My Annual What If TSSAA Changed Baseball Post-Season Post

davidlimbaugh

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those other systems sound interesting.   One of the tensions is the ongoing conflict between the tournaments and graduation for seniors. If the system remains the same going into the state tourney, you might want to employ a single elimination for the first round on Monday; then a double elimination for the 4 remaining teams for Tuesday and Wednesday, with the championship game as a single elimination on Thursday.  This would allow seniors to graduate on Fridays or Saturdays when most ceremonies are held.  This would still allow a team's #1 pitcher to pitch twice if the team makes it to Thursday.  

Coaches are not the problem.  TBCA is on board.  Have been for several years now.  They don't like system in Division 1

Is it one man at TSSAA the coaches association has to convince or the board members?  As much as they've monkeyed around with football over the years I would think they'd let the baseball coaches decide their own post season.  Time and travel have to be the only variables that could prevent it.

The board of control is made up of principals that want their students in school and preparing for final exams at that point and not traveling across the state for multiple dates many of which would require expensive hotel stays. You guys look only at the baseball side. The "school" side comes into play also. For some reason, that part gets forgotten.

The board of control is made up of principals that want their students in school and preparing for final exams at that point and not traveling across the state for multiple dates many of which would require expensive hotel stays. You guys look only at the baseball side. The "school" side comes into play also. For some reason, that part gets forgotten.

My plan has them missing less school - I put that thought into the plan -  Friday evening, Saturday :)  

My plan has them missing less school - I put that thought into the plan -  Friday evening, Saturday :)

David they being the board of control could move Spring Fling to where it begins Tuesday the week of Memorial Day and it would eliminate any school being missed for travel.  My thought would be to complete pool play on Wednesday evening, take Thursday off or use it as a rain day and begin the best 2 out of 3 series for the state championship on Friday evening with game 1 @ 5:30 and game 2 beginning 30 minutes after the conclusion of game 1.  If needed game 3 would be Saturday at 12 noon.  The awards ceremony; All-Tournament Team, MVP, State Runnerup & State Champions awards will begin immediately after the state champion has been determined.  

The only people that could possibly have a complaint are the travel team coaches.

Most travel teams have enough players to overcome the few on their roster that might be playing in the state tournament and miss one tournament.  I like this idea except I would play on Memorial Day and get through by Friday.

As far as missing school goes, it's no different than the school that is missed for football and basketball except it's at the end of the year.  In fact it's less.  Football has 5 weeks of playoffs.  Basketball takes a month to crown a champion.  Baseball has a 3 week post season.

Using current system, I want to go to 4 8 team regions.

Each district can determine top 4 teams as it chooses. Play regional games at the 2 #1 seeds and then come together when at 4 teams and rotate which district hosts. How it would have played this year

5/12 - Games 1-4

5/13 - Games 5-8 (2 elim)

5/15 - Games 9-10 (2 elim)

5/16 - Games 11-12 (1 elim)

5/17 - Game 12 (1 elim)

5/18 - Championship and if-needed

Most travel teams have enough players to overcome the few on their roster that might be playing in the state tournament and miss one tournament.  I like this idea except I would play on Memorial Day and get through by Friday.

As far as missing school goes, it's no different than the school that is missed for football and basketball except it's at the end of the year.  In fact it's less.  Football has 5 weeks of playoffs.  Basketball takes a month to crown a champion.  Baseball has a 3 week post season.

You get a much better walk up gate on Friday & Saturday than you do during the week.  Just like the attendance is better for evening games than games that are played during the middle of the day.  Most series would be settled on Friday.  I see very few series that would be extended to Saturday.  If you really wanted good fan attendance you would play game #1 on Friday at 7:00pm, game #2 on Saturday at 5:00pm and game #3 if needed would start 30 minutes after the completion of game #2.

Edited by cbg