Ads affecting message boards

Friday afternoon I talked with a tech support person from Charter Spectrum, one of the companies whose names are used in these Coach T pop-up ads. He told me that his company was definitely not behind these ads and that he thought Coach T had a Trojan Horse embedded which was trying to get people to sign up giving personal information to "win" these promised $1000 gift cards.

This morning I was very pleased to be able to read all the threads about the Maryville / Cane Ridge game without a single one of these ads popping up! I was so happy that you had been able to De-bug your system until just now at 8pm I opened page 28 of the "Cain Ridge vs. Mairvul" thread and yet two more of these pop-up ads happened. 

Could a Trojan Horse virus possibly be associated with comments from someone who frequents Maryville threads? No pop-ups occurred when I read the Catholic / Beech thread.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Friday afternoon I talked with a tech support person from Charter Spectrum, one of the companies whose names are used in these Coach T pop-up ads. He told me that his company was definitely not behind these ads and that he thought Coach T had a Trojan Horse embedded which was trying to get people to sign up giving personal information to "win" these promised $1000 gift cards.

This morning I was very pleased to be able to read all the threads about the Maryville / Cane Ridge game without a single one of these ads popping up! I was so happy that you had been able to De-bug your system until just now at 8pm I opened page 28 of the "Cain Ridge vs. Mairvul" thread and yet two more of these pop-up ads happened. 

Could a Trojan Horse virus possibly be associated with comments from someone who frequents Maryville threads? No pop-ups occurred when I read the Catholic / Beech thread.

No, no trojan horse. We have tracked it to a single advertising network and three different domains that are serving ads. We had to turn all ads back on in order to track them down. That is why reappeared. We have contacted everyone involved and we are awaiting their response.

Update: we have turned off all ads from certain companies. To give you an idea how this works: we contracted with a well-known, longtime internet company to run their surplus ads. They in turn run ads for third parties. When you get a bad ad it then becomes very hard to track it down because it comes from a company you are not familiar with but served through a company you know.

Why not turn them all off? Because then we would no longer be able to afford to run this site and everyone would suffer. Just know that iamoz is doing everything he can to track these down and inform everyone involved where these bad ads are coming from.

• 8 months later...