New East Transfer

warmachine7954

kwc,  I just don't understand the mindset of allowing what is wrong to go on.   Civic, social, and professional responsibility has fallen by the wayside, and allows what can only be called corruption of the process, not just in this setting but in society in general.  Granted this is from a WASP perspective.    

Edited by Dragonmaster

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kwc,  I just don't understand the mindset of allowing what is wrong to go on.   Civic, social, and professional responsibility has fallen by the wayside, and allows what can only be called corruption of the process, not just in this setting but in society in general.  Granted this is from a WASP perspective.    

I understand where you are coming from but the reality is if you are a coach present day, you better understand and be able to flow with the current culture, if you want to succeed. There are still way too many positives and teaching moments to be had then to get bogged down with the minutia of proper protocol and regulations. Transfers operate mainly between two different schools. If the school that is losing the player doesn't have an issue ... there is no issue. If a player leaves a school and the school reports things, it comes off as sour grapes and the coach who reports it will be blackballed in the coaching community. Folks talk. Next thing you know .... no parent of any player of any consequence will want to be a part of your program. The parent network is the strongest thing about this. Parents want to have options and they don't want coaches closing doors because Johnny doesn't want to play for that coach any more. That is really the crux of the issue. As a coach, you don't want that reputation. Maybe you DO want that reputation. It will limit who will come to play on your team. Some parents, but not all, will start to avoid that coach and program, like the plague.

Edited by kwc

KWC that is the culture. I have been wrong in not turning kids in who transfer. What is crazy is that when a kid moves into our district and plays everybody says Mitchell is recruiting. In my 20 years az an administrator I would never approve of a coach seeking another player to leave and come play for Mitchell. On the other hand many parents moved into our district because of our record of getting kids in college. We have lost kids to other schools because tbey want to play and some because Our coaches are very strict and tbey could not handle the structure and disclipine. I have never and will not ever turn in a kid. That hurts the kid too much.

If you allow a kid to transfer to your school and there a circumstances that are suspect in that transfer,  that athlete will take the place of another kid.  Are you doing right by the replaced kid.   There are always people who are hurt by the change.  You can justify it by situational ethics all you want.  There are some kids that don't get to play because you allow the transfer.  You look at the situation where this kid just left.   There were many non-district kids on team that are transferring out and what do they have to replace them.   Additionally, you believe that there won't be a stink about this when it gets to the season.   My let them play 20 games and then complain.  It has happened before.   i.e. Hamilton 

If you allow a kid to transfer to your school and there a circumstances that are suspect in that transfer,  that athlete will take the place of another kid.  Are you doing right by the replaced kid.   There are always people who are hurt by the change.  You can justify it by situational ethics all you want.  There are some kids that don't get to play because you allow the transfer.  You look at the situation where this kid just left.   There were many non-district kids on team that are transferring out and what do they have to replace them.   Additionally, you believe that there won't be a stink about this when it gets to the season.   My let them play 20 games and then complain.  It has happened before.   i.e. Hamilton 

If a young man or woman transfers to your school and their circumstances seem suspect then you run the transfer through the TSSAA office, as you should, and you report to them everything that you can actually verify. If they have any additional questions, then you address them accordingly. If the TSSAA approves the transfer, then you proceed from there. THAT's how you handle that situation. If the TSSAA approves the transfer, then everything was done with their blessing. If they don't approve the transfer, then you don't play them. 

This should be every coach's philosophy when dealing with transfers. Vet it through the TSSAA before they step foot on your playing field/court. Even the mundane. What you don't want is to have what was to be considered a non issue turn into something that could have been avoided in the first place.

On another note:

I'm always a 'play the best player' type of guy. If a transfer comes in and that person is a better player then another player in a certain position then the better player should play. Period. I know at Whitehaven, there is no seniority when it comes to who starts and who comes off the bench. Every position is an open competition. You put your best players on the field/floor. It happens. That's why at Whitehaven, with the number of student athletes they have, you can still look at the roster and see sophomores and even freshman getting substantial playing time, if not starting out right. That's life. Yeah, transfers happen. However, everyone earns their position and everyone gets an opportunity. As long as the replaced guy/girl gets a fair shot, then yes, you did right by them.

Whitehaven has seniors that don't get off of the bench for whatever reason. It happens every year. This doesn't just happen at Whitehaven either. I'm sure if a transfer comes in and takes a position from somebody, then that player is just going to have to work harder, The coach isn't obligated to play anyone. As long as there is open competition ... anyone can lose a starting position. Time served doesn't guarantee anything. It's why you grind during the off season. Even with that ... some folks are just plain better then others. The best play. It should always be that way.

