Brentwood turf install?

chumley7

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

second turf field at a Williamson county public school. Rutherford getting farther behind.

Really because I am pretty sure Williamson athletics would love all the indoor facilities Rutherford schools have. Who cares about turf when the practice facilities are the game changer. I don't think any Williamson County High school in any outdoor sport has an indoor facility.

Really because I am pretty sure Williamson athletics would love all the indoor facilities Rutherford schools have. Who cares about turf when the practice facilities are the game changer. I don't think any Williamson County High school in any outdoor sport has an indoor facility.

Edited by chumley7

Indoor facilities didn't help Oakland

You should see our indoor practice facilities at Stewart County. State of the art!

As much as I would love to see turf fields in Rutherford county it may not happen for while. But then again we are not paying taxes through our noses either. Donors are few and far between that would make up the amount for turf field. Last time I checked the average cost to do a turf field is close to 700-800k  with a 10 year life expectancy. The real issue is not in the appearance and low maintenance, but the reduction in serious injury.  A lot of folks on here want to argue the blown out knee, twisted ankle or turf toe  argument...or even the college and pros prefer grass....arguments. There is some validity in that however those fields have minimum use  (no band competitions, soccer tournaments, PE classes, rotc Rugby Jr High games JV games and hundreds of other activities that compact the dirt into almost concrete like substance.  These colleges and pro teams have grounds keeper that meet NFL stds for soil give and compression. That being said using turf is safer in head to turf injuries resulting in 87% fewer concussive type injuries. Harvard did a study that showed most head injuries in high school were not head to head hits, but a result of head to turf blow, and of that , the vast majority were played on grass fields.  I think that most school boards would agree there has been enough serious head trauma injuries to justify the cost. If it was the difference in one kids life it would be worth it.  

Edited by Blaze45

Turf is a waste of taxpayer money IMO. The price tag is not worth it. For $10,000 a year for maintainance you can have nice grass field that can hold up to multiple uses by the team, band, and even Youth programs. So double that amount to $20,000 a year and you are saving half a million dollars every ten years. The problem when you see bad high school fields is that the coach has not made it a priority. To have a nice field you have to put in the work.