2017 Season underway

SummaryJudgment

On 8/10/2017 at 4:25 PM, K2ruth said:

Catholic has the best player in Knoxville with Cunningham.  They won state last year, lost some great talent, but she is a special talent.  The setting limits her, but if her supporting cast will get her the ball then they could repeat.

Webb is the top team, again, in town.  This should be another easy ride to the state title.  

Farragut without Parker who graduated is not the same team.  It is a shame they didn't win while they had her, I don't see them making a run.  HV may pass them this year.  They don't have a star play like Cunningham, but they are solid.

No one else in town will make any noise.  

If HV had a talent like Cunningham, or if Catholic had a stronger setter or a stronger supporting cast, they would be a lock.  I think Catholic should repeat, HV will need to beat those strong Nashville area teams and I don't know if they can.

Not sure where you're receiving this information, and yes Cunningham is a solid player, but I can list 10-15 elite club players that are just as good or better than Cunningham. Farragut will still do well with Bower (College of Charleston commit). HVA also has 2 D1 commits and several other solid club players. In my opinion, Webb will remain the top team in the area with 3 Division 1 players and their young setter Jenkins. If you have only seen Catholic play thus far, you're in for a surprise when you see the loads of talent coming from the other Knoxville schools. 

In other threads I have stated that Webb is the best team in Knoxville, on that we agree.  I have HV as second.  What I stated earlier was that I thought Webb would win state and that HV will be at state but I don't think they can beat the mid state teams.  I also like Farragut but I think they are behind Webb and HV.  I don't put Catholic in their class, but I think they can repeat as AA champs IF the players around Cunningham can improve over the course of the season.  I'm not really a Catholic fan, more familiar with HV, and would love them to make a run at state and who knows what can happen.  I am just impressed with Cunningham and think that she will have a great season.  I think we are on the same page.

3 hours ago, K2ruth said:

In other threads I have stated that Webb is the best team in Knoxville, on that we agree.  I have HV as second.  What I stated earlier was that I thought Webb would win state and that HV will be at state but I don't think they can beat the mid state teams.  I also like Farragut but I think they are behind Webb and HV.  I don't put Catholic in their class, but I think they can repeat as AA champs IF the players around Cunningham can improve over the course of the season.  I'm not really a Catholic fan, more familiar with HV, and would love them to make a run at state and who knows what can happen.  I am just impressed with Cunningham and think that she will have a great season.  I think we are on the same page.

The reason that Webb is favored to be the #1 team in the area is because of the Hames, Jenkins and Wallace. Kayleigh and Wallace are strong outside attackers that will both be playing Division 1 ball. Nicklin Hames is the best player in Knoxville, let alone Tennessee, shown by her representing her country on the USA national team. She is followed by freshman setter Jenkins.

On the other hand, Hardin Valley is led by seniors Kirby and Mitchell. Both of them as well will be playing D1 volleyball next year and are sure to make an impact. Mitchell is a great libero and it will be hard for other teams to put balls away with her defense and Kirby's hustle and ability to run a fast-tempo offense. 

Yes Catholic is led by Cunningham, but they also have sophomore hitter Maya Alves to help with their offense. They also have Cassie, a freshman libero, to lead the backrow who played on K2's 14-1 team. 

Logan Eggleston is the top volleyball player in the state.  She was Gatorade player of the year as a sophomore.  She has led Brentwood to a championship every year and sorry to bust your bubble but the Wood will win again this year.

Why do the Knoxville teams get on here and pump themselves?  Hardin Valley is not a threat to win a championship, neither is Catholic.  HV is too slow and cannot compete in our District.  I got on the school web page and if Cunningham is number 4 then yes, she is very good but other than her they don't have anybody.

As to Webb, you need to measure your tone.  In the last few years they haven't had to play anybody to win a title.  This year more teams will be in their division.

The Wood is coming to Knoxville in a few weeks to play, after I see these teams I will give you more in depth thoughts.  Be aware Logan won't be their she is honoring her USA committee to, and Garrett is out with an injury so you won't be seeing our tournament team.

Finally, J Hames and his underlings need to stay off of this board pushing their "elite" players.  We had two "J's" in Nashville club 15 years ago and they almost killed high school and club volleyball.  It became a huge money grab.  Be wary of self promoters, and if they are putting club coaches in as high school coaches you have started down a bad path.  They WILL play club kids over non club kids.  It took us a decade to calm down.

On 8/12/2017 at 8:31 AM, BruinBabe said:

Be wary of self promoters, and if they are putting club coaches in as high school coaches you have started down a bad path.  They WILL play club kids over non club kids.  It took us a decade to calm down.

BB, help me understand your point here. I know Barb has never been a club coach, but otherwise, aren't most of the Williamson County high school coaches club coaches? Are you saying they shouldn't be?

Coaches who want to win will play their best players, whether they are club kids or not.

Coach actually pre dates club!  When club first hit Nashville it was not the money grab it became.  We had an asst "J" and another "J" who made a mess of everything.  Much like what I see K2 doing they tirelessly self promoted and then would have parents remove high school coaches to put in their people.  

