NCAA xfer shake up

Bump11

I have a picture but I can't post because I don't believe you can on coacht anymore. But it clearly shows Garrett Bowers wrestling with Derek Harrison's Wolfpack team. Isn't this clearly a violation? You cant coach a kid in the offseason and he transfer to your team? Coaching link? If I knew how to post it, I sure would because the proof is in the pudding lol

Edited by fooseball95

17 minutes ago, matfish said:

I did not know about the Baylor kid. That is a good pick up.

foose that sounds right to me. I believe that would make him ineligible. 

However I also heard cleveland was getting in some transfers that might not be eligible either. 

We will see

Edited by fooseball95

1 hour ago, fooseball95 said:

I have a picture but I can't post because I don't believe you can on coacht anymore. But it clearly shows Garrett Bowers wrestling with Derek Harrison's Wolfpack team. Isn't this clearly a violation? You cant coach a kid in the offseason and he transfer to your team? Coaching link? If I knew how to post it, I sure would because the proof is in the pudding lol

Fooseball you are absolulty right.  Look at this link.. Bowers being coached by Harrison on Flo

• Upvote 1

If the family does not make a physical change of address and the student athlete is not attending a boarding school I see no way that he would be eligible to compete in athletics.  If one sibling is still living at the old address and attending the old school it would be hard to convince me that a physical change of address has taken place.

Do we not have anything better to talk about than whether kids are eligible or not? I coach at Cleveland and with Higher Calling and does losing Garrett hurt? It absolutely does but I would never wish that he wasn't eligible. I understand there are rules and that he may not be eligible but Garrett is one of the best wrestlers in the state of Tennessee by far and if you do not agree then you don't know wrestling so for that reason alone I hope he is eligible because he is fun to watch. I am all for following the rules but the fact that a bunch of grown men have to sit behind a computer and laugh that a kid might not be eligible is down right embarrassing. I would have loved for Garrett to stay in our program but things happen and it is what it is. Good luck stud.

If you have a problem with what I said let me know. 

Evan Vermillion

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HCWCCoachV said:

Do we not have anything better to talk about than whether kids are eligible or not? I coach at Cleveland and with Higher Calling and does losing Garrett hurt? It absolutely does but I would never wish that he wasn't eligible. I understand there are rules and that he may not be eligible but Garrett is one of the best wrestlers in the state of Tennessee by far and if you do not agree then you don't know wrestling so for that reason alone I hope he is eligible because he is fun to watch. I am all for following the rules but the fact that a bunch of grown men have to sit behind a computer and laugh that a kid might not be eligible is down right embarrassing. I would have loved for Garrett to stay in our program but things happen and it is what it is. Good luck stud.

If you have a problem with what I said let me know. 

Evan Vermillion

I am not sure that anyone has anything against the young man or his family.  What I have taken from the thread is that a few individuals may feel as if one or more rules were broken.  It's pretty simple; if the TSSAA decides to investigate, they may or may not find that the transfer rules were broken.  If the TSSAA feels as if no rules were broken they will say have a good day and leave.  In the event they feel transfer rules were broken they have the option of handing out some type of punishment or doing absolutely nothing.  My personal feelings are that the TSSAA transfer rules are antiquated and need to be revised to reflect how times have changed.  If the TSSAA would change the rules to allow a student athlete the option of transferring one time without a legal change of address it would eliminate most all of the investigations the TSSAA conducts regarding transfers.  What people fail to understand is that often times the kids need athletics much more than athletics need the kids.  The TSSAA should change the rules to reflect modern day society and to help protect the kids.

Edited by cbg

It has nothing to do with Bowers. I'd probably go out on a limb and say that he never wanted to leave Cleveland in the first place. But rules are rules and it's clearly a violation. How can anyone that follows wrestling not know that. You gotta follow the rules and if you know the rules but break them anyways because u think your above the rules (and I think y'all know who I'm talking about) then you deserve what you get.

1 hour ago, fooseball95 said:

It has nothing to do with Bowers. I'd probably go out on a limb and say that he never wanted to leave Cleveland in the first place. But rules are rules and it's clearly a violation. How can anyone that follows wrestling not know that. You gotta follow the rules and if you know the rules but break them anyways because u think your above the rules (and I think y'all know who I'm talking about) then you deserve what you get.

I agree completely with following the rules and trust me I know that there are rules that were broken I'm not saying that he should get away with anything. That's not what I meant, I just don't think that we should be on here talking about the kids but just my opinion. But maybe thats what this forum is for. But I for one do not agree with the coaching link rule. Not that my opinion matters but many programs do not have a separate coach for high school and say a club team, so if they had a student athlete that wanted to move into their program but had already been coached by that coach they would automatically be ineligible which I think is wrong. But yes rules are rules and they are put in place for a reason and are made to be followed.