2017 Season underway

SummaryJudgment

I lived the K2 experience.  It wasn't for our family.  They are really expensive, certain players get extra attention, and it seems that they use parents to place K2 coaches in specific programs.  I think all of the privates now have K2 coaches, please correct me if I am wrong, and some of these coaches, not all, had little real coaching experience before they got the jobs.  Why I don't like that is that playing K2 is not for everyone.  I don't think they are bad people, Mrs. Hames is an exceptionally nice lady.  But, if your coach is K2, and you are on a high school team, especially at a private school, you are treated differently if your daughter doesn't play K2.  Also, some weaker K2 players get more playing time if they play for a K2 coached high school program and I don't think that is fair.  Now, I know saying this will get me killed by the K2 posters on here, and they are many, but it is my opinion based on what our family and others experienced and are experiencing.

I agree with Bratman.  Too many of the kids playing volleyball now are burned out physically and especially mentally by the time they start playing for the "end" all important college scholarship.  What happened to playing another sport and using different muscle groups?  Taking a mental break from the same sport each day?  Some parents spend as much money to play club volleyball over their child's volleyball career, they probably could have paid for college and received change.  Just a thought.

Agreed!  This whole idea of year-round of any sport is driving great athletes to stop loving the game. Look at the success some single A schools are having with multi-sport athletes. Summertown just beat 2 top-10 AAA schools (if you believe the rankings at this point) to win a tournament last week. They are loaded with multi-sport players.  A couple are 3 sport (vball, bball and softball). And I don't know of any that play club. You can have success without over doing it  

Not saying the extra playing time can't be good. But we need to slow our roll on the amount some of these girls are playing. Too many make their senior year and are done. 

• 2 weeks later...

Season underway, kinda dead in here, figured I pass along what I am hearing from Mid-Tenn.

Brentwood - Nobody in their class, and that is without either Eggleston. Just so good on first and second contact, they don't make many errors, and when they do, they fix them quickly. Logan has been back in the US for a week, and sat the bench in last week's games. Maybe returns this week?

Ravenwood - Deep, skilled, athletic. At least D1 kids on the roster, and another 5 or 6 probably good enough to play in college somewhere.  Had some injury issues (in fact, there have been a LOT of injuries this year for everyone), but have been able to plug and play as needed. Will probably have the best shot at taking down Brentwood, if anybody does (they'll play at least 2 more times). Coach really knows her stuff, seems to make good in-game adjustments.

Siegel - Better than expected, based on the production they graduated. Maybe they'd have been better last year if they had spread the ball around a bit more? Certain to return to state tournament, which is basically home court for them.

Station Camp - they had a beastly kid move in from Texas, about 6'3" and already hits at a high D1 level. Play with a lot of confidence. Winning a lot of games against fair competition (they split a couple tournament matches with Collierville, for example). My buddy says they would have to get by a Williamson County team to make it to state, and that will be interesting.

Brentwood Academy - Tall, athletic, skilled. As deep at Ravenwood, comfortable in system or out. In D2 AA, Baylor might have a higher ceiling, but BA has a higher floor. That will be an interesting playoff.

Page - They have 3 D1 kids (2 of whom have committed, and a third yet to commit that is probably their best college prospect) and a D2 commit... too bad they are in Williamson County, and/or too bad they are the smallest school promoted to AAA. Serious first contact issues when someone other than the Libero touches the ball, that probably wouldn't be a problem in any other context (in TN, anyway).

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:15 PM, JMAVU9193 said:

Season underway, kinda dead in here, figured I pass along what I am hearing from Mid-Tenn.

Brentwood - Nobody in their class, and that is without either Eggleston. Just so good on first and second contact, they don't make many errors, and when they do, they fix them quickly. Logan has been back in the US for a week, and sat the bench in last week's games. Maybe returns this week?

Ravenwood - Deep, skilled, athletic. At least D1 kids on the roster, and another 5 or 6 probably good enough to play in college somewhere.  Had some injury issues (in fact, there have been a LOT of injuries this year for everyone), but have been able to plug and play as needed. Will probably have the best shot at taking down Brentwood, if anybody does (they'll play at least 2 more times). Coach really knows her stuff, seems to make good in-game adjustments.

Siegel - Better than expected, based on the production they graduated. Maybe they'd have been better last year if they had spread the ball around a bit more? Certain to return to state tournament, which is basically home court for them.

Station Camp - they had a beastly kid move in from Texas, about 6'3" and already hits at a high D1 level. Play with a lot of confidence. Winning a lot of games against fair competition (they split a couple tournament matches with Collierville, for example). My buddy says they would have to get by a Williamson County team to make it to state, and that will be interesting.

Brentwood Academy - Tall, athletic, skilled. As deep at Ravenwood, comfortable in system or out. In D2 AA, Baylor might have a higher ceiling, but BA has a higher floor. That will be an interesting playoff.

Page - They have 3 D1 kids (2 of whom have committed, and a third yet to commit that is probably their best college prospect) and a D2 commit... too bad they are in Williamson County, and/or too bad they are the smallest school promoted to AAA. Serious first contact issues when someone other than the Libero touches the ball, that probably wouldn't be a problem in any other context (in TN, anyway).

Great post. Pretty spot on. Especially about Siegel spreading the ball around more. Round robin part two with Brentwood, Ravenwood, and Page this week. Should go a long way to determining the seeding for the district tourney.

Another middle TN team to keep an eye on is Portland. Won the Rocky Top Classic this past weekend. None of the big east TN teams were there, But beat a few out of state teams on the way to the title. Station Camp finished 5th at that tourney.

Edited by SummaryJudgment

Portland is a AA team. I know that Knoxville Catholic has sort of already been crowned with their AA championship here (I exaggerate, mostly), but perhaps they'll meet in the state tournament.

In other news... forgot to mention... I am told Logan Eggleston has still not taken the court for Brentwood. Not that they've needed her. Working through some back issues, should be back before long.

Edited by JMAVU9193
forgot to mention...

On 9/12/2017 at 9:53 AM, JMAVU9193 said:

Portland is a AA team. I know that Knoxville Catholic has sort of already been crowned with their AA championship here (I exaggerate, mostly), but perhaps they'll meet in the state tournament.

In other news... forgot to mention... I am told Logan Eggleston has still not taken the court for Brentwood. Not that they've needed her. Working through some back issues, should be back before long.

From what I have heard and seen from some of Portland Scores. They definitely seem like a legit contender. Beating Page twice is no slouch. I know Hume-Fogg has just recently gotten their full lineup together. In some of the earlier tournaments they were missing a starter or two (I don't know if that includes the Early bird tournament). It also appears that Sullivan South is once again in the mix. Any other news about other teams (other than Knox Cath and AC only because I have seen a lot about both) like Signal Mtn or anyone else?

I love that Portland is getting some love!  They are a really good AA team!  Signal Mountain has a strong hitter but is not in Portland's class.  I also want to weigh in on Catholic.  I saw them at the Knoxville K2 tournament and they were not nearly as strong as they were last year.  They had a really strong hitter, mentioned on this board who is young but strong.  However, the setting is not good.  The setter from last year should set all the way around.  They also freeze out number 4 and go to the weaker hitters.  I don't think they won a game in Saturday?  They miss a lot of serves, and are slow.  Portland is better.  What happened to the coach that was there before the two K2 guys?  

In Williamson county news, Page beat up Ravenwood pretty good last night. I've made the point that Page suffers from first contact issues, but when that's not the case, they are a very good side out team, with size and athleticism at setter and across the front row. Apparently that's what happened last night, they ran their offense and blocked well enough to throw Ravenwood off their game.