Memphis Area Players being Recruited - 2018

kwc

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitehaven cornerback Rayshad Williams commits to Vanderbilt

Tom Kreager , USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee Published 7:47 p.m. CT June 25, 2017 | Updated 15 hours ago

35553607001_5271716805001_5271721564001-vs.jpg

Rayshad Williams

(Photo: Hudl)

Vanderbilt on Sunday picked up its third in-state prospect this month while continuing to stockpile recruits in the secondary for the Class of 2018.

Whitehaven cornerback Rayshad Williams committed to the Commodores, picking them over Arkansas, Mississippi State, Tennessee and Virginia Tech.

Williams is Vanderbilt's 12th commitment for the Class of 2018 and is the third defensive back to pledge to the Commodores in a four-day span. Cornerback Tre Douglas of Georgia committed to Vanderbilt on Thursday, and safety Dashaun Jerkins of Virginia committed on Friday.

Williams, a 6-foot-4, 183-pound senior, is a three-star prospect according to the 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 28 prospect in the state according to the recruiting site and No. 80 cornerback in the country.

"He is one that has an extremely high ceiling," Whitehaven coach Rodney Saulsberry said. "He's the new prototype corner. And he is extremely athletic for a man of that size.

"And he is a true corner."

Williams is joined by Brentwood Academy's Gavin Schoenwald and Camron Johnson as in-state recruits committed to the Nashville SEC school.

That comes a year after Vanderbilt didn't have an in-state pledge until Pearl-Cohn's Brayden Devault-Smith committed the day before national signing day, 

Williams had 44 tackles with three interceptions for Whitehaven in 2016. The Tigers defeated Oakland 12-9 in the 2016 TSSAA Class 6A state championship game. Williams had five tackles and an interception in the title game.

Saulsberry said Williams' role will expand this season. He'll play some on offense, potentially at quarterback or wide receiver. And he'll be on special teams.

Ole Miss football gets commitment from Germantown cornerback Jaylin Williams

Tom Kreager , USA TODAY NETWORK - Tennessee, Published 1:34 p.m. CT June 23, 2017 | Updated 3:18 p.m. CT June 23, 2017

A look at the top prep football recruits in Memphis and where they are planning to play in college.Mike Brown/The Commercial Appeal

636241414377048446-preps-generic.jpg

(Photo: File)

Germantown defensive back Jaylin Williams is headed to the SEC.

The 6-foot, 175-pound senior announced his commitment to Ole Miss on Friday on his Twitter account.

He chose the Rebels over Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, Virginia and Washington State.

"I'm not surprised at all (by his commitment)," Germantown coach Chris Smith said. "They have recruited him hard. They were at spring practice many times. One day I looked up and there were two Ole Miss coaches there.

"Jaylin has stayed in constant contact for a while with Ole Miss. They have a good relationship."

Commitments are nonbinding for the athlete and the school. Williams cannot sign until the newly approved early signing period on Dec. 20.

Williams has an expanded role for Germantown, also playing receiver and returning kicks.

Williams recorded 62 tackles, forced a fumble, intercepted a pass and broke up eight a year ago. He gave up only three catches all season.

He had 36 catches for 856 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Highlight Video, Jr. year

Smith said Williams has gotten more physical and may be the fastest player in Memphis. Williams, who played at 158 pounds a year ago, added about 15 pounds in the offseason, Smith said.

Williams is a three-star prospect by 247Sports and 29th overall prospect from Tennessee in the 247Sports composite list. He is the No. 82 corner in the country.

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Ole Miss finished 5-7 in 2016, missing a bowl game. The Rebels have self-imposed a one-year bowl ban for the 2017 season.

Edited by kwc

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday Sports Brunch: Taylor to OU

John Varlas , USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 10:00 a.m. CT July 9, 2017 | Updated 1:26 p.m. CT July 9, 2017

Kundarrius Taylor

(Photo: Mark Weber, The Commercial Appeal)

A story on the Oklahoma Insider page at 24/7 Sports calls Ridgeway's Kundarrius Taylor a "relatively unknown" commodity.