Today club and high school work well together,  but it took 10 years and some growing pains to get there.  We had what I called the "club wars"

My problem with this board is that they push K2 tirelessly and if you speak out against them then you get trashed.  Logan is the top player end of discussion.  Hames is good, but not in Logan's class, no one from Hardin Valley could touch her or Garrett, and would struggle to make our starting 6.  If Cunningham is number 4 she is strong, but other than her Catholic has nothing.

1 hour ago, BruinBabe said:

Coach actually pre dates club!  When club first hit Nashville it was not the money grab it became.  We had an asst "J" and another "J" who made a mess of everything.  Much like what I see K2 doing they tirelessly self promoted and then would have parents remove high school coaches to put in their people.  

Today club and high school work well together,  but it took 10 years and some growing pains to get there.  We had what I called the "club wars"

My problem with this board is that they push K2 tirelessly and if you speak out against them then you get trashed.  Logan is the top player end of discussion.  Hames is good, but not in Logan's class, no one from Hardin Valley could touch her or Garrett, and would struggle to make our starting 6.  If Cunningham is number 4 she is strong, but other than her Catholic has nothing.

Yes, both Nicklin and Logan are top-tier players considering that they made the USA national team final cut which is only made up of 12 players in the nation. It is hard to compare them since they play different positions, but if I were picking the best all-around player, it would go to Nicklin. She is not only a great setter she has impeccable defense and is strong on the front row as well. Logan is more of a flashy player because of her ability to put the ball away, but if you're looking for someone who can do everything, Nicklin is the one. She also has the ability to show her leading abilities and take over a game when her team needs her. This is in no way bashing Logan because they are both among the best players in the nation and will lead their team to a state championship this year, and potential national championships during their college careers. 

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:31 AM, BruinBabe said:

Logan Eggleston is the top volleyball player in the state.  She was Gatorade player of the year as a sophomore.  She has led Brentwood to a championship every year and sorry to bust your bubble but the Wood will win again this year.

Why do the Knoxville teams get on here and pump themselves?  Hardin Valley is not a threat to win a championship, neither is Catholic.  HV is too slow and cannot compete in our District.  I got on the school web page and if Cunningham is number 4 then yes, she is very good but other than her they don't have anybody.

As to Webb, you need to measure your tone.  In the last few years they haven't had to play anybody to win a title.  This year more teams will be in their division.

The Wood is coming to Knoxville in a few weeks to play, after I see these teams I will give you more in depth thoughts.  Be aware Logan won't be their she is honoring her USA committee to, and Garrett is out with an injury so you won't be seeing our tournament team.

Finally, J Hames and his underlings need to stay off of this board pushing their "elite" players.  We had two "J's" in Nashville club 15 years ago and they almost killed high school and club volleyball.  It became a huge money grab.  Be wary of self promoters, and if they are putting club coaches in as high school coaches you have started down a bad path.  They WILL play club kids over non club kids.  It took us a decade to calm down.

If anyone needs to measure their tone around here it's you. I haven't seen one person not give Brentwood their proper due. We are all well aware that your all powerful Bruins will win AAA state again. We are also all well aware that Logan is a great player. So is Nicklin Hames. She just happens to be on the same US National team as Logan so chill with the rhetoric please. 

As for J. Hames, I think you're a little out of line. He has posted once and it was to clear up some pretty damaging rumors.  He wasn't on here pumping the tires of his K2 girls. And I can tell you that K2 is a much different organization than what the J's were running in Nashville. So chill with the assumptions as well please.

Edited by SummaryJudgment
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JMAVU9193 said:

Did anyone here attend the Brentwood Blastoff at A-Game yesterday?

Siegel and Brentwood Academy showed up. Siegel beat Briacrest in two and BA beat Siegel in two. Siegel did fall in two to BB's All Powerful Logan-less Bruins, 19 and 23. Signal Mountain under-performed IMO thus leaving AA wide open. Looking forward to seeing how things shakeout next week at the Sunsphere Showdown.

7 hours ago, JMAVU9193 said:

Thanks, SJ. Surprised at Siegel beating Briarcrest, I didn't think they were returning much. Good for them.

BA has all the pieces, it will be an interesting year for them.

I agree. It will be a very interesting year for BA. Best middle combo in the state in my opinion.

Siegel has a very strong junior class. In fact, they have the three essential elements to being a very good high school team: a strong setter, strong libero, and at least one hitter who can be counted on to put a ball down. Those players are two legacies in sophomore setter Sophia Bossong and junior libero Julia Poarch. The hitters are juniors Julia Wheeler ( TN Tech commit) and MaKenzie Jordan who is making her way back from a torn ACL last year.

The only other teams I've seen so far this pre-season who have that trifecta, besides Brentwood, are Hardin Valley with seniors Alex Kirby (setter committed to Texas Tech), libero Izzy Mitchell (libero committed to Troy) and OH Mandy Prescott and Page with senior setter Claire Behan (committed to Jacksonville State) junior libero Becca Condo (committed to Wingate) and junior hitter Lanie Vantrease. Interesting thing about those four programs is that all their setters  are at least six feet tall.

That's not to say there aren't other programs out there who are also very strong in those three areas. Like I've mentioned, Houston is very good led by their senior setter KaLea Davis. And Ravenwood will be also be led by two legacies in senior OH Vic Cerino (committed to UTC) and junior libero Laura Knott. It will be interesting to see how the setting shakes out. Will be key for them.

Time to get it started!