2017 Season underway

SummaryJudgment

Rough news for Garrett, I thought she and Logan were fantastic together.

The setting is too basic.  They have a tough time playing defense and can't set anything beyond a 4 or 2.  Cunningham covers for them by being so athletic, but sometimes, too often, they can't get her the ball enough to take advantage of her talent.

I think we are talking about different players.  Cunningham was probably overlooked last year.  She was as good as the two seniors, who were both great, but didn't get the recognition.  No complaints, at all, but this is clearly her team.  She contacts the ball high, with power, and is quick to the ball.  The setting isn't bad, it's just really basic, and the setters don't get to the ball that's off the net.  If she had the HV setter she would be able to do even more.

If the supporting players can contribute they can repeat.  My only concern is that sometimes there is some "politics" where the coaches try to hard to push the weaker players instead of getting Cunningham the ball more.  I think she is such a strong leader that they will repeat.  Egos can be dangerous, usually from parents! It's why I think Brentwood does so well, the players suppress their egos and get the ball to the stronger hitters.  If Catholic gets behind her they will repeat.  Great player.

I love KH, but she is surrounded by way better players than Cunningham who is a one man show, and you can't compare the quality of the two coaches.  Webb is the best team in Knoxville.  I promise you the Webb coaches play the best players not the ones with the most vocal parents.  There are Catholic starters that wouldn't even make Webb or HV, let alone start.  I think Cunningham makes Catholic great,  KH is a great player surrounded by great players with a coach who plays the best.  Who on Catholic other than Cunningham would start for Webb or HV?  No one.  Again, no slam on KH, she is awesome, but if OC had the setting, or another hitter to take the heat off of her, I think she is better.  Close, but better.  Catholic plays some players over others because of who their parents are or because they are seniors.  Webb and HV play their best.

12 minutes ago, K2ruth said:

Again, no slam on KH, she is awesome, but if OC had the setting, or another hitter to take the heat off of her, I think she is better. 

But you take my point, right? I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm missing something. But Knoxville has extraordinary VB talent for a town of its size, and your statements are extraordinary and should not be taken lightly. It's not just Kayleigh... you could include Niklin, Lily Felts, Meg Mersman, Alex Kirby, or any number of K2 kids who (given your handle) you probably know as well as anyone here. These are elite players.

You have made the point, at least twice in fact, that this particular player is the best best player in the Knoxville area. I'm sure she is a wonderful kid and a very good player who would probably start for any high school in the country. Maybe you are just trying to bring attention to her? If so, in the limited scope of this forum, mission accomplished, and congratulations.

To say any given player is the best player in town, regardless of who it is... that's going to be a tough point to defend. There's just too much talent.

• Upvote 1

I agree.  OC does not get the attention of the other players but she plays at school where other parents are pretty involved and push their daughters and the coach lets it happen. I love Alex.  All of the players you mention are top tier players except Felts.  We all agree that club has a pecking order that is not always talent driven.  Certain schools fall into the same trap.  A couple of parents at Catholic had a coach removed to get a certain coach in.  This resulted in some maybe undeserved playing time which is sad but it happens.  I just wanted to recognize a top tier player who gets overlooked.

Just my opinion.  Certain players play better with great players around them, others make the players around them great.  Cunningham, Kirby the Hames girls are great players that elevate their team.  Felts dad has made sure she was on great teams, but she is not in these other players class.  She is a strong player, but not a special player.  Look at how average her high school team is when not surrounded by stronger players.  If you flipped Felts and OC, Catholic is just an average team that would not make the state tourney.

2 hours ago, K2ruth said:

I agree.  OC does not get the attention of the other players but she plays at school where other parents are pretty involved and push their daughters and the coach lets it happen. I love Alex.  All of the players you mention are top tier players except Felts.  We all agree that club has a pecking order that is not always talent driven.  Certain schools fall into the same trap.  A couple of parents at Catholic had a coach removed to get a certain coach in.  This resulted in some maybe undeserved playing time which is sad but it happens.  I just wanted to recognize a top tier player who gets overlooked.

K2ruth was called a troll last year by Coach Hames on this board when K2ruth claimed Maryville was the best team in the state.  I've copied and pasted my favorite part where Coach Hames had to create a profile on Coach T just to write this one post.

From Page 6 on the "Maryville State Champions" post:

Let me clear up a few things that have been misrepresented here by K2ruth, who obviously is a troll and knows nothing about me or K2 volleyball club. 1. I am not coaching at Maryville in any way, shape, or form. Never been to a practice, nor do I plan on going. 2. My daughters are also not transferring to Maryville. They will be at Webb where they have been since they were freshmen. 3. We have several High School coaches that coach for us at K2, including my wife Chris. The notion that K2 is somehow anti high school is ridiculous. My wife coaches high school, and both my daughters play high school volleyball. We are proud when any K2 kids have success playing for and representing their school. They don't need to play for me to get "real coaching." Lastly, as a dad of two girls playing high school volleyball, I enjoy reading the predictions and opinions about who is the best, who will win district, state, etc.. on this board. Volleyball is being played on a high level all across the state from Memphis to Knoxville. I don't normally comment on any threads, just read them, but this thread was so far off base I just wanted to set the record straight.

J. Hames

K2 Volleyball Club

• Upvote 1

This is sad.  I am a parent of a former K2 player, thus my handle, K2 Truth!  Not a troll.  We did not have the experience we were promised and that is ok.  The politics of club was out of our league.  It's no surprise that ALL of the private schools are coached by K2 coaches, nor is it a surprise that the K2 players are treated differently at these privates.  Not trolling, telling the truth.

Club parents go to the headmaster of the private schools and get the old coaches replaced with K2 coaches,  I fought that battle and lost.  We are happy at Club Unite and I wish K2 well, we made some good friends, and weren't mistreated.

i stand by what I said last year.  If the TSSAA had not changed the rule J would have coached at Maryville, in my opinion.  Let's not beat that dead horse.

do you really think there is a better player in Knoxville than OC, Kirby or the Hames?  Try not to go negative on here with personal attacks.  Let's promote a great report and share opinions in a respectful manner, and not resort to name calling,  we get enough of that on the news!