But high school football fans know how good Taylor is and the Sooners will soon find out as well after the class of 2018 recently announced his commitment to the perennial Big 12 contenders. Verbal commitments are non-binding but Taylor is expected to make it official on Signing Day in February.

"I'm very excited," he said. "It's a lovely place ... and I think I'll fit in well in the small-town atmosphere. It's real chill."

The 6-3, 189-pounder made a strong case for being the area's top playmaker after a breakout 2016 season for a Roadrunners team that finished lost to eventual state champion East in the quarterfinals of the 4A playoffs to finish 9-4.

Taylor caught 40 passes for 576 yards and 13 touchdowns. He averaged 32.2 yards on kick returns while scoring twice to go along with 16.6 on punts and two more scores. Taylor also ran for nine touchdowns.

His most impressive game came in a 31-24 victory over Lexington in the second round of the playoffs as he scored touchdowns receiving, rushing and on punt and kickoff returns as the Roadrunners rallied from a 24-12 third-quarter deficit.

That versatility should make him a potent weapon for the Sooners, who underwent a coaching change this offseason when Bob Stoops announced his retirement, paving the way for Lincoln Riley to move up from offensive coordinator.

"I was upset at first," he said of Stoops' decision. "But we kept talking ... and (the offense) is still going to be the same. Of course I think I'll fit into the spread (offense)."

Taylor had offers from several other programs, including Memphis, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Tennessee and UCLA. But it was Mississippi State that ultimately came the closest thanks to the close relationship Taylor has with Bulldogs receiver and former White Station star Donald Gray.

"I talked a lot with Donald," he said. "We're like brothers."

Taylor joins Whitehaven defensive back Rayshad Williams (Vanderbilt), Southwind defensive end Jordan Davis (Alabama), Harding offensive lineman Will Lawrence(Virginia), Germantown defensive back Jaylin Williams (Ole Miss), Cordova athlete Jacolby Hewitt (Indiana) and Lausanne defensive lineman Nyle Love (Memphis) as players who have announced their commitments.

Edited by kwc

Southwind's Davis commits to Bama

John Varlas , john.varlas@commercialappeal.com Published 5:56 p.m. CT Dec. 13, 2016 | Updated 5:56 p.m. CT Dec. 13, 2016

Jordan Davis Interview

preps-generic.jpg

Southwind's Jordan Davis said he's never going to shy away from competition. And that's a good thing because simply to get on the field at his chosen school he'll have to beat the best.

The 6-5, 226-pound junior defensive end has committed to play college football at Alabama. He made the decision after visiting for the Iron Bowl against Auburn on Nov. 19.

Davis is rated a three-star prospect by 24/7 Sports.

"It was my first big rivalry game and I loved the experience," Davis said. "The atmosphere ... they showed us a lot of love. The fans were asking for autographs. I was just speechless.

"I don't mind competition. There's no way to get better without competition."

Tall and rangy with the potential to get add even more bulk, Davis said the Alabama coaches love the way he runs to the football. Jaguars coach Rahnmann Slocum said Davis has the potential to be a program-changer.

And as far as Southwind is concerned, he's already changed things.

"In the two years that I've been coach, Jordan has bought in," he said. "There's a lot of talent in the 38125. And one of the biggest things this shows is that you can stay at Southwind and make a big splash. You don't have to go to another school.

"He's worked hard and been a tough guy on the field."

Davis said he was also impressed with his meeting with coach Nick Saban.

"We talked about staying disciplined and taking care of the books," he said. "He's a very wise man."

Davis is the third Crimson Tide commitment in the class of 2018, joining four-star prospects Dameon Pierce, a running back from Bainbridge, Georgia, and Malcolm Epps, a tight end from Houston. He'll join former Whitehaven standout Josh McMillon as Memphians on the Alabama roster.

