Memphis East

karl98

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I messaged back and forth with John Varlas -he said that the original December 7th date to find out the fate of Memphis East was pushed back to tomorrow.

My guess is that if these kids are ruled ineligible, there will be some legal battles the ensue. Personally, I don’t think TSSAA has a valid argument. If you look back at a recent Commercial Appeal article about all of this, it will explain why East has a valid argument.

45 minutes ago, GCPioneer said:

I messaged back and forth with John Varlas -he said that the original December 7th date to find out the fate of Memphis East was pushed back to tomorrow.

My guess is that if these kids are ruled ineligible, there will be some legal battles the ensue. Personally, I don’t think TSSAA has a valid argument. If you look back at a recent Commercial Appeal article about all of this, it will explain why East has a valid argument.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info. 

I would think that the SCS legal team will persue it if the decision doesn't go in favor of East. This is coming up to a critical juncture in the the East schedule that will influence their status nationally. December 18th through Decemebr 23rd is when they play in the City of Palms Classic in Ft. Myers Florida. That is when they will most need Wiseman and Boyce.  The Penny Hardaway Hoopfest is Janueary 5th and 6th. They will play nationally ranked teams in the City of Palms and probably in the Penny Hoopfest as well, but I would say that the City of Palms holds more weight and clout.

This will be interesting indeed.

Edited by kwc

Memphis East's James Wiseman, Ryan Boyce to continue to play, but legal battle not over

John Varlas, USA TODAY NETWORK – TennesseePublished 3:26 p.m. CT Dec. 13, 2017 | Updated 3:30 p.m. CT Dec. 13, 2017

636214578587985343-mbpenny-3297362.JPG

(Photo: Mike Brown, The Commercial Appeal)

The season will go on for East basketball players Ryan Boyce and James Wiseman.

Chancellor Jim Kyle ruled Wednesday to grant a temporary injunction that allows the two to continue playing. The injunction will be in place pursuant to a scheduling agreement on another hearing.

“I’m just happy for the kids,” East coach Penny Hardaway said.

Boyce, who transferred from Houston, and Wiseman, who came from Nashville Ensworth, were initially ruled ineligible last month in an apparent violation of the TSSAA’s prior link coaching rule. They have participated in the last six games after Kyle issued his temporary restraining order.

Boyce and Wiseman have been playing since Nov. 22, when a Shelby County chancellor granted a temporary restraining order allowing the two to return to the court until at least a Dec. 7 hearing. That hearing was continued until today. 

In November, Chancellor Jim Kyle issued the ruling in response to Shelby County Schools officials seeking relief from a Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association's decision that the two players are ineligible because of transfer issues. 

Boyce, who formerly played at Houston High in Germantown, and the 6-foot-11 Wiseman, who came from Ensworth in Nashville, both played for Team Penny last summer. Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway, a former star at Memphis State and the NBA, is the coach at East. The TSSAA contends there is a coaching link between Team Penny and Hardaway as the East coach and such a connection would prohibit the players from playing at East under the association's rules.

Attorneys for SCS dispute the relationship between Team Penny, an AAU team, and Hardaway constitutes the coaching link.

This story will be updated. 

Hot off of the press from the Commercial Appeal!

Edited by kwc

T$$AA should just close their doors on the whole recruiting issue in high school athletics. At the end of the day the only schools they can penalize are the small county  schools and maybe one or two individuals. They can’t stop this machine called “Memphis” basketball. You can’t blame a kid for wanting to play on a national level nor should we hold them back from doing so. I’m all for disbanding T$$AA and may the best team win!