Memphis BB

TonyG

Penny Hardaway National Hoopfest: What we learned

John Varlas, USA TODAY NETWORK – TennesseePublished 12:50 a.m. CT Jan. 7, 2018 | Updated 8:59 a.m. CT Jan. 7, 2018

Generic basketball

(Photo: MomentousPhotoVideo, Getty Images/iStockphoto)

The annual Penny Hardaway ARS/Rescue Rooter National Hoopfest offered plenty of good high school basketball action Friday at Olive Branch and Saturday at White Station. Here's what we learned from the annual event, which was presented by Conway Services Heating, Plumbing and Cooling.

East is human

The two-time defending state champs went into the holidays as the No. 1 ranked team in the nation. But the Mustangs lost to University (Fla.) in the championship game of the City of Palms tournament in Fort Myers, Fla. and dropped both of its games over the weekend.

Host Olive Branch defeated East 73-70 on Friday and Chicago Simeon downed the Mustangs 78-73 in overtime Saturday at White Station. It's the first time since 2014 the Mustangs (12-3) have lost three in a row.

"We have to be ready to roll," said coach Penny Hardaway after the Simeon loss. "Right now, I don't know. We're not there mentally."

East had a chance to win in regulation against Simeon, but Alex Lomax dribbled into a double-team and lost possession of the ball before getting off a final shot. Talen Horton-Tucker, a physical guard who is headed to Iowa State, scored 24 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead the Wolverines, who have played in all eight Hoopfests and have never lost.

Chandler Lawson scored 28 to lead East, while Lomax finished with a triple-double (13 points, 10 rebounds, 12 assists). 

The Mustangs will be back at White Station Tuesday to open District 16-AAA play.

Whitehaven isn't just a football school

Whitehaven was the most impressive local team on Saturday, taking down nationally-ranked Huntington (W.Va.) Prep, 60-55. Cameron Jones scored 23 points to lead the Tigers, who improved to 15-1. 

It could have been worse; the Tigers missed 19 free throws and several lay-ups against a much taller opponent.

"That's been our key, to have a team that plays with tremendous effort (and) plays with a tremendous desire and commitment to winning," said Tigers coach Faragi Phillips. "Sharing is a big part of what our team is about. Sharing on offense, sharing on defense, sharing off the floor.

"That's something I'm very, very firm about and hopefully it gets through to the kids."

Matthew Murrell added 13 for the Whitehaven while Alvin Miles chipped in with 12. The Tigers host East on Friday in what should be an interesting district game.

You have to be up for every game

After being sky-high following the win over East, Olive Branch was brought back down to earth in a 49-47 loss to Cordova. The Quistors (12-2) looked lethargic all game and finished just 1 of 18 from 3-point range.

"I told them the last thing we needed (Saturday) was a letdown," said Olive Branch coach Eric Rombaugh. "In every game you've got a choice to make; are you going to play hard and do it the right way or are we going to be hard-headed and struggle?

"The energy wasn't there ... (Friday) took a lot out of us but no excuses. Cordova did a good job."

It was indeed a good victory for the Wolves (12-6) who were led by Tyler Harris' 24 points.

"I'm sure that after they beat East, they were going to be like 'oh well, we're playing Cordova. We know we're going to beat those guys,'" said Harris. "But me, I'm confident in us playing with anybody. The only way we can lose is if we (beat) ourselves."

Cameron Matthews had 18 points and 13 rebounds to lead Olive Branch but highly-regarded junior D.J. Jeffries was a non-factor, scoring just four points on 1 of 9 shooting.

Hamilton is for real

Memphis hasn't had a Class AA state champion since 2002, when Ridgeway lifted the gold ball. Hamilton is starting to look the team that could remedy that.

Following a convincing road victory at Nashville Pearl-Cohn on Friday, the Wildcats improved to 16-2 with a 65-56 victory over Chicago Whitney Young. Martrell Brooks led the way with 19 points, 12 rebounds and eight assists. Jordan Johnson and James DeJesus, who have bolstered the team after transferring from Central and East respectively, added 18 and 13.

