the right mindset. To some, it is a feather in their cap to play DI and sit on the bench for 2-4 years just to show the world they played at a DI school, but in the end...Who cares. I would rather my kid go get educated at Union University in a great atmosphere than some heck hole, underfunded low DI program any day. For most kids, they have to get a job someday, and basketball comes to an end. I would rather a kid be happy. Again... Just because the kid plays DII doesn't mean they couldn't play DI. They choose the school for a reason. You can get a free ride and full scholarship in DII just like you get in DI. My kid plays DII in a super wealthy, over the top area. She knew where she wanted to go, and committed after her sophomore year. Was recruited very hard as a freshman and sophomore by DI schools. She told me what she wanted in a school, and I left it to her to make a choice. Lots of DI talent kids choose DII bc of choice...Not bc they have to. As a parent, I don't pay a dime of anything for her to go to a $48k a year private school with the values I appreciate as well as she does.

Main thing is, 60 percent are NAIA/D2 players. Nothing wrong with that. Shutes (2018) will play D1 ball, so will Miller from South Side (2019)

Hardaway from Bolivar(2019), Graves from Westview (2018), Moore and Darby from Greenfield (2020) Our talent is in the younger classes.

You're also forgetting Gabby Crawford from Munford who will be a senior in November. Had a 20/20 game in the district championship. Recruited heavily by SEC schools.

Some kids play DII by choice...Not because they had no DI offers. When it comes to girls basketball, nobody is going to the WNBA and college is normally the stopping point. Last year, only 8 kids in the whole country got on a WNBA roster. Even if you make the team, there is no huge payout unless you are like a Candice Parker. Also, the average attendance unless you are the Lady Vols or UCONN, etc, you will play in front of less than 1,000 people at an average DI game. My kid played in front of 2500+ in high school on any given night of a big game, and some even bigger. I am saying this because no one really cares about women's basketball as a whole. The main thing is to use it to go get educated. Many DII players could play DI, but choose where they are going to school because they have the right mindset. To some, it is a feather in their cap to play DI, but in the end...Who cares. I would rather my kid go get educated at Union University in a great atmosphere than some heck hole, underfunded low DI program any day. For most kids, they have to get a job someday, and basketball comes to an end. I would rather a kid be happy. Again... Just because the kid plays DII doesn't mean they couldn't play DI. They choose the school for a reason. You can get a free ride and full scholarship in DII just like you get in DI. My kid plays DII in a super wealthy, over the top area. She knew where she wanted to go, and committed after her sophomore year. Was recruited very hard as a freshman and sophomore by DI schools. She told me what she wanted in a school, and I left it to her to make a choice. Lots of DI talent kids choose DII bc of choice...Not bc they have to. As a parent, I don't pay a dime of anything for her to go to a $48k a year private school with the values I appreciate as well as she does.

Not close...exactly on point if the kid's head is in the right place. Yes, it sounds good to say "DI" but for the long haul choosing the best mix of quality of basketball program, synchronization of career choice and school prestige, and where you will be happiest attending matters much more than what conference your school of choice is aligned with. Not many Maya Moore type players out there, where the choice stands to further a career in sports. 

Some kids play DII by choice...Not because they had no DI offers. When it comes to girls basketball, nobody is going to the WNBA and college is normally the stopping point. Last year, only 8 kids in the whole country got on a WNBA roster. Even if you make the team, there is no huge payout unless you are like a Candice Parker. Also, the average attendance unless you are the Lady Vols or UCONN, etc, you will play in front of less than 1,000 people at an average DI game. My kid played in front of 2500+ in high school on any given night of a big game, and some even bigger. I am saying this because no one really cares about women's basketball as a whole. The main thing is to use it to go get educated. Many DII players could play DI, but choose where they are going to school because they have the right mindset. To some, it is a feather in their cap to play DI, but in the end...Who cares. I would rather my kid go get educated at Union University in a great atmosphere than some heck hole, underfunded low DI program any day. For most kids, they have to get a job someday, and basketball comes to an end. I would rather a kid be happy. Again... Just because the kid plays DII doesn't mean they couldn't play DI. They choose the school for a reason. You can get a free ride and full scholarship in DII just like you get in DI. My kid plays DII in a super wealthy, over the top area. She knew where she wanted to go, and committed after her sophomore year. Was recruited very hard as a freshman and sophomore by DI schools. She told me what she wanted in a school, and I left it to her to make a choice. Lots of DI talent kids choose DII bc of choice...Not bc they have to. As a parent, I don't pay a dime of anything for her to go to a $48k a year private school with the values I appreciate as well as she does.

Well said and I agree 100%.  I disagree with dmm88 on 2017 being a weak senior class, however.  There were tons of seniors that will be sorely missed by their programs.  There were very few D1 commits for sure, but there was a large quantity of quality players in the 2017 class.

2017 was a weak senior class. The local standouts: Pratt(CC), Bromley(LEX), Cunningham(SS), Keith(HUNT), Pearson(BRU) and the others I didn't name are either headed for NAIA schools or Division 2 schools.

Why call kids out by name? They were evidently pretty good for you to call them standouts and separate them, and didn't deserve to be identified just for your "not good enough" list.

NAIA, D2, D1, it is all basketball, size and speed are the factors that eliminate many very good high school ball players.   5'5" shooting guards that are really good in high school, are not going to get a sniff by D1 coaches unless they can handle the ball really well, defend extremely well, and shoot lights out.  A 5'10" dominant high school post player is not going to make it in D1 as a post player.   There is no shame in playing small college basketball.