2017 D1 Players from West Tennessee

justdunkit

Okay the biggest recruitment mystery in West TN: Tasia Jones from Westview. I love the kid. Tough, a competitor, and she wins point blank. BUT she's severely undersized at her position, not quick enough to defend athletic point guards. And worst of all, she's not a person you have to respect offensively because she can't shoot. So what's her level now??? Two years ago when she was playing at a high level, I thought a good D2 program. Now I still think D2 is a possibility but a NAIA should get in and offer now. The ACL really set her back a year.

No mystery at all. Most interested schools will probably sit back and take a wait & see approach now b/c of the ACL injury. Tasia actually has a nice jumpshot but most high school guards can't keep her out of the lane so she rarely has to take shots. Just drive and feed the bigs and shooters. A few D1s have still shown interests, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing NAIA or D2 ( even D3 ). The goal is a free education. I wish her well and hope she has a big senior season.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 22, 2017 at 2:40 AM, cradle2thegravelakersfan said:

No mystery at all. Most interested schools will probably sit back and take a wait & see approach now b/c of the ACL injury. Tasia actually has a nice jumpshot but most high school guards can't keep her out of the lane so she rarely has to take shots. Just drive and feed the bigs and shooters. A few D1s have still shown interests, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing NAIA or D2 ( even D3 ). The goal is a free education. I wish her well and hope she has a big senior season.

You're wrong, or you have a totally different vision. I always tell kids that "go where your heart is" and not worry about the money when it comes to choosing a university to attend for the next four years. I know somebody that turned down a full ride to be in the band at UTM just to be in The Pride at Knoxville, which she got a $300 dollar scholarship at best. If you're telling kids 'it's all about the money' then you're putting pressure in them to find the cheapest place to go. Just my $.02

20 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

You're wrong, or you have a totally different vision. I always tell kids that "go where your heart is" and not worry about the money when it comes to choosing a university to attend for the next four years. I know somebody that turned down a full ride to be in the band at UTM just to be in The Pride at Knoxville, which she got a $300 dollar scholarship at best. If you're telling kids 'it's all about the money' then you're putting pressure in them to find the cheapest place to go. Just my $.02

Well TryNotToSuck when it comes to your $.02, buddy you suck !! I simply gave my opinion, so no I'm not wrong. Just say you "disagree", everyone has an opinion and it may not match yours. I would never tell a kid to "go where your heart is and not worry about the money" because someone has to pay for tuition. Maybe the kids heart is at "school A", but mom & dad can't afford it and "school B" is offering a full scholarship. I don't know about your math, but 2+2=4 at "school B" just like it does at "school A" my friend. It would be nice if everyone could attend their dream university but that's not reality. I'm not pressuring anyone to find the cheapest place to go, but at the same time no one wants to be forty-five years old and still paying off that $120,000 student loan !! I'm almost positive some of the athletes at Bethel University had hopes of attending their dream schools, but Bethel gave them the best options so that's where they decided to get an education. "Going where your heart is" isn't always a option.

More local kids need to do actual research. Look at a team's roster. Compare big school A against small school B. Big school A (D1) is gonna sell you on the history and the chance to be on a great team. That's good, until you get there and see reality that you probably won't play, plus your scholarship isn't what you thought it was. Small school B (D2/NAIA) has little depth at your position, a chance for you to play right away and a full-ride paying NO money back after you graduate. But kids will pick Big School A because it looks good to people around them. And that needs to stop.

Edited by dmm88

• 2 weeks later...

Haywood's Jamirah Shutes is finally off the board. Commited to Memphis early this evening. I actually called this last September. She's very close with her family, plus Memphis got first in-home visit and they badly need a guard that can create their own offense and they have it. Congratulations to her. Well deserved kid.

Edited by dmm88

Couple of kids left to decide:

Tasia Jones (Westview) think she signs in the spring

Savannah Lee (TCA)

Stacie Mayberry (Peabody)

Sha'kiya Crumble (Lake County) she's gonna be a steal for a NAIA/JUCO late

Xandrea Moore (Milan) Schools are showing interest

Sequoya Warren (Middleton)

Tyra Smith (Middleton)

Samariah Thompson (Dyersburg) She's the most talented of this group. Because of the ACL, think a D1 comes in late April-May. If not D2's will be very happy.

Amaria Pugh (Dyer County)

Pretty sure it's some more I left out.

Edited by dmm88

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 11:10 AM, dmm88 said:

Savannah Lee (TCA)

Tyra Smith (Middleton)

Samariah Thompson (Dyersburg) She's the most talented of this group. Because of the ACL, think a D1 comes in late April-May. If not D2's will be very happy.

This is a solid group of players. I think Tasia is the most talented,  with X. Moore not far behind. The 2018s have a bit of everything. 

Size - DeJa Graves ( Westview ), Savannah Lee ( TCA ), Xandrea Moore ( Milan )

Speed - Tasia Jones ( Westview ), Samariah Thompson ( Dyersburg )

Several teams have good perimeter shooters. Eight weeks to go !

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, dmm88 said:

Savannah Lee (TCA)

Tyra Smith (Middleton)

Is Mayberry a senior this year?   I thought she graduated last year?