William blount offseason thread

William Blount took the ball and drove it 70 yards for a touchdown on the first series this evening against South-Doyle and sort of went into hibernation after that. There is a lot to work on but no doubt this team bottomed out last year. The QB is going to be a good one and had some impressive throws. I think they needed a game like this because there is no doubt S-D will be one of best teams out of Knoxville if not the best. There are five games on WB's schedule they have a good chance as any of winning.  There are five other games that don't look as favorable. Going to have to hold onto the ball a little better and there were a few picks but two of those three I can't really blame the QB on.  Defence needs to get better but I did see some hard licks thrown out there this evening. 

Barney, 

The thing that concerns me most is  that I dont see a go-to guy on our offense who is a real threat to score on any play. It seems like we always have that one guy who is the obvious star. I dont see that guy on this team. At least I dont see him yet.

If we have to rely on the run game and sustained drives on a regular basis then we are in big big trouble. The o-line is still really struggling. I still dont see a line that is capable of competing in 6A. Oh, and the defensive woes still continue to put it mildly!

Edited by TheGuvna

20 minutes ago, TheGuvna said:

Barney, 

What concerns me most is that I dont see a go-to guy on our offense who is a real threat to score on any play like we have had every season in recent years.

If we have to rely on the run game and sustained drives on a regular basis then we are in big big trouble. The o-line is still really struggling to block and the defensive woes continue.

This team will have to crawl before it can walk but I see a good QB that will be around for a long while that will get better as he gets more games under his belt.  Playing a team like they did tonight and they played a lot longer than I expected after the time went off the scoreboard. Think it ended out 42-14. The two scores WB had were pretty good drives.

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

This team will have to crawl before it can walk but I see a good QB that will be around for a long while that will get better as he gets more games under his belt.  Playing a team like they did tonight and they played a lot longer than I expected after the time went off the scoreboard. Think it ended out 42-14. The two scores WB had were pretty good drives.

Barney,

We have a long way to go.

Edited by TheGuvna

9 hours ago, TheGuvna said:

Barney,

We have a long way to go.

The team don't have any depth. They drove on the first series and after that ran out of gas. I looked at the schedule to see what teams they play that will most likely have the same issues and that would be three to five of them. That would be the games they have the best chance in. Your coach has a hard time during the seasons I've seen alternating players and keeping fresh horses and will ride them to their gossel comes out.  It was of little benefit yesterday to keep playing after the time went off the scoreboard. They played a couple more series just like a game with the chains except the scoreboard couldn't say 5th quarter and even 6 so they turned it off. The team was totally fatigued and it was like watching them line up and try to run through a bolder. They even fumbled it to SD deep on their side and gave them a free be at the end of the scrimmage.

Barney,

TheGuvna has sat through a decade of losing seasons and last year was by far the worst season I have seen yet. And it was tough to go out there last Friday and see the Govs struggle the way they did. We still have all of the same problems we had last year. I dont see defense anywhere in sight. And I am really concerned about the fact that we dont seem to have a big playmaker on offense. 

14 minutes ago, TheGuvna said:

Barney,

TheGuvna has sat through a decade of losing seasons and last year was by far the worst season I have seen yet. And it was tough to go out there last Friday and see the Govs struggle the way they did. We still have all of the same problems we had last year. I dont see defense anywhere in sight. And I am really concerned about the fact that we dont seem to have a big playmaker on offense. 

I'm not a fan of riding a kid to death during a game. Some coaches have done well with this theory but after watching GQ separate the defensive and offensive players into then come 4th quarter even the best teams fell to the side from fatigue. This team did open with a great drive Friday and that's what I keep seeing and coming back to. I'm going to be flat honest here, my guess is 3-7 which is fine considering how everything fell apart last year but this will be a good foundation for the next years team to build from.  They have it in them to go 5-5 if they want it bad enough but if the short practices and taking a week off for fall break happen again the program will just repeat itself all over again.  At that time you have every right to push the panic button. Gov S-D is a very good football team and might go all the way this year.