Franklin

BooWhoWiseMan

29 minutes ago, Osage said:

BT, I am not aware of any other complaints, but neither am I close enough to the situation to have any authority. One would think the journalists who first ran with the story would be doing that digging?

That said, what do you mean by singling the Wrays out? Webb didn't initiate anything.

Probably a bad choice of words.  What I'm asking is if others complained,  why would suspension be limited to the Wray brothers

I hate to see Coach Webb accused of such things and, having some insight, I doubt that they are true.

Having a scholarship offered puts the player in a tough position. In this case, you could see the play on the field suffered in what appeared to be an effort to avoid injury. That had to create tension for everyone involved. It is easy to call the player a quitter if not playing at 100% but I can understand his hesitation of getting hurt. While frustrating to watch, I was willing to give the player a pass.

This really comes down to how a tough situation is handled. Coach Webb has a program and reputation to protect and honor. I don't disagree with the no practice - no play policy. I respect that.

I saw the brothers at the Spring Hill game and I was proud that they came to support the team in the stands. They congratulated the players in the end zone after the game.

It appears to me that, once again, the parents get things in a mess. This should have been settled in a meeting with the parents and the coach. Whatever the outcome, it should be kept between them. It is pretty easy to do that - keep your mouth closed.

Even worse is to take a turn to, what appears to be, false accusations. I hope these young men learn to handle situations better than the example they have been given in this circumstance. It is sad to see them end their playing time at Franklin in this way rather than their on-field contributions.

6 minutes ago, Hubbard said:

I hate to see Coach Webb accused of such things and, having some insight, I doubt that they are true.

Having a scholarship offered puts the player in a tough position. In this case, you could see the play on the field suffered in what appeared to be an effort to avoid injury. That had to create tension for everyone involved. It is easy to call the player a quitter if not playing at 100% but I can understand his hesitation of getting hurt. While frustrating to watch, I was willing to give the player a pass.

This really comes down to how a tough situation is handled. Coach Webb has a program and reputation to protect and honor. I don't disagree with the no practice - no play policy. I respect that.

I saw the brothers at the Spring Hill game and I was proud that they came to support the team in the stands. They congratulated the players in the end zone after the game.

It appears to me that, once again, the parents get things in a mess. This should have been settled in a meeting with the parents and the coach. Whatever the outcome, it should be kept between them. It is pretty easy to do that - keep your mouth closed.

Even worse is to take a turn to, what appears to be, false accusations. I hope these young men learn to handle situations better than the example they have been given in this circumstance. It is sad to see them end their playing time at Franklin in this way rather than their on-field contributions.

Hub,

I like your post and agree for the most part.  Valid points.  What I do disagree with is giving the players "a pass"  for not playing hard.  Not playing hard not only jeopardizes the said player getting hurt, but it also jeopardizes other players getting hurt by the lack of effort on said player;s part.....wether mental or physical lack of effort.  Putting your teammates in that circumstance is not good.   Just MHO

8 minutes ago, ocac said:

Hub,

I like your post and agree for the most part.  Valid points.  What I do disagree with is giving the players "a pass"  for not playing hard.  Not playing hard not only jeopardizes the said player getting hurt, but it also jeopardizes other players getting hurt by the lack of effort on said player;s part.....wether mental or physical lack of effort.  Putting your teammates in that circumstance is not good.   Just MHO

I understand your position. Generally I agree with that. At the same time, I can only try to imagine (never having been in the situation) the pressure being put on the player from various sides. Pretty tough thing (play hard, don't let your team down, don't get hurt, don't lose the scholarship) for a 17-18 year old to deal with. That is the only reason I was willing to give him a pass while at the same time being frustrated.

I thought this story had died without resolution. And it may yet, but Mom Wray kept it on life support through the local Fox affiliate (see here: http://fox17.com/news/local/franklin-high-school-families-concerned-about-coach-say-football-culture-is-unhealthy)

She suggests that Jake was pressured into returning too quickly from his concussion, and that both boys were suspended when she and her husband complained about this. Second, the story adds (in answer to BT Mafia's question) that another parent voiced concerns.

53 minutes ago, Osage said:

I thought this story had died without resolution. And it may yet, but Mom Wray kept it on life support through the local Fox affiliate (see here: http://fox17.com/news/local/franklin-high-school-families-concerned-about-coach-say-football-culture-is-unhealthy)

She suggests that Jake was pressured into returning too quickly from his concussion, and that both boys were suspended when she and her husband complained about this. Second, the story adds (in answer to BT Mafia's question) that another parent voiced concerns.

It is a mute point now. Nothing should or will happen to coach Webb. Witch hunt to me. It's over parents, move on.

Edited by hardtackle

New story was published in Columbus, adding two more data points. First, the Wray's concern was that when Jake returned from the concussion protocol, he had to earn his starting spot back.

This week, Sam Wray, the boys’ father, shed more light on the matter. He said that Jake suffered a concussion. When he finished his concussion protocol, Sam said, he was told he had to compete to regain his starting spot.

“I had to get involved and explain to them that’s not a reason he should lose his job,” Sam Wray said. “You shouldn’t shame a kid for having a brain injury that he can’t control.”

Second, they named the other parent who had voiced concerns.

Another parent of a former Franklin player, Peter Batarseh, said that the Wray matter was “the tip of the iceberg” and that the coaching situation there had created a “toxic environment.”

Peter's son graduated last year and now plays for Austin Peay.

Link: http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20171103/ohio-state-gameday--recruiting-watch-prospects-family-high-school-program-at-odds