The 2016 Class 2A State Champions

Bassy is right. I wouldn't want a title handed to us like that anyway. If it was proven true it's a raw deal for the kids from MC, Waverly or whoever else would have had a shot. But it's an even worse thing for the kids that were manipulated for personal gain from a staff or administration. Until proven otherwise Trezevant is your state champion.

You are exactly right. The real "victims", (if the allegations are true) are the Trez kids who were used for the purpose of competing for titles, passed through the system without merit, then discarded. The Memphis faithful will probably defend the school and coaches regardless of findings, when they should be offended by the whole concept. 

Education is the way out of poverty for everyone...football for the .05 percent. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are exactly right. The real "victims", (if the allegations are true) are the Trez kids who were used for the purpose of competing for titles, passed through the system without merit, then discarded. The Memphis faithful will probably defend the school and coaches regardless of findings, when they should be offended by the whole concept.

Education is the way out of poverty for everyone...football for the .05 percent.

Five hundredths of a single percent?

Five hundredths of a single percent?

I watched an ESPN documentary one time that spike to this. They mentioned that less than 1% of all high school athletes receive a full paid scholarship to compete in that sport in college. Of all of those athletes that play sports in college, less than 1% go on to play that sport professionally. So I would say that trader is probably pretty accurate.

*** BREAKING NEWS FROM FAKE NEWS ***

It's being reported that Marion County is your 2016 Class 2A State champion.

We go live to the scene in Jasper.  

giphy.gif

What kind of mess is this? I garuntee you I called that man at Ronnies red eye and that Childress man didnt give the championship to that Mathis man. He is on probation to. You think im joking but im not.

I'd say that wouldn't be much of an overstatement...I specified football, not athletics, and technically a scholarship is education. I'm referring to the very few who sign to play for pay.

I think we meant the same thing. I just mentioned the documentary as a way to point out the very small likelihood that same will actually make their living playing football.

I think we meant the same thing. I just mentioned the documentary as a way to point out the very small likelihood that same will actually make their living playing football.

I wonder what the percentages are for those that "make a living" playing football actually have something to show for it after the fact?

But ya know trader I played ball in Milan in my high school days. But I knew I wouldn't make my living doing it. I was realistic. That's why I'm a teacher today.

Yep, we were on the same page BPM. Sports aren't "just" to find out who's school is best at a particular event...life lessons and moral values are well learned through athletics, as well as incentives to do well in the classroom...NOT the other way around!!!