Region 3 5A 2017

92Dragon

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On paper, I would expect Fulton, Oak Ridge, and West to battle for 1, 2, and 3 and the 4th playoff spot to come from either Campbell County or Clinton.  

Just don't see Karns or Powell being back to playoff contention yet.  

On paper, I would expect Fulton, Oak Ridge, and West to battle for 1, 2, and 3 and the 4th playoff spot to come from either Campbell County or Clinton.

Just don't see Karns or Powell being back to playoff contention yet.

I'm thinking Fulton or Oak Ridge will win the region. West should finish 3rd. Powell is getting better. Campbell County should be a solid team with the coaching staff they have. Karns has a couple of pretty good skill players, but usually struggle in the trenches. Clinton has some big boys on the line, but don't have the skill players they had in years past. If I had to pick it right now, it would look like this

Fulton

Oak Ridge

West

Campbell County

Clinton

Powell

Karns

I'm thinking Fulton or Oak Ridge will win the region. West should finish 3rd. Powell is getting better. Campbell County should be a solid team with the coaching staff they have. Karns has a couple of pretty good skill players, but usually struggle in the trenches. Clinton has some big boys on the line, but don't have the skill players they had in years past. If I had to pick it right now, it would look like this

Fulton

Oak Ridge

West

Campbell County

Clinton

Powell

Karns

If pressed, I would probably pick Fulton to win it because they have what I don't see from the others - an honest to goodness difference maker at QB.  And I think they have enough talent to fill in - not replace, mind you because you don't replace a Dobson or Mobley - for their major losses.  Just not sure that Oak Ridge can even begin to replace the production of Higgins.  I love the Graham kid, however.  I look for a really big year from him.  

Should be in interesting race between those two for the district championship, in my opinion.  

And it's really hard to tell how West is going to be at this point.  They still have athletes, and Lamar Brown has a good track record with similarly athletic teams.  Just depends on how quickly those kids and that new coaching staff and style can gel.  

I love Just and Matt both as coaches and people, but they were hit hard by graduation losses and I just don't know that there is enough in the pipeline to duplicate the recent success they have had.  They graduated a lot of guys who have started for 3 years.  

Clinton - saw them scrimmage Maryville.  They have some guys with some skill, just not enough yet.

Karns and Powell appear to still be a good ways away.   

• 2 months later...

OR QB # 1 Johnny Stewart is going to have a super year. He has the experience, skills and loads of talent to pass to. If Graham does get touches as a slot receiver, he will do a lot of damage. Anytime you can get him in open field he's homeward bound. Caleb Martin has worked extremely hard and has tried to follow Tee's example on how to impress college coachs  The Eastern Kentucky commitment won't make us forget Tee but he will carve out a solid reputation.

I think Oak Ridge will win the Region on the final night of the regular season. I just really believe we have too many young skilled people on offense to be shut out. It sounds weird but Tee set the example for how to be a solid leader and tough football player. The current Wildcats will follow his example to make it deep in the playoffs which we never did with Tee. These same skilled players will bring speed to the defense that will be fun to watch. We will have a swarming defense.

Special teams will be play makers and difference makers.

The lines? These guys must know everybody is worried about the lines. They have been questioned and called out since week one of last season. How will they respond? I believe they will be ready to shut us up.

Now I do have a major concern. The coaches. I love Gaddis and all the coaches but they have got to be able to put all the young players in places where they can shine. This calls for imagination and the ability to make changes during the game. This was what killed us at McMinn County. After every series the linemen would come off the field mad they didn't get the job done, a coach would yell at them and then nothing. The players were frustrated and wanted to succeed but they were not given the coaching to succeed. This year our coaches have got to do a better job. I believe they will.

Picking 1st is tough for me. I know what Oak Ridge has on offense, but what about defense? That Fulton QB is pretty dang good. Oak Ridge vs Fulton game should decide region champ. I'll go with Fulton but wouldn't surprise me at all if Oak Ridge won. West at 3rd place. I wanna believe Clinton can beat Campbell County for 4th. Clinton gets them at home, for homecoming, and of course CC lost a ton. But those Price twins can really coach and Clinton has been flat out bad. We'll see what McKamey can do. I'll have to with Campbell County though.

So right now I'll go with:

Fulton

Oak Ridge

West

Campbell County

Clinton

Powell

Karns

I have been known to be wrong before.

Edited by dkota44

6 minutes ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

Actually, you make great observations. Now, if you want to meet somebody who is wrong a lot, read my posts. I have screwed up so many predictions I am surprised the other Oak Ridge posters haven't had me banned lol.

Don't give them any ideas! But you know, that's the great thing about the internet. Is anyone really ever wrong?

3 hours ago, dkota44 said:

Picking 1st is tough for me. I know what Oak Ridge has on offense, but what about defense? That Fulton QB is pretty dang good. Oak Ridge vs Fulton game should decide region champ. I'll go with Fulton but wouldn't surprise me at all if Oak Ridge won. West at 3rd place. I wanna believe Clinton can beat Campbell County for 4th. Clinton gets them at home, for homecoming, and of course CC lost a ton. But those Price twins can really coach and Clinton has been flat out bad. We'll see what McKamey can do. I'll have to with Campbell County though.

So right now I'll go with:

Fulton

Oak Ridge

West

Campbell County

Clinton

Powell

Karns

I have been known to be wrong before.

Same order for me. Should be an entertaining season, with no clear cut front-runner. Powell and Karns certainly have a long way to go.