What needs to happen? TSSAA

Gerry Bertier

It's called 50 percent rule which is 3 basketball and 5 baseball and softball etc. but if you look up the rule, I believe it only applies during school year doesn't apply after school is out for summer. For instance if you play in a tournament in July and school starts in August you're good but can't play after school starts with more than 3.

It just shows you where the TSSAA currently stands and how much of a joke our state association is. First of all, the TSSAA have a lot of similarities with the NCAA. TSSAA would not be able to make some sort of profit, therefore, they are not sending these teams (including Riverdale girls) to national tournaments across our great country. 

The TSSAA has missed the purpose of High School sports. I want to see high school athletes across our amazing state enjoy playing the sport he/she grew up playing, playing with many friends as teammates and against friends from schools just down the street, which most of that still applies. The common goal for a High School athlete is to win a state tournament, work hard for the opportunity to get a scholarship and play at the collegiate level, and tell stories to friends, family, and their future kid(s).

I brought up similarity with the NCAA because coaches can leave schools and join another school just down the street without any punish. However, kids are being investigated by the TSSAA for transferring (where'd you transfer from, why did you transfer, etc.) for no reason at all. I hate for these kids because this 'system' has flaws and will continuously have flaws.

I don't know how much profit the TSSAA makes per school year, but I've always wonder where does that money go to? All the money they make from football and basketball, where does that money go to and what's the purpose of the money? I've always wondered that, just haven't received an answer.

I feel bad for Memphis East, it's a great opportunity for those boys to play at a state (don't know if they're playing at New York City, just know they're playing at New York) that some of them will probably never visit, it is a great opportunity for them to play at the national level and get recruited by other elite schools across the country on national television, it is an opportunity for those young men to tell their future kids that "I played a basketball tournament against this dude in New York, and now he is in the NBA" or something that relates to that.

Instead, these boys will continue to win AAA state championships until Penny has had enough and decide to coach somewhere else. Their game against East Hamilton was not even close from the tip.

But with this and screwing up Middleton in the new region alignment in football (using Middleton as one example knowing there are more schools) just shows us how bad the TSSAA really is and how  unthoughtful they are about decision making.

Money takes a backseat in situation like these, memories and experiences out weigh the money by a lot.

Edited by TryNotToSuck

You are 100 percent correct with one exception, money should take a backseat but never will with TSSAA. It should be up to the individual schools and parents of the players whether they can play or not. If the schools can work it out with their classes and parents are on board then they should be able to play.

Childress said a comment would come out about the decision after an official comment from East. Has anyone seen that comment and explanation of the decision that was made? I have no dog in this fight. I find "the man" having too much power in high school sports an interesting, but frustrating topic.

I 100% agree this should be allowed....ONE post season tourney after the conclusion of the state tourney per school. The experience these kids would get might be the only times in their lives they get to see some of the incredible things this country has to offer (visiting NYC, DC, Vegas, FL or wherever) and the exposure to potentially furthering their education by getting in front of college scouts while still protected from unsavory vultures by their high school coaches, is worth more than any lame outdated bylaws excuse TSSAA can possibly come up with in denying this opportunity. Have some gumption, make an exec decision for the kids and get on with important things. Either TSSAA is for the kids, or they are against them. Right now, it looks like against.

• Upvote 1

Childress said a comment would come out about the decision after an official comment from East. Has anyone seen that comment and explanation of the decision that was made? I have no dog in this fight. I find "the man" having too much power in high school sports an interesting, but frustrating topic.

I 100% agree this should be allowed....ONE post season tourney after the conclusion of the state tourney per school. The experience these kids would get might be the only times in their lives they get to see some of the incredible things this country has to offer (visiting NYC, DC, Vegas, FL or wherever) and the exposure to potentially furthering their education by getting in front of college scouts while still protected from unsavory vultures by their high school coaches, is worth more than any lame outdated bylaws excuse TSSAA can possibly come up with in denying this opportunity. Have some gumption, make an exec decision for the kids and get on with important things. Either TSSAA is for the kids, or they are against them. Right now, it looks like against.

+1

I always try and see things from the alternate perspective before being too critical, but I can't figure their (TSSAA) stance on this one. I see no legitimate reason for this...it's an incredible opportunity for these kids, both in the here and now, and for the possibilities for the kids future.

Plus it makes TSSAA look good if a team from there association does well in a national invitational tourney, in turn bringing more money in for the next years state tourney. It's a shame because East boys and Riverdale girls are both extremely talented this year and have a legitimate chance of making noise in a national "Invitational" tourney against the other top teams in the nation.

Edited by TheTruthHurts22