GETTING YOUR SON LOOKED AT BY COLLEGES

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On college campus camps are the best way.  But be realistic.  At his size he isn't going to be a D1 prospect.  Pick the smaller schools (D2, D3, NAIA) that your son would be interested in attending, go to their website and see when they have camps (usually in May or June) and register.  Also fill out the recruiting questionnaire on their websites and wait to get a response.  If you don't get one soon, if you have a high school coach who is helpful ask him to call the coaches at the schools you are interested in.

But like I said - be realistic in the schools you contact and camp at.  

Do not under any circumstances contract with a "recruiting service".  They don't give scholarship money, and they do nothing that you can do yourself with just a little effort. It's better to take that money you would spend on a recruiting service and put it in the bank to help pay for his college expenses.  And remember that at smaller schools the chances of getting a full ride is pretty much nil.  A half ride at most of those schools is pretty much the max, and a large majority of football schollys aren't even half rides.  He can also get academic money if his grades/ACT/SAT are good, so emphasize to him how important it is to hit the books.  

Edited by HTV

Amen to everything posted above. The one thing we found out is; if he wants to play college ball there is a school he can play at. Keep expectations realistic and hit all the camps you can. It's amazing to see what the D1 prospects look like against most of the other players on the field (no knock at all against the other kids). There is good and then there is D1. Different animal.

Everything that has been printed above is spot on.  All colleges have a box and that box is by position...height, weight, speed.  As a college coach for 15 years, I always felt that college coaches never looked outside the box except on rare instances.  Your son can play at some school.  Now being realistic, can he play at UT, ALA, Clemson, probably not going to be recruited and offered a full ride, but have been instances where his size has been overlooked because he is the best at his position.  Don't remember the young man's name but Tenn. signed an center from Killeen, Tx. back in the 90's because he was the "best" they had ever seen.  Left after 1 year and went to SFA, I think.

Be realistic and don't rule any school out, because the one you eliminate, might be the only one at the end of the day, that really wants your son to play for them.

Good luck and tell your son to keep working in the classroom, weight room and on the field.

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET YOUR SON LOOKED AT BY COLLEGES. HE IS GOING TO BE A SENIOR NEXT IN THE 2017 SEASON AND HE IS SOMETHING LIKE 5 FOOT 11 PLAYS ON THE OFFENSE AND DEFENSE LINE. BENCHES 375 SQUATS OVER 500 POWER CLEANS LIKE 275. I WOULD LOVE SOME POINTER'S. ANYTHING YALL HAVE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECATED.

Your son and mine are almost identical.Mine also ran a 5.1.He was recruited by and signed with Carson Newman,Tusculum was in the mix hard and a ton od NAIA and D3 schools from out of state.He never went to one camp!If your boy can play and I mean at that size he has to be a good one (mine was an all state Dtackle).As most have stated someone will come knocking.The bad part about it (if you call it bad) is D3 and D2 don't give athletic scholarships academic only.Now they will do some fudging if he is good enough and I'm sure if he is a STUD then magic funds will appear,but for us ave Joes he better have a great act and a high GPA or he will be in debt along time to just play ball.Mine (3.8 and a 25 act) figured that out after signing and applying for the funds ended up he just didn't want to play anymore but the loans stay with you!Big desicions to make.

Your son and mine are almost identical.Mine also ran a 5.1.He was recruited by and signed with Carson Newman,Tusculum was in the mix hard and a ton od NAIA and D3 schools from out of state.He never went to one camp!If your boy can play and I mean at that size he has to be a good one (mine was an all state Dtackle).As most have stated someone will come knocking.The bad part about it (if you call it bad) is D3 and D2 don't give athletic scholarships academic only.Now they will do some fudging if he is good enough and I'm sure if he is a STUD then magic funds will appear,but for us ave Joes he better have a great act and a high GPA or he will be in debt along time to just play ball.Mine (3.8 and a 25 act) figured that out after signing and applying for the funds ended up he just didn't want to play anymore but the loans stay with you!Big desicions to make.

D2 does give athletic based scholarships, but they are limited to, and I think this is correct, around 30 total schollys for football.  

D3 schools are not allowed to give athletic scholarships - based on academics and need based on family financial situation. 

D2 does give athletic based scholarships, but they are limited to, and I think this is correct, around 30 total schollys for football.

D3 schools are not allowed to give athletic scholarships - based on academics and need based on family financial situation.

I wondered why they told us that after I saw a kid who played for Texas who transferred in.I know he didn't get a full academic but he was 6'6 280! Edited by orngnblk

• 2 weeks later...

go to all the camps he can get.  its good for him to see whats out there also some of the camps can really help him get some training on things he wont get on the high school level.  tell him to not aim low because of his size. he may still be growing. tell him him to shoot for the moon and he will land in the stars.  Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Use video! Shoot skills video of your son. And post it to YouTube. Attach that link to emails you send to coaches. College coaches receive hundreds of contacts, so you need to make it easy for them to check out what your son can do. Do some research online to see exactly which skills coaches are looking for. I'm speaking from experience here.