Too Many Classes

BoardHater71

In 2009 the TSSAA expanded Division I from five classifications to six.  In 2016 the TSSAA voted to force Private Schools that compete in Division I to face more severe consequences as it relates to which classification that the multiplier forces them to compete in.  This led to a large majority of the private schools in the state of Tennessee to leave Division I and choose to play in Division II.  In order to compensate the larger number of schools in Division II the TSSAA expanded Division II from two classifications to three beginning in the fall of 2017.  The addition of more classes led to more regions and therefore schools being forced to find more non-region games.  In fact a large portion of schools in the state play the majority of the contests against non region foes.  November, and December, for schools statewide has become a "silly season" for high school football coaches.  Instead of maintaining traditional rivalries that go back several decades the coaches are now seeking wins at all cost.  Coaches are scheduling out of state opponents more frequently.  Coaches are scheduling in-state non-TSSAA schools more frequently.  When coaches do call other schools, often times, they are contacting schools that compete in much smaller classifications.  This is commonly referred to as "win chasing" and is damaging tradition and the competitive nature of the game.  The idea that "everyone gets a trophy" when the season is complete is saddening.  

Anyone else who has an opinion about this please share your thoughts.  This topic really came to my mind today when I saw that there are still a dozen schools, at least, statewide who are searching for games to play less than a month and a half away from the start of the season. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, howdoitknow said:

In 2009 the TSSAA expanded Division I from five classifications to six.  In 2016 the TSSAA voted to force Private Schools that compete in Division I to face more severe consequences as it relates to which classification that the multiplier forces them to compete in.  This led to a large majority of the private schools in the state of Tennessee to leave Division I and choose to play in Division II.  In order to compensate the larger number of schools in Division II the TSSAA expanded Division II from two classifications to three beginning in the fall of 2017.  The addition of more classes led to more regions and therefore schools being forced to find more non-region games.  In fact a large portion of schools in the state play the majority of the contests against non region foes.  November, and December, for schools statewide has become a "silly season" for high school football coaches.  Instead of maintaining traditional rivalries that go back several decades the coaches are now seeking wins at all cost.  Coaches are scheduling out of state opponents more frequently.  Coaches are scheduling in-state non-TSSAA schools more frequently.  When coaches do call other schools, often times, they are contacting schools that compete in much smaller classifications.  This is commonly referred to as "win chasing" and is damaging tradition and the competitive nature of the game.  The idea that "everyone gets a trophy" when the season is complete is saddening.  

Anyone else who has an opinion about this please share your thoughts.  This topic really came to my mind today when I saw that there are still a dozen schools, at least, statewide who are searching for games to play less than a month and a half away from the start of the season. 

Everyone had to know that scheduling was going to be a problem.  Just look at the sequence of events that have taken place:

1.  Private schools that offered financial aid were forced into D2

2.  Now most all private schools have been forced into D2

All of this has been done but you still have eight (8) classifications.  The State of Tennessee does not have a population base large enough to support 8 classifications in football or any other sport.  I am not naïve enough to believe that it will ever go back to one division but if the public and private must remain separated it should be three (3) classifications in the public school division and 2 (2) divisions in the private school division.

What would be best for everyone but will never happen is as follows:

1.  Five classifications for high school football in Tennessee with no public & private separation.

2.  Class A:  Small public schools and no private schools

3.  Class AA:  Public schools & small private schools that offer very limited financial aid.  No more than 3 players may be on the roster that accept financial aid and $1.00 shall be considered financial aid.  No form of WORK STUDY.

4.  Class AAA:  Public schools and private schools that offer no financial aid

5.  Class AAAA:  Public schools and private schools that offer financial aid

6.  Class AAAAA:  Public schools and private schools that offer financial aid

Return to a district format and teams must finish in the top two (2) of their district to advance on to the playoffs.  All schools that have 6+ wins may play in a bowl game if invited the week after the conclusion of the regular season.  I fully understand that this will never happen because everyone wants a trophy while giving the least amount of effort.  People have forgotten  that you must be good and have a little luck on your side to win a state championship.  

Edited by cbg