Edited by kwc

Sunday Sports Brunch: Harding lineman commits

John Varlas , USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 9:00 a.m. CT April 28, 2017 | Updated 9:00 a.m. CT April 28, 2017

Will Lawrence

(Photo: Mark Weber / Commercial Appeal)

The list of schools hoping to land a commitment from Will Lawrence read like a who's-who of college football.

Clemson and Alabama, the two teams that played for the national championship, both offered along with the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Miami, Nebraska, LSU and USC. But in the end, Lawrence opted for security over sexy.

Lawrence, who has started for Harding since his eighth-grade season, announced last week he has committed to Virginia. Verbal commitments are non-binding but the 6-4, 289-pounder is expected to make it official on Signing Day in February.

"I really related to (offensive line) coach (Garrett) Tujague's coaching methods," Lawrence said. "His personality, the way he was coaching. I really liked that. And the whole campus is a really good place. I was very impressed."

Added Lions coach Johnny Allen, "It's a good fit for him. He's a relational guy ... he's a pleaser. And he's wrapped up and focused on being the best. It was important for him to find a system where he could fit in and thrive."

Lawrence is the seventh player in the class of 2018 to publicly commit to the ACC school, which ended the season on a seven-game losing streak to finish 2-10.

"I feel like the program is headed in the right direction," Lawrence said.

In other recruiting news last week, South Carolina offered talented underclassmen Bill Norton, a 6-5, 265-pound class of 2019 defensive end at CBHS, and 6-5, 300-pound offensive lineman Ray Curry from White Station. Curry is already the third player in the class of 2020 to pick up a Power 5 offer, joining Whitehaven linebacker Bryson Eason and Central wide receiver Darrin Turner.

Southwind's Jordan Davis picked up his 12th offer, from Texas A&M. The 6-5, 238-pound weakside defensive end committed to Alabama in December. Lawrence, Davis and St. Benedict athlete Cam Jones (Indiana) are the local players in the class of 2018 who have made their commitments known.

Edited by kwc

Lausanne linebacker Nyle Love commits to Memphis

Tom Schad , USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 12:23 p.m. CT June 12, 2017 | Updated 1:21 p.m. CT June 12, 2017

636162165009578595-4.jpg

(Photo: Mark Humphrey, AP)

Less than 24 hours after receiving an offer from Memphis football coach Mike Norvell, Lausanne outside linebacker Nyle Love announced his commitment to the Tigers on Twitter on Monday morning.

Love, who is listed at 6 feet 1 and 217 pounds, is rated a three-star prospect by 247 Sports but unrated by Rivals and ESPN. He also reportedly held offers from Louisiana Tech, Appalaichan State and Arkansas State in addition to a number of Football Championship Subdivision schools.

Norvell offered Love on Sunday after the rising senior participated in Memphis' "Big Cat Mega Camp" on campus.

A dynamic outside linebacker, Love helped guide Lausanne to a 14-0 season, capped with the school's first state title, in the fall. He finished the season with 53 tackles, four interceptions and seven passes defended. He also scored three touchdowns on 18 offensive carries.

Love was one of two players to commit to Memphis over the weekend, alongside Nigel Brannon, an offensive lineman from Oklahoma City. The Tigers now have five members in their 2018 recruiting class: Brannon, Love, Louisiana offensive lineman Titus Jones, Alabama cornerback Alondras Strong and Mississippi wide receiver Jeremy Tate.

• 2 weeks later...

Whitehaven's Devon Robinson commits to Mississippi State

John Varlas, USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 11:06 p.m. CT July 21, 2017 | Updated 11:07 p.m. CT July 21, 2017

preps-generic.jpg

(Photo: Logo)

Devon Robinson, who helped Whitehaven to an undefeated season and a Class 6A state championship in 2016, has verbally committed to Mississippi State.

The senior, who had previously announced he was committing on Sunday, posted his decision on Twitter late Friday.

