How Good Will Morristown West or Morristown East be this Fall?

EASTFAN

I haven't seen anything on the board about either High School. I know Morristown

West had to move up to 6A football. Do either school have what it take to win a 

State Championship or is it wishful thinking? If not, what do you see as Morristown

biggest problem getting there. Is it support, Head Coaches or lack of good players,

you tell me.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen anything on the board about either High School. I know Morristown

West had to move up to 6A football. Do either school have what it take to win a

State Championship or is it wishful thinking? If not, what do you see as Morristown

biggest problem getting there. Is it support, Head Coaches or lack of good players,

you tell me.

I can tell you that I want a hit of whatever blunt you have in your possession.

I can tell you that I want a hit of whatever blunt you have in your possession.

Morristown West has one of the best offensive coordinators in the state. It takes all of the above to win a state championship, support from fans and admin, players, good coaching staff, and some luck along the way. 

Morristown West has one of the best offensive coordinators in the state. It takes all of the above to win a state championship, support from fans and admin, players, good coaching staff, and some luck along the way.

Easier said than done. I expect West to do better than people think they will after moving up but they also need to worry about winning the conference before thinking about a state championship. The pieces are there

Easier said than done. I expect West to do better than people think they will after moving up but they also need to worry about winning the conference before thinking about a state championship. The pieces are there

Why do people always want to lower the standard when someone wants a championship. Please do not take this personal, but your altitude toward a State Championship, is part of Morristown problem. I remember when Don Woods was the coach at West High, the standard he set were to compete for a state championship.If Woods & company didn’t have to deal with Maryville ever year, Morristown West would have won a championship In football already. During Coach Woods run at west, it even made East’s football better. East’s had to raises it game up just to compete with West. I just think to many people in this town are just happy being avg. Look at the Head Coaches at both schools. East coach Wells is a great guy, but he has a losing career record. Not much of a chance with Wells in winning a championship for East. The new Coach Sanders at West could be the next Don Woods, it is just too early to tell. My point is, if you want your son to make A’s in school. You have to work toward that goal or you will end up with a lot of C’s.There is no reason why High School football in Morristown is not at the same level it is in Maryville & Alcoa.

Why do people always want to lower the standard when someone wants a championship. Please do not take this personal, but your altitude toward a State Championship, is part of Morristown problem. I remember when Don Woods was the coach at West High, the standard he set were to compete for a state championship.If Woods & company didn’t have to deal with Maryville ever year, Morristown West would have won a championship In football already. During Coach Woods run at west, it even made East’s football better. East’s had to raises it game up just to compete with West. I just think to many people in this town are just happy being avg. Look at the Head Coaches at both schools. East coach Wells is a great guy, but he has a losing career record. Not much of a chance with Wells in winning a championship for East. The new Coach Sanders at West could be the next Don Woods, it is just too early to tell. My point is, if you want your son to make A’s in school. You have to work toward that goal or you will end up with a lot of C’s.There is no reason why High School football in Morristown is not at the same level it is in Maryville & Alcoa.

Your last sentence is exactly my point. There's no reason West shouldn't be contending for state championships about every year. The pieces are there like I said but coaching cost West at least two wins last year including South Doyle. Yes I want it back where Don Woods had it and that would benefit both schools. I'm cheering for Sanders and I want him to succeed and get us back to that level. It's just too early to tell yet.

Even if West would've beaten Maryville in those years it isn't a given they would've beaten some of those great Melrose or Hillsboro teams of the early 2000's, but I get what you're saying. Those were some very tough teams in their own right Maryville had to beat. I don't know if West has the talent year in and year out to compete for state titles, even with great coaching, but I don't live around there, so I don't get to see them too often unless they're on TV. I do hope West does good every year though, especially now since the chance of us playing them in the playoffs is nil now haha

Edited by SweetScience

Even if West would've beaten Maryville in those years it isn't a given they would've beaten some of those great Melrose or Hillsboro teams of the early 2000's, but I get what you're saying. Those were some very tough teams in their own right Maryville had to beat. I don't know if West has the talent year in and year out to compete for state titles, even with great coaching, but I don't live around there, so I don't get to see them too often unless they're on TV. I do hope West does good every year though, especially now since the chance of us playing them in the playoffs is nil now haha

The one time West did beat Maryville in the playoffs we got killed by Hillsboro. Yes West does have talent almost every year to contend for state titles. Maybe someday they'll put it all together.

• 2 weeks later...

Really?? I'm not sure he is Top 25! Top 50 for that matter. List some of the places this guy has been and things he has accomplished. The guy might be who you say he is.