Reach John Varlas at john.varlas@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter @johnvarlas.

Impressed with Whitehaven so far. I think they also had a case of not getting up for the (Tuesday vs BCS) next game after Saturday’s big win against Huntington Prep. I've seen it too many times (especially CBHS over the last 6 years) when the public schools face private schools and get off to slow starts and don’t show the same fire underneath them as they would facing a divisional/regional foe. Not taking anything away from Briarcrest by saying that and I actually think they have a legit chance of stopping the BA 4peat, Ced Jr is balling and could benefit from a year of prep school to put him on the radar also Kennedy Chandler will be nice for 2021. Speaking of Brentwood Academy, I think this is the first year that Garland's supporting cast is not decent enough for him to carry them past just about any opponent and their 3 early loses shows that (which is the tied for the most loses that BA has had in a season during the Garland Era).  

Back to Whitehaven, I spoke up the talented incoming 2020 class that they were getting nearly 2 years ago although I expected Cameron Matthews (OB) to be part of it due to coaching ties. Matthew Murrell is a budding star with God given athleticism at a young age. Alvin is an extremely talented small guard and will be overlooked for his career but will find a way to play on the next level similar to Phillip’s old Naba Echols. Cam Jones is good when he doesn’t want to be the hero, it’s fun to see him play team oriented ball at times and I do not think he understands how much it opens up the floor for him when he does so (check the 23 against Huntington he was unselfish that day).  If the weather permits, I won’t be shocked if they give East #4 tomorrow night at home.

Speaking of East, #4 can definitely happen tomorrow night I felt that way after seeing them lose two last weekend and felt that way even more after seeing them win Tuesday by 40 against Whitehaven. How could I possibly feel that way after doubling the opponents team? Because both the Lawson’s weren’t dressed out at all, which is not a surprise if you saw the exchange of words Saturday night between Robert Jackson and Keelon Lawson. Supposedly they are going back to Hamilton, but a rumor doesn’t matter until its verified. East is still talented without them but the team will only have 8 players left that they actually play and maybe 7 because Jalen Brown would leave too IMO because he is their first cousin. Call it East hate all you want but anyone can see that they are missing guard play this year and Moss’s departure is felt, outside of Lomax they don’t have any true dependable guards. It will be interesting to see how the year turns out.

Oh wow that's interesting coming out of East. I definetly thought they would miss TJ. He was a three year starter that shot the ball better than anyone else they have. I thought Chandler was the best the one on the floor Saturday.  I wonder what the gripe was about with Keelson and the coach.

On 1/11/2018 at 10:00 AM, TonyG said:

Impressed with Whitehaven so far. I think they also had a case of not getting up for the (Tuesday vs BCS) next game after Saturday’s big win against Huntington Prep. I've seen it too many times (especially CBHS over the last 6 years) when the public schools face private schools and get off to slow starts and don’t show the same fire underneath them as they would facing a divisional/regional foe. Not taking anything away from Briarcrest by saying that and I actually think they have a legit chance of stopping the BA 4peat, Ced Jr is balling and could benefit from a year of prep school to put him on the radar also Kennedy Chandler will be nice for 2021. Speaking of Brentwood Academy, I think this is the first year that Garland's supporting cast is not decent enough for him to carry them past just about any opponent and their 3 early loses shows that (which is the tied for the most loses that BA has had in a season during the Garland Era).  

Back to Whitehaven, I spoke up the talented incoming 2020 class that they were getting nearly 2 years ago although I expected Cameron Matthews (OB) to be part of it due to coaching ties. Matthew Murrell is a budding star with God given athleticism at a young age. Alvin is an extremely talented small guard and will be overlooked for his career but will find a way to play on the next level similar to Phillip’s old Naba Echols. Cam Jones is good when he doesn’t want to be the hero, it’s fun to see him play team oriented ball at times and I do not think he understands how much it opens up the floor for him when he does so (check the 23 against Huntington he was unselfish that day).  If the weather permits, I won’t be shocked if they give East #4 tomorrow night at home.

