Franklin

BooWhoWiseMan

20 minutes ago, Referee2 said:

I am hopeful you understand the difference between swearing and verbally attacking someone.  As a coach don't we all have the unwritten or written understanding to:

• Make our players better human beings and better overall citizens
  • Be a role model
  • Coach each player to their individual personalities, meaning some can take strong demands and others need an alternative approach
  • Assist those players that would like to move on to the next level in any means we can
  • Never physically put our hands on a player

Seems fairly simple, and universal throughout all levels of coaching.

Also, Franklin had ZERO players go to college 2 years ago, and I think I heard will have ZERO this year...so I guess they aren't overly concerned about being sworn at in college.

The coach that best helped me take a step toward manhood was also the hardest, including calling us things that got our temper up (which was the point). I am thankful for a tough position coach (went on to win numerous state championships) and tough head coach. I hated and appreciated those two in the same day.

I am not trying to be an old tough guy (because I am not) or "old school". I just know, through life and having raised two sons, that there are times to guide through compassion and times to guide through tough love. Typically, you join a football team not expecting Mr. Rogers as your coach.

I have heard nothing from numerous players and parents I know that indicates that Donnie has done anything short of being a great coach of character. I am sorry if your son had a bad experience.

I am not sure what your point is about players going to play college, but you are incorrect.

Edited by Hubbard
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hubbard said:

The coach that best helped me take a step toward manhood was also the hardest, including calling us things that got our temper up (which was the point). I am thankful for a tough position coach (went on to win numerous state championships) and tough head coach. I hated and appreciated those two in the same day.

I am not trying to be an old tough guy (because I am not) or "old school". I just know, through life and having raised two sons, that there are times to guide through compassion and times to guide through tough love. Typically, you join a football team not expecting Mr. Rogers as your coach.

I have heard nothing from numerous players and parents I know that indicates that Donnie has done anything short of being a great coach of character. I am sorry if you son had a bad experience.

I am not sure what your point is about players going to play college, but you are incorrect.

First, I have no son involved, and I am thankful for that.  I have found incredible interest in the story as there are 2 sides so far apart on what is being told, and I don't mean the Wray family...it's all of the other stuff that has since come out.  For you obviously your coach knew the correct approach and that was to be hard, and it got the desired results from you.  That doesn't mean that's the approach you take with all players.  If families/players appreciate what is going on over there, then all the best, but I've read a lot lately that clearly it isn't every or all of the families/players that think that.  Just unclear on why there is such a difference of opinions.

My point about playing in college is in reference to your statement below.  I just doesn't seem as if that's a priority for the families or the program.  

1 hour ago, Hubbard said:

BTW, if the payer is concerned with cursing, he must not be in the locker room much and should not consider playing in college.

19 minutes ago, Referee2 said:

First, I have no son involved, and I am thankful for that.  I have found incredible interest in the story as there are 2 sides so far apart on what is being told, and I don't mean the Wray family...it's all of the other stuff that has since come out.  For you obviously your coach knew the correct approach and that was to be hard, and it got the desired results from you.  That doesn't mean that's the approach you take with all players.  If families/players appreciate what is going on over there, then all the best, but I've read a lot lately that clearly it isn't every or all of the families/players that think that.  Just unclear on why there is such a difference of opinions.

My point about playing in college is in reference to your statement below.  I just doesn't seem as if that's a priority for the families or the program.  

Just unclear on why there is such a difference of opinions." BECAUSE A FEW SPOILED PARENTS AND THEIR KIDS WANT IT THEIR WAY. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Referee2 said:

To be clear, those two coaches I referred to coached everyone like that. My position coach called me many unpleasant things during drills to push me further. If any us needed to understand how to form tackle, he would show us, as us being the receiver and him the tackler. He did not do it to be mean, to hurt, or to humiliate. Taken out of context, especially today, you would think he hated us. At the end of practice, he was there to tease us and also praise good efforts.

I am not friends with Donnie and he would have no idea who I am. I just know him through the many parents and players that have experienced his coaching. I hate to see those "just wondering" do so by continuing to assert something has gone wrong rather just be interested. Again, passive aggressive.

As an adult, you should know that with this many sets of parents, you are going to have unhappy kids and parents. Most of them will not be so passive aggressive but some will. It is just how our society is.

14 hours ago, Osage said:

Honest question here... I'm reading here that 40+ freshmen start their FHS careers playing football, while Franklin regularly graduates only about half that. What level of attrition would be considered normal (or acceptable, if that is a different answer)?

I think I remember reading somewhere that Brentwood had like 40 something seniors this year. I have no idea if that is normal, nor do I know how many freshmen started playing in the Fall of 2013.

50% attrition is completely normal over 3 years with today's teens. You have kids who all think they are going pro as freshmen. As the years go by many figure out they are not and just quit because they don't want to "ride the bench". Others decide getting a job/car is more important to them. Any time you have what is basically a "no cut" roster, you are going to have a high rate of attrition. Brentwood having 40 seniors is quite out of the ordianry for sure. Look around. There are many schools, even 1000+ student populations, that are lucky to dress 50 kids total.

• Like 2

IDK what the problem is at Franklin High School and the athletic department but something needs to change.  I have been around some very successful high school football all over this country and Franklin has all the tools necessary to be a top 25 team in the country every year.

3 hours ago, cbg said:

IDK what the problem is at Franklin High School and the athletic department but something needs to change.  I have been around some very successful high school football all over this country and Franklin has all the tools necessary to be a top 25 team in the country every year.

No

18 minutes ago, cbg said:

It's easy to say NO but it's more difficult to give sold reasons as to why Franklin could not be a top 25 program.  I know what a Top 25 programs looks like.

They simply DO NOT have the caliber of athletes to be a top 25 team in the country.  Have you seen the animals playing that are in top 25 in country?  Check out Mater Dei, Bishop Gorman, IMG, Miami Northwestern, Bingham Utah, De La Salle, Hoover, St. John Bosco......................shall I continue?  The ONLY school in TN that can maybe play with any of those teams is BA.  Maybe.  That is no disrespect to anyone in our state, but come on....................

39 minutes ago, ocac said:

They simply DO NOT have the caliber of athletes to be a top 25 team in the country.  Have you seen the animals playing that are in top 25 in country?  Check out Mater Dei, Bishop Gorman, IMG, Miami Northwestern, Bingham Utah, De La Salle, Hoover, St. John Bosco......................shall I continue?  The ONLY school in TN that can maybe play with any of those teams is BA.  Maybe.  That is no disrespect to anyone in our state, but come on....................

Johnny remembers the best team in D2 largest group can be ranked in the Top 25 in the country alot of times... Maryville has been ranked in the Top 25 so reckon some times the best 6A team might crack the pole. Thats about it johnny says... Franklin should always have a solid program but no ones thinking yearly top 25 in the nation. come on now feller. 

5a7f0ed1-7305-4fcf-9bda-18469557727a-1709031d-9309-4c2f-a944-fab9105633e3-v1.png?transparent=1&palette=1

Franklin lacked size on the defensive line, and needed more difference-making skills players on the offensive side of the ball. As has been discussed elsewhere, both of those issues will be solved in coming years by welcome additions from sub-varsity.

That aside, they took some razor-think close losses against a few really good teams. The season was a failure, but it was closer than you might think just looking at results on paper.