Franklin

BooWhoWiseMan

2 hours ago, leadfarmer said:

I see your point but what does their father stand to gain from those accusations?

Just speculating, mind... but he's trying not to look like the bad guy here. If concussions were rampant in the program, and you are eyeing 9 figures' worth of NFL contracts growing up around you, you're justified in doing what he did. He may believe himself, for all we know, in which case he really isn't the bad guy, he's just being tooled by OSU.

Editing to add... the father also gains cover for whatever his next move is, assuming that includes getting Jake out of an unsafe environment. That seems to be the message they are going with, according to this story in the Williamson Herald.

Edited by Osage
didn't finish my thought...

10 hours ago, Osage said:

Just speculating, mind... but he's trying not to look like the bad guy here. If concussions were rampant in the program, and you are eyeing 9 figures' worth of NFL contracts growing up around you, you're justified in doing what he did. He may believe himself, for all we know, in which case he really isn't the bad guy, he's just being tooled by OSU.

Editing to add... the father also gains cover for whatever his next move is, assuming that includes getting Jake out of an unsafe environment. That seems to be the message they are going with, according to this story in the Williamson Herald.

I have no dog in this hunt but am curious if anyone other than the Wray family has complained about an unsafe environment or Webb's practice habits.  

The articles mention a couple things I question. 1 the family states they hoped to settle the issue privately. Why give a statement to multiple publications then? 2 The family had concerns over safety issues. If this is true why would you want your sons on the sidelines at all.

I know Webb is well respected among coaches and players. As someone else mentioned almost all schools have trainers who handle all health related matters. I would think if the allegations were true we would have heard about them before now.

Hate it for all involved.

23 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

As someone else mentioned almost all schools have trainers who handle all health related matters. I would think if the allegations were true we would have heard about them before now.

WP, you bring up a good point I hadn't considered. Not only are the Wrays throwing Webb and staff under the bus, they are also (perhaps to a greater extent) claiming the medical staff is in on it. No way Jake is out with a concussion one week and returns the following without them being part of the process.

This has to be one of the craziest things I have seen in high school football. Parents are the cause for this problem. No way coach Webb would allow such nonsense. Sounds like feelings hurt or not getting their way. One poster mentioned loss of  future money. These boys have not played one snap in a college game and may never. Every school has athletic trainers who would never allow a coach to play if unable. I am amazed that anything printed must be true. This is BS at its finest. Coacht has become better than the comics in the newspaper.