That has NOTHING to do with accepting transfers. 

Edited by kwc

kwc,

I was coming from the recruiting athlete standpoint and you know as well as I do that there are cases where the coach is left to  gather info and they don't do a complete job or manipulate what they give administration.  You can't go live with an relative (without a one-time guardianship change) or just rent an apartment (without selling old residence), live with a friend, or the myriad other ways the system is manipulated within the metro area.  I am not just talking about city schools.  ETHICS are on a decline and ADULTS are not ACTING like RESPONSIBLE ADULTS.  Not directed at you, just a general comment.

kwc,

I was coming from the recruiting athlete standpoint and you know as well as I do that there are cases where the coach is left to  gather info and they don't do a complete job or manipulate what they give administration.  You can't go live with an relative (without a one-time guardianship change) or just rent an apartment (without selling old residence), live with a friend, or the myriad other ways the system is manipulated within the metro area.  I am not just talking about city schools.  ETHICS are on a decline and ADULTS are not ACTING like RESPONSIBLE ADULTS.  Not directed at you, just a general comment.

This is the issue I have too.

If a parent is willing to pick up and move (either buy or rent) a new place in a school's district that they want their kid to go to then that's fine. It doesn't matter if it's for sports or academics. If it's legal then do what helps you.

However, we all know that many people never move and use a relative's or friend's address. There are and have been ways to get around the eligibility issue and people have exhausted them. Now it's not so much high school coaches recruiting like it used to be a few years ago. (by the way, a high school coach literally called one of our players and took him out to dinner over this past summer) The AAU coaches are guiding kids to schools. That is indirect recruiting and there are no rules about it. 

Every other day one of my players tell me how another coach or AAU coach is calling him or his parents and asking them to come play at their school. During the season I would see the other team's coach talking to some of our players only to find out they were, right there in front of everyone, asking our guys if they would come play for them. 

It is wrong to lie no matter how much it helps a kid. It is wrong to falsify documents no matter how much it helps a kid. It is wrong for adults to encourage it no matter how much it helps a kid. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Olive Branch's Cooper back on the rise

When East and Olive Branch took the floor to face another last week in Olive Branch, it didn’t feel like a typical summer league game. Elite talent littered the court, with Olive Branch’s D.J. Jeffries and East’s entire starting lineup drawing attention from some of the biggest college basketball teams in the country.

But then Olive Branch played two-time defending Tennessee AAA state champion East to a virtual stalemate, with East winning on a free throw by point guard Alex Lomax during a sudden death overtime, and it became clear the Conquistadors are much more than a one-player show.

In addition to Jeffries, who is ranked No. 7 nationally in the 2019 class by Scout, perhaps the most noteworthy prospect right now is junior Joe Cooper.

The son of former Memphis sharpshooter Rodney Newsom was considered one of the nation’s top point guards coming out of middle school, but saw his development stall in recent years. Injuries, including a fractured knee as a freshman and a broken hand that forced him to miss the April evaluation period, were the primary culprit.

“We got a lot of attention because he was one of the best shooters at Memphis, so everywhere we went, people knew who we were,” Cooper said. “I dealt with a lot of injuries, so I haven’t been able to play. But now, everything is getting back on track.”

The 6-foot junior always had superior vision and a rugged style driving the lane, but admits his defense and shooting remain areas where he can improve. He will play for the Adidas-sponsored Atlanta Celtics next month hoping to expand a scholarship list that includes Middle Tennessee State, Southern Miss, Tennessee-Martin and Winthrop. Cooper said Memphis, Ole Miss, Florida and Stanford are also showing interest and recently took an unofficial visit to Southern Miss.

It was a good sign then that Cooper didn’t look overmatched going toe-to-toe with Lomax, the two-time defending Class AAA Mr. Basketball. Along with Jeffries, sophomore Cameron Matthews and a strong nucleus of emerging prospects, Olive Branch appears ready to make a run at a Mississippi state title.

Lomax “is one of the best point guards I’ve ever played, so it was fun,” Cooper said. “And in front of Penny (Hardaway), who’s like a legend, it was real good. We learned we can play with anyone in the country and we’re just as good as anybody really.”

Memphis East center Malcolm Dandridge, right, fouls

Memphis East center Malcolm Dandridge, right, fouls Southwind forward Kameron Jones (23) during the first half of the Tennessee Division I AAA boys' high school basketball championship game Saturday, March 18, 2017, in Murfreesboro, Tenn. (AP Photo/Mark Zaleski) (Photo: Mark Zaleski, AP)

From the Commercial Appeal, June 26, 2017

Edited by kwc