Catholic vs Oak Ridge: A Rivalry is Born

WilleTheWildcat

18 minutes ago, JNewman said:

I think it's important to keep in mind that we have played some very potent offenses this year. And while Catholic has put up some great numbers on offense---they have also given up loads of points too. Catholic has scored a whopping 423 points this season. But they have given up more points than most teams have actually scored with 320. Oak Ridge by comparison has put up 270 points while only allowing 159. The teams Catholic has played (with the exception of their three losses) were predominantly high powered offenses with porous defenses. This game will not be a high scoring affair. Oak Ridge's defense is more than capable of going toe to toe with Catholic. I would take a team of solid high school players that play as a single unit over a team made up of all stars who don't play as a unit. 

There are a plethora of reasons why sportswriters have pointed to Catholic as an unstoppable force. But that doesn't make it true. I will say this though---if Catholic's defense was half as good as it's offense---they would very likely be 11-1 or 12-0. As an aside---you would be astonished at how many people refused to believe me when I suggested that Oak Ridge had a better record. Over half thought Catholic was 12-0. Don't write off Oak Ridge just yet. I know the tendency to see this as a "David vs Goliath" match-up is there---but that is not the case. Just like with Fulton---the thing many still believe is that Fulton was the superior team---had Oak Ridge beat in all facets---and that because of blind luck---the Wildcats "shocked the world." The reality is---that wasn't an upset anymore than beating West was. And it's not an "upset" no matter who wins tomorrow night. This won't be a high scoring shoot out where Oak Ridge has to try to outpace Catholic and go score for score with them to have a chance. There will be points scored---but it won't be 40+ put on OR. Oak Ridge has far too many weapons of their own and too many variables playing in their favor to assume that Catholic will be able to walk all over the Wildcats. Catholic is a very good team. But defense wins the day in this one. 

Oak Ridge by 5.

Your math is slightly off. We've scored 526 points and given up 355. Almost half those points came in the 3 losses. Eagles Landing is the best high school team I've seen in my 40+ years of watching games. Brentwood and Maryville should win gold balls. Other than the losses (and a mental lapse vs. Soddy Daisy) most of the scoring has been against the freshmen and sophomores late in the games. We were also missing key defensive players for several of our games. 

We've been explosive at times on offense but can also pound it out too. Don't sleep on our special teams either. Our biggest weakness is probably lack of depth and about a miles worth of penalties. Our record is pretty indicative of our scheduling.  Eagles Landing and Brentwood probably beat us 10 out of 10 times. We led Maryville up until the last minute of the game. 

I don't think we're overlooking any team at this point of the year. I'm looking forward to a good game and think we're capable of putting up some points. I hope the game is injury free and both teams play up to their potential. Good luck to both teams.

Go IRISH!!!

3 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Do you really want me to be honest? You usually don't like it when I'm really blunt. Seriously, I don't feel really good about our chances, but our guys are playing with a lot of confidence right now, especially the defense. As you and a few other posters have pointed out already the offense has to be a LOT better for us to have a chance to win this game. We have relied on them way too much this year to bail us out(the D), and you can only ask so much of them, especially against an O the calibur of Catholic. We cannot go into one of those lapses for long periods of time on offense like we have a lot the past few years. We can't have a lot of 3 and outs, either. We need to win the field position battle! Make them drive the length of the field!

I'm pulling for your boys Sweets if that'll help any!LOL.

7 hours ago, JNewman said:

I think it's important to keep in mind that we have played some very potent offenses this year. And while Catholic has put up some great numbers on offense---they have also given up loads of points too. Catholic has scored a whopping 423 points this season. But they have given up more points than most teams have actually scored with 320. Oak Ridge by comparison has put up 270 points while only allowing 159. The teams Catholic has played (with the exception of their three losses) were predominantly high powered offenses with porous defenses. This game will not be a high scoring affair. Oak Ridge's defense is more than capable of going toe to toe with Catholic. I would take a team of solid high school players that play as a single unit over a team made up of all stars who don't play as a unit. 

There are a plethora of reasons why sportswriters have pointed to Catholic as an unstoppable force. But that doesn't make it true. I will say this though---if Catholic's defense was half as good as it's offense---they would very likely be 11-1 or 12-0. As an aside---you would be astonished at how many people refused to believe me when I suggested that Oak Ridge had a better record. Over half thought Catholic was 12-0. Don't write off Oak Ridge just yet. I know the tendency to see this as a "David vs Goliath" match-up is there---but that is not the case. Just like with Fulton---the thing many still believe is that Fulton was the superior team---had Oak Ridge beat in all facets---and that because of blind luck---the Wildcats "shocked the world." The reality is---that wasn't an upset anymore than beating West was. And it's not an "upset" no matter who wins tomorrow night. This won't be a high scoring shoot out where Oak Ridge has to try to outpace Catholic and go score for score with them to have a chance. There will be points scored---but it won't be 40+ put on OR. Oak Ridge has far too many weapons of their own and too many variables playing in their favor to assume that Catholic will be able to walk all over the Wildcats. Catholic is a very good team. But defense wins the day in this one. 

Oak Ridge by 5.

I love the way you think!

RWR!!!!

9 hours ago, SweetScience said:

I am a huge fan of both, but if I were to choose my favorite it would definitely be OR football, no questions asked! But I do love OR basketball too! Have very fond memories of going to games in both sports with my dad, especially football. I can still remember as a kid going to old reel to reel film sessions with him when Bill Young was the coach and Coach Young gave me Tommy Laurendine's chin strap, because he was and still is my favorite Wildcat! I'm with you.

I never realized that about you....so I like you even more! Lol....

RWR!!!!!!!

On 11/11/2017 at 8:31 AM, catswild said:

A rivalry is born?????  I hope not!  TSSAA needs to grow a pair and put them in the private school division where they belong!  BA kicked them around and they want none of that, so TSSAA allowed them to stay in the public division.  What a joke. But while they are in the wrong place, let's give them a rude Blankenship welcome and surprise them on the field!

them dad blame private schools

Booger just sayin :?