Is Honesty and Integrity a thing of the past with coaches?

Is expecting a coach to be truthful during the hiring process a thing of the past or is it just a sign of the times? When Administrators stand up for a coach and he promises to not do a specific thing and then does exactly that, is that not wrong in today's world? Honor and decency used to be expected in a profession that was so involved with shaping young people's minds and character, is this lost in the name of what's in it for me? There is nothing wrong with making business decisions to better ones financial situation, but there used to be a right way and a wrong way to do so. I am old school, were your word is your bond, nowadays it appears that this is the exception and not the rule. Just wanting to get a feel for the degradation of values in today's society. Or is it totally acceptable to say whatever you think the Boss wants to hear to get the job? What are peoples thoughts?

I don't think so at all.  If an administrator tells a coach " we want you to be our coach"  3 years later is that administrator showing a lack of integrity to say, we no longer want you to be our coach?   Is it being dishonest if a coach is says he wants to stay when there is not an offer on the table, and  then his phone rings with an awesome opportunity and he changes his mind?   Is it a lack of integrity for a coach to enjoy building programs?    Some people are driven by different things, that is not a lack of integrity.  Some coaches really love a new challenge.   Coaches can change their mind just like a parent who loves a coach until their child isn't playing as much can change their mind.

I don't think so at all.  If an administrator tells a coach " we want you to be our coach"  3 years later is that administrator showing a lack of integrity to say, we no longer want you to be our coach?   Is it being dishonest if a coach is says he wants to stay when there is not an offer on the table, and  then his phone rings with an awesome opportunity and he changes his mind?   Is it a lack of integrity for a coach to enjoy building programs?    Some people are driven by different things, that is not a lack of integrity.  Some coaches really love a new challenge.   Coaches can change their mind just like a parent who loves a coach until their child isn't playing as much can change their mind.

Well said, sir!

What about during the hiring process, the coach promises that he will stay at a certain program if he is hired? Just in general, I agree they are free to make a decision to go where it is best for them and their families, but when you promise that you will stay with them and then leave, is that deemed to be acceptable?

What about during the hiring process, the coach promises that he will stay at a certain program if he is hired? Just in general, I agree they are free to make a decision to go where it is best for them and their families, but when you promise that you will stay with them and then leave, is that deemed to be acceptable?

Is it acceptable for a school to offer a job to someone and after a period of time, take it away?   A pendulum swings both ways.  How long are you talking,  I assume from your other post that it is about coach Wild,   if a person excepts a job and says they will stay, is it a lack of integrity to leave after 3 years, if so, then it must be a lack of integrity to leave after 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 etc....   I am not sure what you do for a living, but high school coaches sign 1 year contracts, school can terminate when it chooses, so why should a coach not have the same option.   If said coach, said he would like to stay for a long time, and maybe something happened where he was not happy there, should he not have the option to pursue happiness?   Although you seem upset by a coach leaving, does his/her happiness need to come second to yours?

Being specific, if you say I promise I won't leave after just 2 to 3 years, then leave after your third year, then that is fine? After you promise a dad, less than 2 weeks prior to your announcement, that you are not going anywhere so his daughter will come play at that school, after a family buys a home in your district so their daughter can play for you? I have a hard time understanding the thinking! I know any coach has the right to do what he/she thinks is best for them, but there will always be a right way and a wrong way to things. I don't believe this way was handled correctly!

Being specific, if you say I promise I won't leave after just 2 to 3 years, then leave after your third year, then that is fine? After you promise a dad, less than 2 weeks prior to your announcement, that you are not going anywhere so his daughter will come play at that school, after a family buys a home in your district so their daughter can play for you? I have a hard time understanding the thinking! I know any coach has the right to do what he/she thinks is best for them, but there will always be a right way and a wrong way to things. I don't believe this way was handled correctly!

Had no business talking to a parent in the first place if they were not attending the school.

This said coach has "Good timed Charlied" around for several years.  Just look at his tenure for the past 10-12 yrs.  Family Ba humbug.  He moved to Wilson Central because of family what's the reason now. Going to where he sees good players coming up etc..  And that's all I have to say about that. (Forrest Gump)!!!!!!!!!!

As a parent....and a coach.....I do take issue with a head coach having conversations with returning players concerning his/her intent from year to year if they plan to jump ship. If a coach is leaving but does not want to discuss his plans, then don't even entertain the topic, don't hold meetings with returning players, and certainly do not attempt to hide the fact you are leaving by openly proclaiming that you will be back. In situations I have witnessed, the coach was planning to bolt at a certain time, or following a certain group, and would adamantly deny intentions, even when all parties knew the truth.

I also take issue with removal of coaches on a whim, when it isn't warranted. I have witnessed on more than one occasion where players and parents fully expected a coach to be returning and the coach is removed with little/no warning nor justification.