High school baseball season change

TheManiac

I played high school baseball in Tennessee. I have always thought a change to a summer schedule would be beneficial. A lot of northern states do this. My wife is from Iowa, high school baseball is played in late may to July months there. This would hurt summer travel teams but, only if the travel teams played on weekends and school ball during the week. It's very difficult playing a high school schedule starting in March. Weather is so unpredictable. I honestly feel like a move to summer months would be way more beneficial.

I would say this would kill High School Baseball. The top players would play with their Summer Showcase teams and not with their high school. It would be a very bad decision to play both especially for a kid that pitches because he would pitch during the week, then the weekend and turn around and pitch again right after the weekend.

I played high school baseball in Tennessee. I have always thought a change to a summer schedule would be beneficial. A lot of northern states do this. My wife is from Iowa, high school baseball is played in late may to July months there. This would hurt summer travel teams but, only if the travel teams played on weekends and school ball during the week. It's very difficult playing a high school schedule starting in March. Weather is so unpredictable. I honestly feel like a move to summer months would be way more beneficial.

Nice idea, but it's a bad idea. I thought it is a great idea to get all the sporting events from the start of the school year, to the end with spring fling happening before Memorial Day. I think the sports calendar should stay as it is. Yes, they're going to be days a baseball game is going to be played in 45 degree weather and will be at 40 degrees when the final out happens. Just like there are football games while the temperatures are in the low 90's in August and early September. Yes, the majority of the state have seen some sort of snow today, but to the teams that tarped their field, will have the opportunity to play on Monday, while the ones that didn't, would have to wait and see.

Why change it?

• 2 weeks later...

There really isn't a great solution. Small 1A schools like GB start 8-9 football players on the baseball team with only 2 non football varsity players on the roster. They couldn't play baseball in June and July with football conditioning along with hitting some basketball camps in June. There just isn't enough months in the year to get it all in. You just have to invest in a tarp and be ready to work the field all season and make the best of it.

• 5 weeks later...

There really isn't a great solution. Small 1A schools like GB start 8-9 football players on the baseball team with only 2 non football varsity players on the roster. They couldn't play baseball in June and July with football conditioning along with hitting some basketball camps in June. There just isn't enough months in the year to get it all in. You just have to invest in a tarp and be ready to work the field all season and make the best of it.

The best solution is to make the dead period run from Memorial Day to Labor Day in my opinion.  My tongue is only partially in cheek.  I understand preseason football practices and conditioning are necessary the latter part of July and in August.  Still every year you see kids that have summer jobs or other commitments start football practice when school starts.  If the smaller schools like the one my kids have attended won't share their athletes in a responsible manner, then let the kids decide between AAU basketball, travel baseball and 7 on 7 football camps in the summer and take the high school coaches completely out of it.  If you're going to be seen, it will be in the summer time for non school related teams.  For football its at camps, for baseball and basketball it's at their summer tournaments.  Basketball camps are fundraisers for the hosts.  There's nothing that happens in June that can't happen in October for the multi sport kid that has options in the summer.

Edited by ksgovols