Oakdale Basketball

VFL44

On 12/6/2017 at 0:32 AM, Vols2016 said:

Looks like Oakdale is exceeding expectations with 15 point win over Harriman and 102-67 massacre of Wartburg. Even though it is early Oakdale looks to be the top team in the district. Jackson Hicks has to be the clear favorite for player of the year especially after tonight triple double 43points 10 AST 10 Reb and didn't play last 5 min of the game. 

Finally got a chance to see OD play. Really struggled with a Stone Mem team that I doubt finishes anywhere near .500

If they're the best team in the district... then the district has slipped significantly this year. (IMO, Would have been 5th, at best, last year in d4a) I've just seen them once, so maybe it was just an off game. But not much size, tallest player that played a lot looked maybe 6 foot tall, 6'1 max with shoes....one impact player with 5 or 6 solid role players. Really miss the Smith kid that graduated. Pretty good hustle overall, not very athletic. Really limited both sides of ball on the interior. Moved the ball pretty good, appeared to be able to shoot fairly decently... 

At this point, I'd be stunned if either (WB (seen twice) or OD) wins a region game...unless this new region (with new district 4 )is just really, really weak. Still early though, could change.

Edited by CAH09

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an observation.....but the Oneida-Oakdale game this Friday is a little bigger now that both are at the top or near it, right?  Oneida has improved their ability to take some close games over the last several weeks.  They seem hungry to find a quality win and that opportunity is coming up next.  I think they will challenge Oakdale.

I saw OD last night. If  you are going to challenge them you better have 5 guys that can defend their man one on one. If you come off to help on the dribble you will pay with a made 3 pointer or a layup. Very tough to defend right now.

Edited by wiley

Over the last several years Oakdale has had numerous teams that were hard to defend.   Oneida will be wise to defend the three and keep their rim protectors close to protect against the dribble drive.  I do think the Indians are a bit stronger inside.  Of course if you are trading 3's for 2's, then the threes are the higher multiple. (however you have to hit a high percentage of them)   Interesting game to see if Oneida is making progress over the last several teams.

Kazzy

Coalfield was strong inside as well. Tried to play zone but OD attacked zone better than I remember in past years. Coalfield then tried to go small and play man. You could tell Coalfield hasn't worked on their man much. They got burned watching the basketball several times.. Good luck to you..

This Oneida team will definitely put up a better fight than years past but I just don't see anybody in the district taking down Oakdale anytime soon. Thought Harriman could give them a scare and Oakdale beat them by 16. A lot of guys not named Hicks are stepping up and playing extremely well.

Edited by CumberlandMauler
Forgot a sentence. Lol.

1 hour ago, wiley said:

Coalfield was strong inside as well. Tried to play zone but OD attacked zone better than I remember in past years. Coalfield then tried to go small and play man. You could tell Coalfield hasn't worked on their man much. They got burned watching the basketball several times.. Good luck to you..

CF clearly isn't ready for prime time at this point...that's understandable... new coach, football and best player out.  Defense is a major work in progress... actually, they didn't  seem to have one in the games I saw.  Plus, they shot waaay too many bad 3s to beat quality teams. Must have shot 30 or more in each the couple games I saw. Kept missing, just kept shooting.  I'm sure they'll improve moving forward.

OD clearly the frontrunner out of the gate.... much better second time I saw them. #2 much less clear after that point. WB seems erratic as well. 

Edited by CAH09

It will take a solid effort to knock off Oakdale.....they keep coming.  Oneida played well enough in the game to have won it, but lost too much momentum there in the end.  Someone told me we wouldn't get within 10 of the Eagles.  I took the points.....thank you very much.....!  Christmas Money, always helps to get a bonus.  I was impressed with both teams....one is growing and one has quality experience that will serve them well this year.

Kaz 

• 1 month later...

Nah, I don't think so. They've played pretty consistently all year. They aren't very big overall and teams can take advantage of that at times. Both the Harriman and Oneida games could have gone either way. AC is mediocre, but still a much larger school.

The district tourney is pretty much a tossup going in, OD has as much of a shot as three or four other teams. I could see them finishing anywhere between 1 & 4. They shoot and move the ball pretty well, plus hustle defensively, but their lack of size could do them in on a given night vs either Harriman, Oneida or CF. All three of those teams are much bigger. 

Going in....Harriman and OD are probably slight favorites over the second group of WB, RW, CF and Oneida. CF probably has the highest ceiling of all 6, but it doesn't look like they're going to figure it out this year. Good size, No knock-down shooters, yet they still like to stand and clank 3s. WB is hit or miss....unlikely to hit 3 games in a row. Oneida could surprise a team or two; decent size/skill on the block. RW likely out early, but capable of a win one or two.