8-AA 2017

tnhoosier

I wouldn't say that the gap will be huge yet...once them and Macon play, it will be much more clear I think. The U is a lot more likely to destroy a team than Macon is, but head to head that might be a better battle than many think. 

York/Cannon tonight may answer the question as to whether YAI can be 3rd in this district in the regular season or if it truly is a toss up between them, Cannon, Smith, LA, Dekalb, and Watertown....they have all played someone closer than expected and/or lost an unexpected game already in this early season. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Halfway point in district..

1- Upperman 7-0: Beat Macon by 7 in first matchup but took 30+ by Levi on 30+ FG attempts to get it done.  Don't think they are as good as last season, their schedule has been weak but they are still big dogs until someone proves otherwise.

2- Macon Co 7-1: Only loss is to Upperman, other than struggling with Dekalb for a half  they have handled everyone else pretty handily. Carter is tough matchup for anyone, deepest team in the district.

3- York Institute 4-3: Control their own destiny for 3rd.  Matchup with the top 2 teams athletically better than anyone else in the district, but have to get over the mental hurdle and believe they can play with them. When supporting  cast plays solid they are pretty decent. Smith is a handful, Conatser has shot it well and 5 freshmen play considerable minutes. But with youth they are capable of being beaten by anyone on a given night. Need consistency.

4- DeKalb Co 4-4: Young team that has played above expectation in my opinion.  Struggle with putting points up on most nights. Could end up anywhere between 4th and 6th.

5- Livingston Academy 3-4: They have a hard time scoring and are lacking consistent shooting.  They play hard and will probably remain 5th but may drop a spot before regular season ends.

6- Cannon Co 2-5: Biggest surprise in the district, I think they are the 3rd most talented team in the district but for whatever reason have under performed.  Score the ball decently, but seem to struggle on the defensive end. Still think they capable of getting to 4th.

7- Smith Co 1-6: Losing West was devastating, she is the best player they have on both ends of the floor. Moore & Shoulders will both have to play extremely well the rest of the way to get the job done.  But they play extremely hard and always have a solid game plan.

8- Watertown 1-6: Tough first season moving up to AA. Seem to compete  hard but are limited athletically and are another  team that really seems to struggle to score. Matchup with Smith this week will determine 7th and 8th in my opinion.

How does everyone else see it playing out?

Edited by tnhoosier