New club team

TeeterTot

I have heard that also about the free dues. The pressure on some families to jump clubs is very real. 

I would be concerned with a business that can’t pay their bills. How are they going to pay coaches, staff, tournament entry fees, and the day to day costs to operate and run a club?

Is this the reason you only see a few coaches at High School Matches? I have not seen any coaching roster for age groups. Also, is this the reason they say they are playing less away tournaments? Are they hoping that teams will come to them so the can stay at home and not pay a tournament entry fee?

Despite all the propaganda being sent out, there are plenty of uncertainties that I would seek answers on before making a financial and time commitment to any club. 

If true that they are still receiving financial help from there Parent Club, Sports Performance, that revenue stream might get cut off also. According to the VolleyTalk Message Board the Great Lakes Power League is losing a large number of teams to the revamped Windy City Power League due to the Rick Connection. According to AES, 5 teams for GLPL, 300+ for the WCPL. Losing that many teams will be a massive financial hit for the “mothership.”

http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/73774/rick-butler-article-york-times?page=64

Cant stress it enough, do the homework, talk to the coaches, other parents, not just the marketing propaganda and make the best decision for your family.

Good luck!

23 hours ago, VBDad615 said:

I have heard that also about the free dues. The pressure on some families to jump clubs is very real. 

I would be concerned with a business that can’t pay their bills. How are they going to pay coaches, staff, tournament entry fees, and the day to day costs to operate and run a club?

Is this the reason you only see a few coaches at High School Matches? I have not seen any coaching roster for age groups. Also, is this the reason they say they are playing less away tournaments? Are they hoping that teams will come to them so the can stay at home and not pay a tournament entry fee?

Despite all the propaganda being sent out, there are plenty of uncertainties that I would seek answers on before making a financial and time commitment to any club. 

If true that they are still receiving financial help from there Parent Club, Sports Performance, that revenue stream might get cut off also. According to the VolleyTalk Message Board the Great Lakes Power League is losing a large number of teams to the revamped Windy City Power League due to the Rick Connection. According to AES, 5 teams for GLPL, 300+ for the WCPL. Losing that many teams will be a massive financial hit for the “mothership.”

http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/73774/rick-butler-article-york-times?page=64

Cant stress it enough, do the homework, talk to the coaches, other parents, not just the marketing propaganda and make the best decision for your family.

Good luck!

Free/reduced fees are offered by most clubs.  That is not exclusive to TPV

Correct Teeter it isn't unique.  I have always seen it based on financial need, but I am sure it has happened many times that it was not known to anyone else.  I have no problem with helping families out that can't afford club dues.  Unfortunately volleyball has pretty much become an affluent sport, in our area anyway. 

2 hours ago, clifford20 said:

Correct Teeter it isn't unique.  I have always seen it based on financial need, but I am sure it has happened many times that it was not known to anyone else.  I have no problem with helping families out that can't afford club dues.  

Which is not not the same as "...they are offering free club to key Alliance players to lure them to their club.

I wrote earlier in this thread that if I were TPV, I'd do everything possible to poach all the top Alliance kids. The business model basically requires this. If TPV says "Our training is better", and top TPV teams go out and finish mid-pack in club-level events, then they lose credibility. TPV set a baseline last year with their performance, and really it would not be too hard to improve on what they did last year across the board. But if they can get some good Alliance kids, then they will REALLY improve. Look at it through that perspective, and this all makes perfect sense.

Thing is, they need to be up front about it. Nobody is playing for free. If a kid's dues are waived, that means everybody else is chipping in to offset that.. 

Edited by Osage
I cant spell

Osage, I agree totally with you about it being good business sense and they have nowhere but up to improve. I also agreed that most clubs do offer financial assistance through various different programs. It is usually a private matter between club and families. This has been out there and known by all which makes it hard for families who aren’t getting the “free ride” to accept, especially if these kids are taking their spot on a team. Make no mistake, they are going after a few top kids with offers of a “free ride” which the costs will be absorbed by the other families. There are kids who don’t want to jump clubs but are stuck in the middle of a parents choice for free club dues. The tactic will work for some families to make the move and hope it works out. If it does not turn out like the propaganda sold to the families it will leave those kids stuck in the middle.

Welcome to club volleyball.

We played at C2 Attack last year, and barring any unseen change will do so again. It's not perfect, but where is? Bottom line, my kid enjoyed it & got much better. They had a great season, solid coaching, and finishing 3rd in 17 Power last year at the SRVA tourney. We had 2 kids from the Station Camp team and other solid kids that gelled pretty well from around town.

Edited by Rockstar89

We were with Alliance last year and returned this year. I was worried the numbers would drop significantly but was pleased to see more players at tryouts than last season for our same age group.  I did hear the numbers at TPV were a little more than ours, but they take more teams so that is to be expected.  We lost a few players from our team last year who decided to go check them out, but I think we also gained a few who were doing the same thing.

Watching school ball I saw some good players out of both clubs. It would be neat to watch the Alliance 1's play TPV 1's and down the line but that won't happen for a while if ever. I'm just shocked to see both clubs hosting tournaments the same weekend - and having good participation at both. There's a whole world of kids out there who play ball and I'm just baffled at how each sport / club have their own world/lingo/etc. Friends who play club softball and swim - they have these big events as well. The size of teen events is what has me still baffled as I never participated in these as a child.