Speaking of East, #4 can definitely happen tomorrow night I felt that way after seeing them lose two last weekend and felt that way even more after seeing them win Tuesday by 40 against Whitehaven. How could I possibly feel that way after doubling the opponents team? Because both the Lawson’s weren’t dressed out at all, which is not a surprise if you saw the exchange of words Saturday night between Robert Jackson and Keelon Lawson. Supposedly they are going back to Hamilton, but a rumor doesn’t matter until its verified. East is still talented without them but the team will only have 8 players left that they actually play and maybe 7 because Jalen Brown would leave too IMO because he is their first cousin. Call it East hate all you want but anyone can see that they are missing guard play this year and Moss’s departure is felt, outside of Lomax they don’t have any true dependable guards. It will be interesting to see how the year turns out.

How could they be able to go back to Hamilton without sitting out a year?  Surely T$$AA wouldn’t allow that would they?

On 1/12/2018 at 3:15 PM, terop said:

Oh wow that's interesting coming out of East. I definetly thought they would miss TJ. He was a three year starter that shot the ball better than anyone else they have. I thought Chandler was the best the one on the floor Saturday.  I wonder what the gripe was about with Keelson and the coach.

the conversation revolved around "choking"

On 1/11/2018 at 10:00 AM, TonyG said:

Because both the Lawson’s weren’t dressed out at all, which is not a surprise if you saw the exchange of words Saturday night between Robert Jackson and Keelon Lawson. Supposedly they are going back to Hamilton, but a rumor doesn’t matter until its verified. 

RJ and KL?

Memphis high school basketball: Boys Dandy Dozen

John Varlas, USA TODAY NETWORK – TennesseePublished 7:00 a.m. CT Jan. 16, 2018

636512039926921792-briarcrest-whitehaven03.jpg

(Photo: Yalonda M. James, The Commercial Appeal)

Here is this week's Commercial Appeal boys basketball Dandy Dozen. Rankings are based on games played through Jan. 13.

1. East (13-3)

Last week: 2

This week: Thursday vs. Central; Friday at Overton; Saturday vs. Southwest Christian (Ark.)

2. Southwind (17-1)

Last week: 3

This week: Tuesday vs. Houston; Friday at Collierville

3. Briarcrest (19-0)

Last week: 6

This week: Played Ridgeway Monday in the Martin Luther King Classic at Lausanne; Friday at MUS

4. Whitehaven (14-2)

Last week: 1

This week: Tuesday at Central; Friday vs. White Station 

5. Olive Branch (12-3)

Last week: 4

This week: Tuesday vs. Byhalia; Thursday vs. Okolona (Miss.); Friday at Lake Cormorant

6. Hamilton (16-2)

Last week: 5

This week: Tuesday at Sheffield; Friday at GRAD Academy

7. Cordova (13-6)

Last week: 7

This week: Tuesday vs. Bolton; Friday at Bartlett

8. Central (12-4)

Last week: 8

This week: Tuesday vs. Whitehaven; Thursday at East; Saturday at Montgomery (Ala.) Lee

9. CBHS (15-3)

Last week: 9

This week: Saturday at St. Benedict

10. Bolton (11-4)

Last week: 10

This week: Tuesday at Cordova; Friday at Arlington

11. Bartlett (11-5)

Last week: 12

This week: Friday vs. Cordova

12. Douglass (11-1)

Last week: NR

This week: Tuesday vs. KIPP; Friday vs. Middle College

Dropped out: MAHS (12-3)

Bubbling under: Center Hill (14-4); Covington (14-4); W.E.B. DuBois A&T (12-2); Fayette-Ware (13-5); Manassas (11-4); Ridgeway (10-6)

Reach John Varlas at john.varlas@commercialappeal.com or on Twitter @johnvarlas.