"I would like to thank god for blessing me with all the opportunities I have received, also ... my mother, father and grandfather cause without them none of this would be possible!," he Tweeted. "I would like to thank my coaches and teammates as well for pushing me everyday to be better on and off the field."

Memphis apparently came to close to landing a commitment from Robinson; he also had kind words for head coach Mike Norvell and assistants Ryan Silverfield and Paul Randolph.

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

In addition to the Tigers, the 6-6, 260-pounder had offers from Louisville, Northeastern State, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, Northeastern State and Arkansas-Monticello.

Robinson's efforts helped the Tigers finish 15-0 last fall, winning the second state championship in school history with a 12-9 victory over Murfreesboro Oakland. That was one of nine games in which Whitehaven held its opponents to 10 points or less.

He's the second Whitehaven standout to commit this offseason, joining defensive back Rayshad Williams (Vanderbilt).

Reach John Varlas at john.varlas@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter @johnvarlas

Memphis-area high school football teams strap on the pads

John Varlas, USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 11:14 p.m. CT July 24, 2017 | Updated 6:33 a.m. CT July 25, 2017

Germantown, other area teams don full pads for the first time this year

35553607001_5520647494001_5520642151001-vs.jpg

Germantown, other area teams don full pads for the first time this year John Varlas / Commercial Appeal

gtown-football-1.jpg

(Photo: Jim Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

It took only about 10 minutes into practice at Germantown High for one of the players to fully realize what's in store for the next several months.

"Dang it!" he exclaimed. "We're in full pads!"

Monday indeed was the first day for the Red Devils and every other team in the state to don full pads for the first official day of high school football season. And — like St. George's assistant coach Aaron Hayden Tweeted out early in the day — it's a chance to start separating the grinders from the slackers.

Based on early results at least, this year's Red Devils team has quite a few grinders.

"I think it's a really big day," said Chris Smith, heading into his third season as coach of one of the area's traditional powers.

Germantown High School coach Chris Smith directs his

Germantown High School coach Chris Smith directs his team during their first practice of the season in full pads at their practice field behind thew school. Despite the hot day, Germantown ran plays and scrimmaged taking frequent water breaks. (Photo: Jim Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

"They've worked hard all offseason. They've put in a lot of work, a lot of investment. Today's really the start of the new journey, the 2017 football season. A lot of these guys have worked hard the three years I've been here ... they're really looking forward to the season and (to) making their mark as to who we're going to be at Germantown."

Added standout senior defensive back Jaylin Williams, "It was physical. I think at some point the heat got to us ... but I feel good about the season based on how the first day in pads went.

"It shows who's working and who wasn't."

Gone are the days when the first day of practice meant handing out pads, getting acquainted with the coaching staff and learning a few basic plays. Germantown's coaches threw a lot at their players on Day One and, for the most part, they responded.

Senior linebacker/fullback Ted Lyons said days like Monday are where the separation begins.

"This is where we find out if you really want to play football at this high school level," he said. "It wasn't even that hot today but the heat still got to us ... It's about who really wants it."

Germantown High School players try to cool down during

Germantown High School players try to cool down during the Red Devil's first practice of the season in full pads Monday morning. Despite the hot day, Germantown ran plays and scrimmaged taking frequent water breaks. (Photo: Jim Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

In a related development, Williams confirmed to The Commercial Appeal that he has de-committed from Ole Miss in the wake of Hugh Freeze's resignation last week. The 5-11, 170-pound defensive back was quoted last week as saying that he planned to stick with the Rebels before opting to re-open his recruitment over the weekend.

Arkansas State, Ball State, Colorado State, Louisiana-Monroe, Memphis, Middle Tennessee State, Mississippi State, Tennessee-Martin, Toledo, UMass, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Washington State and Wake Forest are the schools that have offered Williams, according to 24/7 Sports.

Reach John Varlas at john.varlas@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter @johnvarlas.

Edited by kwc